September 17, 2014, 02:06:15 PM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Replacement Mentioned Again [CR1]  (Read 28110 times)

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 7D Replacement Mentioned Again [CR1]
« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2014, 04:37:18 PM »
In less than 5 months, it'll be 5 years since the 7D was announced and nothing so far indicates that a 7D II will ever be released ... I've lost my interest in it and if it does get released, I most likely will not buy one.

On the other hand, if it never gets released, I most certainly will not buy one :)

On the other hand...wait, how many hands does this beast have??...I will almost certainly buy one.   8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2014, 04:37:18 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2014, 07:55:59 PM »
In less than 5 months, it'll be 5 years since the 7D was announced and nothing so far indicates that a 7D II will ever be released ... I've lost my interest in it and if it does get released, I most likely will not buy one.

And when it turns out to be the best camera in Canon's lineup from a <insertyourpreferredfeaturehere> (1D X excluded from comparison :P), you'll most definitely be interested again! :D

While it is pretty odd that the 7D replacement has taken so long to deamorphize, I don't think it will arrive and be a dud, either. The 7D was (is?) one of Canon's most popular cameras, and they have to know that there are very high expectations for it's replacement. While it's certainly a personal choice whether to buy one or not, to not buy one just because it hit the streets later than you wanted is hardly a good reason. ;P And I think it's interesting for the very fact that it's taking so long...it just....HAS to be GOOD! Right?!
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2014, 08:25:54 PM »

And when it turns out to be the best camera in Canon's lineup from a <insertyourpreferredfeaturehere> (1D X excluded from comparison :P), you'll most definitely be interested again! :D

While it is pretty odd that the 7D replacement has taken so long to deamorphize, I don't think it will arrive and be a dud, either. The 7D was (is?) one of Canon's most popular cameras, and they have to know that there are very high expectations for it's replacement. While it's certainly a personal choice whether to buy one or not, to not buy one just because it hit the streets later than you wanted is hardly a good reason. ;P And I think it's interesting for the very fact that it's taking so long...it just....HAS to be GOOD! Right?!

It has to be better than the current 7d....so that would make it the best canon aps-c available...when it is available. Ive held out buying a 2nd 5diii.  As i see it, just waiting for the pre-orders to start.  ;)

ems1

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2014, 02:35:53 PM »
From the UK magazine T3 - "A firmware update in 2012  improved Canon’s aging 7D  DSLR greatly, but now the  Mark II is officially on the  way. It’s been road-tested  at the Winter Olympics and  will have another outing  at the World Cup before  landing in time for Chrimbo"

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2014, 03:07:19 PM »
From the UK magazine T3 - "A firmware update in 2012  improved Canon’s aging 7D  DSLR greatly, but now the  Mark II is officially on the  way. It’s been road-tested  at the Winter Olympics and  will have another outing  at the World Cup before  landing in time for Chrimbo"

I think all will agree that it will be out before Christmas.... but the big question is which Christmas?
The best camera is the one in your hands

mkabi

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2014, 06:45:34 PM »

They need to put it through a second run through before releasing it?
Ok, at least an official announcement would be nice.
Canon 7D - EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L, EF - 20mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.0, Custom Cine 50mm & Custom Cine 35mm

MintChocs

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2014, 06:10:17 AM »

I think all will agree that it will be out before Christmas.... but the big question is which Christmas?

Ha ha ROFL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2014, 06:10:17 AM »

geonix

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2014, 02:28:02 PM »
For this extremly long time waiting, my expectations are very high now.
The 7D replacement should be a real improvement, even better than the D7100, that was released more than a year ago.
If it will just be a 7D with flipscreen, touchscreen, wifi and dualpixels and the overall image quality and high ISO performace will be about same as the old one or only marginally improved.  That would be my last disappointment with canon.

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2014, 03:10:30 PM »
For this extremly long time waiting, my expectations are very high now.
The 7D replacement should be a real improvement, even better than the D7100, that was released more than a year ago.
If it will just be a 7D with flipscreen, touchscreen, wifi and dualpixels and the overall image quality and high ISO performace will be about same as the old one or only marginally improved.  That would be my last disappointment with canon.

You can get that now with the 70D...of which I was disappointed in.  The best feature they added was AFMA adjustment and that was something to be excited about for those coming in from a 60D or T series.

The 7DII will likely have a LOT of video features that will drive the price up.  I'm sure one thing we can ALL agree on is that we will be disappointed with the price they set as is with all of their new products.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2014, 03:28:19 PM »
What's really sad is that I gave up waiting and bought at 1D X.  Not a decision I regret, but it was a lot more than I wanted to pay for an faster frame rate than the 5DIII.  The recent firmware upgrades have made it an amazing camera for wildlife photography and I'm curious to see if Canon adds some of those to the 7D II.  I also fear it will be a videographer's dream camera, which means zilch to me.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III
I only shoot at ISO 100 with perfect technique - should I get a Nikon?

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2014, 06:27:52 PM »
What's really sad is that I gave up waiting and bought at 1D X.  Not a decision I regret, but it was a lot more than I wanted to pay for an faster frame rate than the 5DIII.  The recent firmware upgrades have made it an amazing camera for wildlife photography and I'm curious to see if Canon adds some of those to the 7D II.  I also fear it will be a videographer's dream camera, which means zilch to me.

Zilch until your interest morphs and you take up wildlife videography.  ;)  I chose not to get a 1DX for a number of reasons but the number one was the shutter noise.  CPS loaned me one and in drive mode it pretty much scared away everything I was photographing unless I was in a noisy environment.  12 fps is useless if you scare away your subject on shot 1.

