August 23, 2014, 12:14:48 AM

Author Topic: Tamron 150-600mm focusing issue with Canon 7D body  (Read 922 times)

stegosaurus

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Tamron 150-600mm focusing issue with Canon 7D body
« on: March 10, 2014, 04:34:31 PM »
I had purchased this lens from my local camera shop and was disappointed when I discovered that it would only focus on my 5D Mark III body.  It would stall and quit trying to achieve focus on the 7D if I had focused on a near object, moved to focus on a far object and moved back to a nearer object.  I took it back and tried 2 more copies of the lens but all had the same issue.  That night after trying to solve it by carefully looking at the 7D setup, I realized that Custom Function III Option 4 was set to stop the lens drive if focus couldn't be achieved.  I reset this to "1" and then went back to my camera dealer to try the Tamron again.  Problem solved!

I've seen quite a few posts with similar problems on a couple different Canon bodies.  I don't know if what I did would fix those issues, but it certainly took care of me problem.  I am still just now trying the lens (I just got it today) but so far I am very happy with the focus and speed of focus.

Paul

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Tamron 150-600mm focusing issue with Canon 7D body
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 08:02:16 PM »
I had purchased this lens from my local camera shop and was disappointed when I discovered that it would only focus on my 5D Mark III body.  It would stall and quit trying to achieve focus on the 7D if I had focused on a near object, moved to focus on a far object and moved back to a nearer object.  I took it back and tried 2 more copies of the lens but all had the same issue.  That night after trying to solve it by carefully looking at the 7D setup, I realized that Custom Function III Option 4 was set to stop the lens drive if focus couldn't be achieved.  I reset this to "1" and then went back to my camera dealer to try the Tamron again.  Problem solved!

I've seen quite a few posts with similar problems on a couple different Canon bodies.  I don't know if what I did would fix those issues, but it certainly took care of me problem.  I am still just now trying the lens (I just got it today) but so far I am very happy with the focus and speed of focus.

Paul

the 5D3 wont focus with this lens either if this option is set incorrectly
APS-H Fanboy

Lightmaster

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Tamron 150-600mm focusing issue with Canon 7D body
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 01:11:44 PM »
the lens will focus with the 7D it´s just that it has issues with AI servo mode.

the option you mention has nothing to do with the issues reported on some forums.
these are two different things.