October 21, 2014, 10:09:10 AM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Replacement Mentioned Again [CR1]  (Read 28837 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
EOS 7D Replacement Mentioned Again [CR1]
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:35:58 AM »

A few bits of information about the possible replacement to the EOS 7D are trickling in, although there’s nothing I would call concrete.

We’re told again that the camera is being tested with some kind of a “hybrid viewfinder”, no details were given. Although, it’s possible the feature doesn’t make it into the production camera. A brand new image sensor will appear in the camera, with a resolution just under 25mp.

The camera will have dual memory card slots, CF and SD. Retaining CF is a big deal and will make a lot of people happy.

The camera is said to have the most features at the software level of any Canon DSLR ever, though there were no examples of what could possibly be new. I do agree this camera will have to be extremely feature rich to be successful.

It doesn’t feel like the hype machine has started yet, so I do not think the camera is “around the corner”.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

EOS 7D Replacement Mentioned Again [CR1]
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:35:58 AM »

Pitbullo

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 7D Replacement Mentioned Again [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 09:10:31 AM »
The 7D2 will set the tone for the future Canon DSLRs. I won't buy the 7D2 myself, but feature and technologies shown in this camera will eventually come in other models. Perhaps we can see what 5D4 will bring?

TrabimanUK

• EOS M2
  • In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 09:40:28 AM »
With the long wait, I'm erring towards a 5DIII, as time is pressing. 

Unless the 7DII can rail off 10fps+ for a good 100+ images (jpeg) and has an IQ in the 5D/5DII arena, and a AF system surpassing the 5DIII, then I'll settle for 6fps ad infinitum (jpeg), great IQ and AF of the 5DIII.

By the time the 7DII makes it into the world, I doubt there'll be much price differnce, like the 5DII and the 7D when it was launched.
Canon 1D, 5D, 5DIII, 70D, 60D, SX150-IR/UV, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM,
 Sigma 10 F2.8 EX DC DIAGONAL FISHEYE HSM,  12-24 DG HSM, 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

Niki

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 10:00:31 AM »

Unless the 7DII can rail off 10fps+ for a good 100+ images (jpeg) and has an IQ in the 5D/5DII arena, and a AF system surpassing the 5DIII, then I'll settle for 6fps ad infinitum (jpeg), great IQ and AF of the 5DIII.

By the time the 7DII makes it into the world, I doubt there'll be much price differnce, like the 5DII and the 7D when it was launched.

+1

they have so many other cameras and they don't want to effect sales of the 1dc…that's why I think it's taking so long…(plus all these other cameras are coming out with new video features)

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 10:16:26 AM »
video: So this thing will definitely shoot compressed 4K, and if we're lucky it will shoot 2K raw (or higher resolution in short bursts).

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 10:26:14 AM »

+1

they have so many other cameras and they don't want to effect sales of the 1dc…that's why I think it's taking so long…(plus all these other cameras are coming out with new video features)

The "protection" argument sounds great..... but the reality is that even now, almost 5 years out of date, the 7D outsells the 1DX and the 1DC... The market for high end FF cameras is small and the buyers are after very specific features. There is NOTHING you can do to a crop camera that will have a significant effect on that market. Even if the 7D2 came out with some new magic technology that gave better IQ than a 1DX, what would happen with those people? The would immediatly buy a 7D2 and the instant a 1DX2 came out with that new technology, they would buy the 1DX2.... and Canon sells two cameras. If they "cripple" the 7D2 to "protect" other cameras, they loose sales...
The best camera is the one in your hands

seamonster

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 10:53:11 AM »
Just re-use the 5DIII body shell (and get rid of the pop up flash). Saves on production costs.
[5D Mk.III] [40mm f/2.8 STM] [85mm f/1.8 USM] [24-105mm f/4L IS USM] [70-200mm f/4L IS USM] [Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD] [600 EX-RT]

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 10:53:11 AM »

jeffa4444

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 11:21:53 AM »
I would tend to agree they will not cripple the 7DMKII they didnt with the original camera which had some better features over the 5DMKII for example it also enabled it to have a long life.
The bigger issue is how close the DSLRs get to the Cinema EOS series in video quality so far the 1Dc with 8bit 4:2:2 Motion Jpeg will not trouble them but at some point Canon will need to provide lower compression and at least 10bit or more realistically 12bit 4:4:4 / 4:2:2 Raw, even the new Panasonic GH4 offers 10 bit 4:2:2 on its micro 4/3rds camera (external) whilst still 8bit internal.
Canon 6d, 7d & 550d with EF-S and EF-L glass

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 11:34:11 AM »
Oooh ... Nessie's been sighted again? Great!
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 11:59:44 AM »
Video, video, video!? 

