November 28, 2014, 12:47:17 AM

Author Topic: just hit the purchase button  (Read 7136 times)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: just hit the purchase button
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 10:11:07 AM »

Do you have anything on your wish list left?

That's a really good question... and I don't know that I have an answer... I'd like fun customers... hey Joe... we'd like you to come and photograph these naked models.  DONE! 

But in regards to gear... I kinda want a sigma 50 art... I kinda want a 200-400 1.4x... I kinda want the reported sigma 24-70 f2 lens if it actually exists... but all in all.. I feel pretty set with what I have. 

I had a 135 L for less than a week before I sold it... and I didn't really get an opportunity to run it through its paces to seed if I really liked it or not... so maybe that again... and I made 175 on the transaction... so I really not complaining.

All in all... I probably don't NEED anything and that affects my wanting something.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 10:11:07 AM »

slclick

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2014, 10:28:59 AM »
I too just hit the purchase button, my largest photo buy ever, took quite a bit of hemming and hawwing and considering FL's etc etc.
The first thing to do was to rule out the fleeting latest appetizing gear that really does not suit my strengths or will not aid my in the best directions.
The only item I will be getting that isn't a sure thing for me is the Big Ron, so I will put it through it's paces from the gitgo if I need to facilitate a return to B&H. And if it doesn't thrill me well, there's the the cash for a 2nd body dedicated to Alt lenses (Lensbaby, Holga, Fisheye) I have been wanting.
5D3, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-105 Art, 35 Art, 40 Pancake, 70-200 2.8L IS Mk2, 100 2.8L Macro, Cokin Z-Pro Filters

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2014, 12:43:07 PM »
I too just hit the purchase button, my largest photo buy ever, took quite a bit of hemming and hawwing and considering FL's etc etc.
The first thing to do was to rule out the fleeting latest appetizing gear that really does not suit my strengths or will not aid my in the best directions.
The only item I will be getting that isn't a sure thing for me is the Big Ron, so I will put it through it's paces from the gitgo if I need to facilitate a return to B&H. And if it doesn't thrill me well, there's the the cash for a 2nd body dedicated to Alt lenses (Lensbaby, Holga, Fisheye) I have been wanting.
What is "the Big Ron"?  What is "FL's?

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 01:06:06 PM »

I think fl's are focal lengths... but I have no idea what a big Ron is.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

slclick

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2014, 01:46:04 PM »

I think fl's are focal lengths... but I have no idea what a big Ron is.

Tamron 150-600.....typing out 'focal lengths' might be a great way to beef up my finger and arm strength for that Long Tammy.
5D3, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-105 Art, 35 Art, 40 Pancake, 70-200 2.8L IS Mk2, 100 2.8L Macro, Cokin Z-Pro Filters

dash2k8

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2014, 08:53:27 PM »
Both lenses are excellent. No need to compare the two to justify the purchase of one or the other. If there's enough money, buy both! The focusing issue on the Sigma can be mostly rectified via the USB dock and microadjustment in-camera, so it's not like it will make or break a project unless you are shooting at f1.4, in which case you should be manual focusing anyway. Cheers.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2014, 10:45:52 PM »
Both lenses are excellent. No need to compare the two to justify the purchase of one or the other. If there's enough money, buy both! The focusing issue on the Sigma can be mostly rectified via the USB dock and microadjustment in-camera, so it's not like it will make or break a project unless you are shooting at f1.4, in which case you should be manual focusing anyway. Cheers.

+1, well said and succinct.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2014, 10:45:52 PM »

anthonyd

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2014, 01:42:21 AM »
Thanks everybody for the nice comments and advice.  I surely do want the 35A as well, as I do portraits a lot, but I have a 50/1.4 for that, a good general purpose zoom was missing from my arsenal more than a prime that can do subject separation well.
The lens arrived by the way and Ι have to say, I'm happy with it already.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2014, 09:43:48 AM »
Congrats!  We got a larger tax return but instead of buying the camera equipment we wanted to, we have to pay it on a new baby and insurance and copays and all that other fun stuff that comes along with it.

Geez, man...get your priorities in order, eh?

;)

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2014, 09:58:29 AM »
Well done. Its a joy to use :)

Btw,  You don't need luck.

+1

Congrats on your purchase.  :)

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2014, 11:29:52 AM »

Agreed regarding both lenses.......with regard to optics.

"unless you are shooting at f1.4"

The issue though, is that part one of the more important reasons you buy a fast prime is to be able to shoot it fast. I personally had issues with several copies not only with varying distances, but varying lighting as well when shooting at or near wide open. This is a problem I had personally never experienced with the 35L. As a matter of fact, the Canon was the most consistently accurate fast prime I've ever had when shooting wide open.

I absolutely disagree that you "should" be manual focusing when shooting wide open with a fast prime as a general rule. While there may be times when it is needed, it generally is not.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2014, 02:05:58 AM »

Agreed regarding both lenses.......with regard to optics.

"unless you are shooting at f1.4"

The issue though, is that part one of the more important reasons you buy a fast prime is to be able to shoot it fast. I personally had issues with several copies not only with varying distances, but varying lighting as well when shooting at or near wide open. This is a problem I had personally never experienced with the 35L. As a matter of fact, the Canon was the most consistently accurate fast prime I've ever had when shooting wide open.

I absolutely disagree that you "should" be manual focusing when shooting wide open with a fast prime as a general rule. While there may be times when it is needed, it generally is not.

So you sent the Sigma back and kept the Canon?

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2014, 04:29:18 PM »
"So you sent the Sigma back and kept the Canon?"

Yeah. Two copies actually. The second one was worse than the first which is when I decided to give up. I kept the 35L for a while longer until I eventually decided it would be more useful to just have the 35/2 IS since I already had the other fast primes close to the FL.

The Sigma was amazing optically which is why I wish I could be guaranteed a copy that marries well to my body.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2014, 04:29:18 PM »

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2014, 05:49:26 PM »

Yeah. Two copies actually. The second one was worse than the first which is when I decided to give up. I kept the 35L for a while longer until I eventually decided it would be more useful to just have the 35/2 IS since I already had the other fast primes close to the FL.

The Sigma was amazing optically which is why I wish I could be guaranteed a copy that marries well to my body.

What body do you have?  Do you have AFMA? 

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2014, 05:58:12 PM »

What body do you have?  Do you have AFMA?

When I had the copies of the Sigma, I had a 5d3. They were both AFMA'd with Reikan FoCal. At the time, the dock had not yet been released so I didn't have the ability to modify the three distance values in lens. However, with the single distance calibration in body I did have, I was still getting inconsistent AF at roughly that distance depending on the lighting I was in during real world usage. As stated earlier, the second copy was even worse than the first which is when I threw in the towel.

At the time, I had spoken to a tech in their New York office and was told to send both the body and lens in together which I had actually given some consideration to since the optical quality of the lens made it so attractive.

Putting the accuracy issue aside, both S35 copies I had were still noticeably slower to AF than the copy of the 35L I had which in all reality was the most consistently accurate AF'ing lens I owned. The speed difference was not the deal breaker though since the Sigmas still did reasonably well in that regard (albeit not as fast).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:59:48 PM by JohnDizzo15 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2014, 05:58:12 PM »