October 22, 2014, 08:57:48 AM

Author Topic: Collecting gear  (Read 4510 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: Collecting gear
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 08:50:39 PM »
I'd argue that, the 17TS-E and 1.4 TC make the 24 TS-E close to redundant, and the 135 f2 and 100 Macro L are so similar I've yet to meet anybody that can reliably distinguish between images shot with either.
Many real estate shooters use both the TS-E 17 and 24mm. While the 17mm is a phenomenal lens it is not perfect. When you put on a TC the image degrades and you lose 1 stop of light so while you might get 24mm focal length you most certainly do not get a TS-E 24mm f/3.5 II.

Difference in IQ between TS-E 17mm with 1.4x-III and  TS-E 24mm II is not negligible. Just take a look at sample crops...
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=486&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=487&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=3&APIComp=1

In terms of extending the 17mm, I would think that you'd probably be better off putting it on a crop body to retain your f/4 max aperture and avoid TC-IQ-degradation but then as side effects you'd be closer to 28mm and you'd lose some high-ISO noise performance.

Well I know a lot of real estate photographers and I don't know one with the two TS-E's, heck I am unusual in my market, $500k - $2M with the 17. Those that are considering gear purchases are looking at video and this seasons darling, UAV's.

As for the IQ, well it falls into the how much is good enough, firstly I don't think the linked comparison is a good one, Bryan didn't get a good combo for that test, however, my main RE customer is a multi million dollar developer, they regularly make posters and high end printed literature out of my 17 and 1.4 TC images so the IQ is pretty stellar and it is certainly better than the MkI 24 TS-E by itself and we used those for years without complaint. Retaining f4 really isn't a factor for anything but artistic uses and I haven't done comparisons of the 17 plus 1.4 against naked on my EOS-M, maybe next time I am out with it all, I wouldn't think iso is an issue either, after all to get the best out of the TS-E's you have to use a tripod.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 08:50:39 PM »

Lightmaster

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2014, 05:57:07 AM »
i don´t know if that is scientific proven but most collectors have a litte mental problem in my experience. something is missing in their lives so they have to fill it with things. thought nobody will admit this.

i guess it´s a mild version of hoarding.

my motto: is what you own, owns you.

so i only buy and keep what i need.
if something is not usefull for me, i sell it on ebay.

the only things i, kind of, collect are books.
but only the books i know i read again and again.
most books are sold on ebay too after i read them once.

i really think that some photogs have a problem with acquiring and collecting gear.

we joke about it .. call it GAS.
but imho it´s a mild version of a mental illness.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2014, 07:04:47 PM »
i don´t know if that is scientific proven but most collectors have a litte mental problem in my experience. something is missing in their lives so they have to fill it with things. thought nobody will admit this.

i guess it´s a mild version of hoarding.

my motto: is what you own, owns you.

so i only buy and keep what i need.
if something is not usefull for me, i sell it on ebay.

the only things i, kind of, collect are books.
but only the books i know i read again and again.
most books are sold on ebay too after i read them once.

i really think that some photogs have a problem with acquiring and collecting gear.

we joke about it .. call it GAS.
but imho it´s a mild version of a mental illness.

I think collecting camera gear, new or old, is as valid a hobby as photography, sometimes they overlap, sometimes they don't. The only thing that bugs me is when collectors start lecturing photographers about what gear they need because of a review, a test page somewhere, or some irrelevant minuitie. Maybe posters should be classed, i think my advice is always bad for collectors, but generally pragmatic and based on user experience for photographers. But it is always worth what you paid for it  :D
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

EricFiskCGD

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • How many lenses are enough? One More!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 11:18:12 AM »

I have no problems admitting it.
EOS Rebel T3i
EF-S 18-55mm
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II

Rams_eos

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 12:55:06 PM »
Just to share my experience.
I acquired the T3i 18-55 two years ago and started to “collect” lenses.
I first went to the 70-200 F4L mainly because I wanted high quality and the size does match very well the camera.
The image quality is just excellent :).
But if I would do it again, I would go for the 70-300L as you never get enough reach ;).
I considered the EFS 17-55 F 2.8 which I tried and is extremely good, but after spending too many time on this addicting forum, I thought I would go Full Frame at some point (I just received my new 6D last week).
My next lens was the Macro 100 F2.8 L IS. I thought the 70-200 was sharp but this one is just answome. Very good purchase :).
I also have the Shorty Forty and I love it with the T3i as a walk around. You can’t get sharper for 149$. With it, I use Microsoft ICE for Landscape and I am very happy with results.
I try to avoid GAS (see other thread) but visiting this forum help in deciding what I need.
So, as some mention, think about what you shoot and select the tools for that.

EricFiskCGD

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • How many lenses are enough? One More!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 03:03:23 PM »
I try to avoid GAS (see other thread) but visiting this forum help in deciding what I need.

Gear Aquisition Syndrome - GAS
EOS Rebel T3i
EF-S 18-55mm
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 03:03:23 PM »