For me to consider 7D II, its new (a long awaited) ~25 MP sensor would at least have to match the IQ of crop bodies like Fuji X-T1 or Nikon D7200.  It's just been way too long of a wait for Canon IQ improvement. 

Or...Canon can up the ante by introducing in-body RT controller (sigh... I know it won't happen).   

MintChocs

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 01:02:27 PM »
It won't sell as well as the original 7D unless it is as revolutionary as the original when that came out.

nvettese

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 01:40:52 PM »
If this camera is as revolutionary as the original, I think this will sell just as good, if not better.  As mentioned previously, the original is still selling very well, so I am hopeful that the Mark II version will exceed our expectations, or at least hold us up until they can use a Firmware upgrade to enable new features for a few more years. 

Currently, I am using a 20D, which is a great camera for me, so the 7D MkII will be  great no matter what it is. 

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 01:41:33 PM »
I beg to differ.  The 7d is very dated by todays standards.  Ff models of today blow its doors off.  I would say it will be successful regardless of how feature rich it is.  A high quality crop sensored camera with modern af and noise levels will fill the gap for those wanting the extra reach and are not happy with a ff solution.

The sooner it comes to market the sooner we can retire these old 7Ds for our kids to use.  May it RIP soon!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 01:41:33 PM »

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 01:44:44 PM »
I have been thinking about this lately and am going to make a controversial prediction:

I believe the 7DII will have the highest resolution of any Canon DSLR and I think it is entirely possible that future APS-C bodies may actually end up with more resolution than high-end full frame DSLRs.

Reasoning: The strength of the APS-C format (in addition to cost) is the perceived extra "reach" of the 1.6 crop factor. Crop sensors will never match the high ISO performance or dynamic range of a full frame sensor. But, what Canon demonstrated with the 70D is that they could increase the resolution of the sensor without sacrificing ISO performance or dynamic range.

The higher resolution 70D sensor performs at least as well as the 7D sensor in these areas. And, some argue it actually performs slightly better.

I am fully aware of the argument that a full frame sensor can be cropped to the same framing as an APS-C sensor without losing much perceived resolution.

But, that argument breaks down in cases where the photographer is distance limited and must crop the crop, so to speak. I'll leave the math to those who are more adept than I am, but just point out that a 24mp APS-C sensor can have half of its pixels cropped out and still produce a 12mp image.

Focusing on higher resolution at the top end of the APS-C line allows manufacturers to better differentiate the two formats for enthusiasts and professionals. Both formats function just fine for general purposes, but if you want to shoot under the most challenging lighting situations, full frame is the better bet. If you are a portrait or studio photographer shooting under controlled conditions, the larger format is better.

But, if you are a nature photographer or a sports photographer and you need to reach as deeply into the scene as possible without getting eaten by a bear, drowned chasing waterfowl or crushed by a 250 lb player, and need to do it at 8-12 fps, then you need a high-resolution, high performance crop frame camera that has sufficient headroom for you to crop even further when necessary.

I've long said Canon and Nikon don't want to convert everyone to full frame, they want instead to sell everyone two bodies. One way to do that is to play to the strengths of each format and differentiate them at the high end.

We all know that the worldwide camera market is struggling. Nikon and Canon need to find ways to increase their sales. It's far easier to get an existing customer to buy more than it is to find a new customer. Differentiating the two DSLR formats offers the hope of greatly expanding sales using the existing base of customers.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

SevenDUser

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 01:52:13 PM »
Anyone else sick and tired of seeing threads about 7D MK II ???

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 01:52:13 PM »