December 19, 2014, 10:24:46 PM

Author Topic: How can I get this apple sharp?  (Read 1738 times)

Forceflow

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
Re: How can I get this apple sharp?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 09:27:50 AM »
The issue isn't that the background is too close, it's that you are too close to the object in order to get a big enough DOF at all. I am not quite sure about the dimensions in the OPs pic and it might just work, but in my case I was way too close to get anywhere near enough DOF to make this shot work. This is not a cropped shot, check out the much larger version on my deviantArt account:
http://christophmaier.deviantart.com/art/Apple-in-the-Rain-175441292
DOF will only get you so far, you might be able to get an okay sharpness throughout the image but never the crisp clean look when working with multiple shots. And once you get anywhere into near macro distances there's just no way to get enough DOF in one shot. And he's pushing it with f/14 already I'd say.
Canon 7D - Canon 50mm 1.8 - Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L - Canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS - SIGMA 85mm 1.4 - SIGMA 150mm 2.8 OS Macro - SIGMA 10-20mm 3,5

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 09:27:50 AM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 09:45:53 AM »
Stacking really is the only way to go in this case. This is a result that I got with stacking:

While your pic is nice I really don't see how the "complicated way" of stacking is better than a bit larger DoF with focus set on the side of the apple (thus not the very foreground) to have DoF before and behind. The only limitation is the background proximity and it doesn't seem that close to me.

It really depends on your reproduction size. At web sized images then diffraction is not hurting you so much as the circle of confusion can be so big, start to make the picture bigger, on screen or make a decent sized print and the limitations of small aperture values become apparent very quickly, a loss of sharpness everywhere is the trade for more apparent sharpness in more places, also the background often becomes more intrusive. There is no substitute for focus stacking if pin sharp deep dof is wanted on a three dimensional subject particularly if the camera to subject distance is close.

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 10:13:48 AM »
And once you get anywhere into near macro distances there's just no way to get enough DOF in one shot.

I guess that's the part i'm not familiar with, thanks for the education ;)

Jack56

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 05:22:17 PM »
This morning I went back. A bit foggy, no wind, so I thought this is my day for ..... stacking.
Guess what. No apple. Can you believe it. It conquered winter and now when spring is coming, no apple any more.
Ok, thanks for the lessons. I will try again with an apple from ..... the fruit basket.

dcm

• Canon 70D
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 06:13:36 PM »
This morning I went back. A bit foggy, no wind, so I thought this is my day for ..... stacking.
Guess what. No apple. Can you believe it. It conquered winter and now when spring is coming, no apple any more.
Ok, thanks for the lessons. I will try again with an apple from ..... the fruit basket.

I find it pretty hard to go back and get the same shot in most instances anyway.  Something is always different.

It's probably better to practice it a few times in a controlled environment before trying it in the field.  That way you are ready the next time the opportunity presents itself.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:30:00 PM by dcm »
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

tntwit

• Rebel SL1
  • Enthusiastic Amateur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 10:22:03 PM »
For what it's worth, I thought it looked good the way it was, but it is definitely a matter of personal preference or what artistic expression you were going for.

I also think this is a good candidate for black and white, but again, that's personal preference.
60D, 15-85 IS, 50 1.8 II, Sigma 10-20, 70-300 IS Non L, 430EX II, Vanguard GH-100, Panasonic GF3, 14-42, 14 f2.5

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 10:22:03 PM »