August 23, 2014, 07:44:28 AM

Author Topic: BlackRapid FAIL - grrrrrr  (Read 3286 times)

suburbia

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: BlackRapid FAIL - grrrrrr
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 10:07:44 AM »

Conclusion : Those with BR buy a 'lockstar'. Those who do not use BR, bare this in mind before making your purchaser decision, and get a lockstar!

I bought mine about a year ago and it didn't come with one and the lock regularly regularly unlocks itself, thanks for the heads up... just ordered it!

SwampYankee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 10:39:42 AM »
Hi, sorry for your problems.  Just for my clarity you said you attached it to the tripod foot mount.  Maybe a difference in terminology.  Was the Black Rapid Lug screwed directly into the camera tripod mound or was there a plate in between?  I have not had any issues with my Black Rapid but that doesn't mean the first one would not be a disaster.  I use a piece of electrical tape to make sure it does not unscrew.  I'm using a tripod more so I stopped using the Black Rapid and went back to a neck strap.  I miss it but posts like yours are starting to scare me
again, sorry
5DIII | 70-200 IS F4L | 24-105L |50 1.8 I |1002.8L | Tokina 16-28 2.8 |600EX

slclick

• 7D
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 11:01:57 AM »
love the Lock Star
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

lion rock

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 11:04:05 AM »
Sorry for your losses, both adhoc and fatmanmedi, in the first case, it could be serviced at quite a cost and in the latter, for your total lost as well as the images.
No equipment is fail proof.  We just have to be really careful to check them every time we take them out for use and while being used.  We have various fixes, but none would be totally absolute.
I agree with Trapimun.  But I did my own roll as photo show.  The original BR strap was totally wrinkled and looked bad, so I replaced with another strap I bought which happened to be thicker.  The old BR carabiner/ring were replaced with SunSniper hardware.  According the SunSniper, there is a steel bearing to eliminate the twisting of the strap thus loosening the connecting screw.  I used this setup for over 2 years and have not found the screw loose every time I looked.
Hope that no one suffers from catastrophic problems from any straps you use.
-r

knoxtown

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 11:08:59 AM »
I ditched BlackRapid for a Custom SLR strap system, and I'll never look back.
Conflict Photographer - 5d Mark III, 50mm 1.2, 20mm 2.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8

JonAustin

• EOS M2
  • Telecom/IT consultant / periodic pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 12:00:42 PM »
I have one each CustomSLR and BlackRapid strap; I bought the C-SLR and won the BR in an on-line drawing. Not sure which BR model it is, but probably the Metro.

We only use the BR strap for my wife's P&S, but I just looked up the LockStar, and think it might be a good idea to get one of these.
Photographic equipment

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 12:04:02 PM »
Unfortunate - sorry for your loss!

I have to say, in several years of using BR straps (I have a couple of them), I've never had the carabiner locking ring come loose.  I did have one camera drop incident, but that was due to an inadvertent press of the lens release with the strap attached to the lens (and that was due to an unbalanced rig with a 2x TC when connected via a FastenR-T1/RC2 plate - switching to Arca plates and a Kirk 1" clamp on the BR strap allows me to balance appropriately).

I have had a the carabiner completely separate at the hinged portion, although my camera did not drop to the ground. BR sent me a replacement carabiner no questions asked.

I too use the Kirk 1" clamp and it is very solid.

There is no doubt in my mind that the weak link in the system is the swivel joint in the BR carabiner assembly.

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 02:03:54 PM »
Having read about Black Rapid failures and also having had the camera body fall off the lens, I made a very simple safety back up strap that holds the body to the strap using the strap lugs. The Black Rapid is screwed into the tripod foot of the lens as usual. I put a small hand strap through one of the camera body lugs and attached it to the Black Rapid strap via a key ring that can slide up and down. If the body falls off the lens, it is retained by the strap. If the connector or fastener to the tripod fail, then the lens is saved by the camera lug holding both of them. I have tested the system, and it works.
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

