September 20, 2014, 02:11:22 AM

Author Topic: Canon MP-E 65 macro lens possibly discontinued, unrepairable  (Read 640 times)

cr1122

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Canon MP-E 65 macro lens possibly discontinued, unrepairable
« on: March 07, 2014, 04:02:29 PM »
Based on a thread at a popular macro photography forum, the unique Canon MP-E 65 1-5x macro lens is no longer manufactured and is not repairable long-term due to a lack of parts.  A letter from Canon-UK is posted at this link, lending credibility to this rumor:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1362660

However, the various Canon regions do not seem to have the same information.  However, Canon USA is apparently telling US customers that all is well and the lens continues in production.  At least one of these sources of information is mistaken!

This is very confusing to us hard-core macro enthusiasts since many of us would purchase a spare MP-E 65 lens as a backup if the lens is truly no longer manufactured and is not repairable.  I don't personally have the money to buy a $1050 backup lens unless it is really essential.

One longs for the truth about these issues.  I wish Canon would issue an official statement worldwide so we'd know the truth with certainty.   On the other hand, if they announced the lens being discontinued, I fear that the worldwide stock of new lenses would quickly disappear! 

Does anyone know how to get an official statement out of Canon?  Can the legendary Chuck Westfall help?

canon rumors FORUM

Canon MP-E 65 macro lens possibly discontinued, unrepairable
« on: March 07, 2014, 04:02:29 PM »

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Canon MP-E 65 macro lens possibly discontinued, unrepairable
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 06:08:33 PM »
I really hope that some knowledgeable folks have something to say about this topic! The MP-E 65 has been on my wishlist for a long time now...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 07:15:50 PM »
Regarding the person who was told the MP-E 65mm has been out of production for >12 years, that's not true.  My copy (which I bought used) has a UT date code, meaning it was made in 2005. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dgatwood

• 5D Mark III
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 11:58:52 AM »
Canon USA still sells that lens new:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/mp_e_65mm_f_2_8_1_5x_macro_photo

Notice the "Buy now" link.

However that doesn't preclude the possibility that Canon UK hasn't sold it in a while and no longer stocks parts for it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 11:58:52 AM »