September 01, 2014, 11:23:40 AM

Author Topic: Filter Holders  (Read 405 times)

Eagle Eye

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Filter Holders
« on: March 09, 2014, 04:27:59 PM »
I'm looking to pick up a filter holder for long exposures with an ND grad. I currently have a set of Lee .6 and .9 hard and soft ND grads, plus .9 and 1.2 Singh-Ray reverse ND grads, all 4"x6", which I've been handholding. I'd like to be able to shoot with an ND grad, standard ND, and circular polarizer all in place on an EF 17-40mm or an EF 70-200. This is where it gets complicated. Lee holder fits my current filters, but the combination of those three filters at once looks like it will push me to 20-24mm on the lens. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since I almost always shoot with a polarizer on anyway, my resting lens condition can be with a polarizer on the lens threads (B+W XS-Pro in the case of the 17-40), and a Lee adaptor screwed into the polarizer. Mount the filter hold, add the ND, adjust the grad, shouldn't get vignetting. Read something about needing to polarize the light before it hits the NDs; I call BS. I think it's a way for Lee to justify their idea of placing a 105mm filter at the front of the setup instead of closer to the lens like on the Cokin setup.

Other alternative I see is to go with the Cokin X-Pro, sell my existing six 4"x6" filters, buy three replacements (.9 hard and soft, 1.2 reverse) in the X-pro size, and drop the cash on Cokin's polarizer for that setup. No concern about vignetting there, and I can leave the adaptors in place on the lenses without the polarizer also attached.

Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone been down this road?
Gear! When do we get gear?!

canon rumors FORUM

Filter Holders
« on: March 09, 2014, 04:27:59 PM »

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Filter Holders
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 06:36:12 PM »
Ever since I accidentally cross-threaded (& ruined both) a Lee 82mm adapter and a B+W U/V filter, I don't stack screw-in filters anymore... For times when I want a solid-ND, a grad-ND, and a polarizer all together (a very typical situation here on the Oregon coast) -- I'll simply use a 2-slot Lee filter holder configured with a 105mm screw-in adapter ring & B+W polarizer. If I'm going to be using a lens that's wider than about 24mm, then (to avoid vignetting) I'll often use a 4"x4" Lee polarizer & the solid-ND together in the filter holder, and just hand-hold the grad-ND as needed.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:50:27 PM by JustMeOregon »

Eagle Eye

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 07:08:04 PM »
That seems like a really reasonable compromise. Just to be clear, at 17mm (full frame) with the Lee filter holder, a 4"x4", a 4"x6", and the 105mm mount (without the filter), there's minimal vignetting?

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
Correct. I ran some quick tests awhile back and found that on my rig (a 5D3, 16-35mm lens with no UV filter, an 82mm Lee Wide Angle Adapter, & a 2-slot Lee filter holder with a 105mm adapter) vignetting was a non-issue as long as my 105mm B+W polarizer was not screwed into the Lee holder -- even zoomed all the way out to 16mm. Now if I added the 105 B+W polarizer (which is pretty darn thick) vignetting would start at about 21mm. At which point I use the 4x4" square polarizer and just hand-hold the grad-ND.

Here's the original topic & info: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=19029.msg356701#msg356701

Note that the venerable  ::) Canon 16-35mm L lens has more that it's fair share of native vignetting at 16mm...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:47:34 PM by JustMeOregon »

Eagle Eye

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 10:02:57 PM »
Great, thank you. I'm going to put the extra $ into the B+W extra wide 105mm. I'll post back here in a couple weeks with the vignette report at 17mm.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 10:02:57 PM »