ScubaX

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 02:18:23 PM »
Sometime last year I changed from a BR to a CustomSLR strap, but I did it more for comfort than equipment safety. I actually think a combination of the two works well. The pad and webbing on the CustomSLR are more comfortable but I was not liking the leather and plastic connection to the camera. It seemed safe, except the 2 leather straps connect at the same plastic bar. So instead I used the BR hardware, changed the fastener to a FR-3, and some blue Loctite on the D-ring's clasp. But I was still not happy with that as I see that pin connecting the D-Ring/Swivel as a weak spot, so in a search I found this blog post on using a leash, clamp, and gaffers tape. http://enthusiastphotographer.com/2011/12/20/black-rapid-arca-solution/ I'm using the BR
Lockstar instead of the gaffers tape and still use Loctite, added the leash from OP/Tech, a RRS B2-FABN clamp on a RRS L-Bracket. Next I will be adding some Velcro to the plastic connections (OP/Tech Secure-Its). The other thing I do when not using the L-Bracket and i'm out hiking around is use a Spider Holster in addition to the BR setup. Even if the BR and it's extra safety features fail, the Spider Holster will have it. It has the added benefit of keeping the camera from swinging on my hip as I walk. I've added a second Spider Holster to the harness of my backpack. When I need it off my hip and secure, I just clip it to my chest and lock the Spider.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:21:07 PM by ScubaX »
5DMK3, BG-E11, RRS L-Plate, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 70-300 4-5.6L IS, 400 5.6L, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS Macro, 24-105 4.0L IS, 50 1.4, Extenders 2x III & 1.4x III,  Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ MH054M0-Q2 BH converted to A-S, full kit of Lee Filters, F-Stop Satori, Loka and Guru. Modded Black Rapid

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 08:05:33 PM »
I feel for ya' man. However you're going to have to list me among those who have never had any problems with the BlackRapid system. But I'm going to go home and review my camera-gear insurance policy tonight just in case...

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 08:26:40 PM »
so what failed?

pics?

from the description i assume the carabina like clip came unclipped?

Exactly...  that is what happened. I guess my consent getting up and down wangled it free...  :( I think that would constitute a design flaw! :(

did you have it screwed shut? because it operates as a screw gate carabina, perhaps movement in a praticular way unscrewed it by rubbing allowing it to un clip.
APS-H Fanboy

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 11:39:46 PM »
Thanks all for the comments, I'm talking to BR now...  I'll let you know if anything comes out of it. I will be adding a safty leash to my strap and setup until i find a better strap solution.

did you have it screwed shut? because it operates as a screw gate carabina, perhaps movement in a praticular way unscrewed it by rubbing allowing it to un clip.

It was tights, but i am guessing all the bumping up and down on safari rattled it loose! :(
5D MkIII + an every expanding array of lenses and accessories!
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

fatmanmedi

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 07:53:56 AM »
I've not heard of customSLR, so after looking through he site i've ordered the glide strap and the prodot and the m-plate pro so it will be interesting to see how it compares to the BR strap.

Fats

CatfishSoupFTW

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 08:08:12 AM »
i too have had problems with BR straps, one time i wash shooting in Florida, a fashion shoot on a boat, the boat took a turn a little too sharp, and my D4 + 70-200 Nikon lens detached it self from the strap and went over the side of the boat and duly sank.

I now use thread lock on the mount to make sure it's secure and i check it before every shoot where the camera can get damaged.

i feel for you, as it's never nice to see a camera get damaged due to a part failing.

I use BR straps because i don't see a good enought alternative on the market.

Fats

oh. my. god.  0_0 did you franticly jump in the water to get it? or did you just see it godown and that was that. 
5DmrkII, 40D, 24-105 F4L, 50mm 1.8, 17-85, 70-300

fatmanmedi

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 08:29:50 AM »
i too have had problems with BR straps, one time i wash shooting in Florida, a fashion shoot on a boat, the boat took a turn a little too sharp, and my D4 + 70-200 Nikon lens detached it self from the strap and went over the side of the boat and duly sank.

I now use thread lock on the mount to make sure it's secure and i check it before every shoot where the camera can get damaged.

i feel for you, as it's never nice to see a camera get damaged due to a part failing.

I use BR straps because i don't see a good enought alternative on the market.

Fats

oh. my. god.  0_0 did you franticly jump in the water to get it? or did you just see it godown and that was that.

I watched it go down, the boat was going at around 18kts so by the time we got back to where it had entered the water it was too late to recover it.

fats