I chose the 5DIII and while the fps is lacking in some cases it does not give me away in my blind.  If I dont need the FPS, then silent mode keeps me undercover.  I hope the 7D2 offers a MUCH quieter drive mode shutter than the 1DX.  That might be the only show stopping thing for me.  Otherwise I am pretty much waiting for the pre-orders to start.

geonix

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2014, 03:39:30 AM »

You can get that now with the 70D...of which I was disappointed in.  The best feature they added was AFMA adjustment and that was something to be excited about for those coming in from a 60D or T series.

The 7DII will likely have a LOT of video features that will drive the price up.  I'm sure one thing we can ALL agree on is that we will be disappointed with the price they set as is with all of their new products.

In what way could I have significantly better IQ and high ISO performance with the 70D???? All tests and reviews I looked at say that IQ and noise has only marginally improved in the 70D. At side-by-side comparison of images at 100% you can see that.
I want the 7D successor to at least match the sensor of the D7100, although Nikon is surely already improving that one.
A 24MP APSC sensor with no or hardly visible noise up to ISO 1600 or even 3200 would be a milestone for Canon. But I'm afraid they are actually not even trying to achieve that. If this news about another delay due to problems with the dual-pixel senor are true, the 7D II will only be a 70Ds   ;)

With the time and rumors after rumors without any clear statement from canon themselfs, I feel more and more fooled by them. Canon doesn't seem to realise that there are a lot of customers who want a APSC Camera for wildlife photography which is up-to-date in IQ and low ISO performance. Or maybe there are not as many as I think.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2014, 08:19:21 AM »

In what way could I have significantly better IQ and high ISO performance with the 70D???? All tests and reviews I looked at say that IQ and noise has only marginally improved in the 70D. At side-by-side comparison of images at 100% you can see that.
I want the 7D successor to at least match the sensor of the D7100, although Nikon is surely already improving that one.
A 24MP APSC sensor with no or hardly visible noise up to ISO 1600 or even 3200 would be a milestone for Canon. But I'm afraid they are actually not even trying to achieve that. If this news about another delay due to problems with the dual-pixel senor are true, the 7D II will only be a 70Ds   ;)

With the time and rumors after rumors without any clear statement from canon themselfs, I feel more and more fooled by them. Canon doesn't seem to realise that there are a lot of customers who want a APSC Camera for wildlife photography which is up-to-date in IQ and low ISO performance. Or maybe there are not as many as I think.
It is the focusing system. The focusing system (AFMA, focus points, live view) is far more capable on the 70D than the 60D and will give a better keeper ratio.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2014, 08:19:21 AM »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2014, 10:01:58 AM »

Zilch until your interest morphs and you take up wildlife videography.  ;)  I chose not to get a 1DX for a number of reasons but the number one was the shutter noise.  CPS loaned me one and in drive mode it pretty much scared away everything I was photographing unless I was in a noisy environment.  12 fps is useless if you scare away your subject on shot 1.

I chose the 5DIII and while the fps is lacking in some cases it does not give me away in my blind.  If I dont need the FPS, then silent mode keeps me undercover.  I hope the 7D2 offers a MUCH quieter drive mode shutter than the 1DX.  That might be the only show stopping thing for me.  Otherwise I am pretty much waiting for the pre-orders to start.
I understand and just can't let myself do video. I've done it in the past (pre-DSLR) and it interests me, but the cost to do it right is obscene, not to mention the storage requirements and the amount of footage you need to shoot to get a few minutes of finished video.  I really don't want to test the limits of my AMEX, marriage, or sanity by getting back into video :)

Besides, and not to open the debate, but to me, there's always been something more meaningful and lasting about a still vs. video.  I saw an interview a year or so ago (Nikon/some war photog, I think) who talked about how many videos you can remember vs. still shots and that further cemented the idea of focusing on stills for me.

Back to the camera, I do wish the 1D X had a silent burst mode like the 5DIII, but where I shoot (swamps, subtropical forests, and coastal areas) all have so much ambient noise from insects and other creatures that the loud shutter isn't an issue for me.  In the cold silent forests of New England where I grew up, or places like it, I can imagine it would scare the crap out of everything in sight.  I guess that's why they let you adjust the speed down from 12fps so it's at least a bit quieter.  Over the years, I've missed so many shots by missing focus or the key moment that 12fps is something that I will really get a lot out of for my work.  I say it that way because I've hardly had time to use it since I've bought it, but in about a month my time will be my own again :)

I prefer full frame as well and the 5DII was a revelation to me and my shooting.  I came to prefer it over the 7D even with it's AF and burst speed limitations, so I'm not sure crop would interest me again unless the IQ is much better above ISO 1600 on the 7DII.  With my 1D X and 300 f/2.8 II IS, I can literally start shooting (moving) wildlife before sunrise now, which gives me another 30+ minutes of shooting over the 7D and f/4 & f/5.6 lenses I used in the past.  For me, that is truly a game changer.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III
I only shoot at ISO 100 with perfect technique - should I get a Nikon?

geonix

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2014, 04:18:08 PM »
I wonder if the Image Quality, Dynamic Range and High ISO Performance of the 7D replacement will match the D7100, which is on the market now for over a year. Or if it will be at the same level as the 70D.
Of course we won't know for sure until it will finally be anounced, but for some reason I am changing more and more from having high expectations to the 7D II, to beeing rather pessimistic about its features.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2014, 04:18:08 PM »