September 03, 2014, 04:45:32 AM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Replacement Mentioned Again [CR1]  (Read 27779 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 7D Replacement Mentioned Again [CR1]
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2014, 08:37:38 PM »
if it has the Same AF as the 5Dmk3 I will probably get one to use with the tamron 150-600, hopefully the body and ergonomics will be essentially the same as the 5Dmk3 and also please please use the same battery as the 5Dmk3

sigma 50mm 1.4 on the 5Dmk3 tamron 150-600 on the 7Dmk2 and the 11-22EF-M on the EOS-M and i might never have to change lenses again :P.... (that was sort of a joke for anyone thinking of giving me a lecture)
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2014, 08:37:38 PM »

Canon1

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2014, 08:50:52 PM »
If anything... The longer canon holds out on releasing this camera... The more they will sell on opening day. 

Tugela

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2014, 03:07:04 PM »
If anything... The longer canon holds out on releasing this camera... The more they will sell on opening day.

Or the less, since the camera would become increasingly outdated the longer they wait.

jeffa4444

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2014, 05:22:03 PM »
I wonder whether it will have evolutionary technology like Sony are exploring:-

"Curved CMOS Image System: When light transmitted by a lens strikes a perpendicular target such as a CMOS image sensor, it forms a circle of light called an image circle. It’s difficult for a flat (planar) CMOS image sensor to deliver high image sensitivity at high resolution (highly scaled pixel pitch) because of the fundamental physical limit known as quantum efficiency. To break through that physical limit and to achieve higher sensitivity anywhere within the image circle at higher resolution, Sony built and will describe an imaging system that comprises a hemispherically curved, back-illuminated CMOS image sensor (BIS) and integrated lens. It doubles the sensitivity at the edge of the image circle while increasing sensitivity at its center by a factor of 1.4, with a 5x reduction of dark current (Jd) compared to a planar BIS. Moreover, a common problem known as lens field curvature aberration (Afc) is mitigated by the curved sensor itself, and so the curved BIS enables higher system sensitivity with a brighter lens with a smaller F number (Fn) than is possible with a planar BIS. In addition, by controlling the tensile stress of the BIS chip to produce a curved shape in the first place, the energy band-gap (Eg) is widened and a lower Jd is achieved. (Paper T2.1, “A Novel Curved CMOS Image Sensor Integrated with Imaging System,” K. Itonaga et al., Sony)"
Canon 6d, 7d & 550d with EF-S and EF-L glass

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2014, 05:44:29 PM »
If the 7D2 was the 70D  with a faster burst rate and 5D3 AF, it would sell well..... and if that is what it was, it would have been on the market a year ago. Those are tried and true technologies... very little work required to throw them together and make a camera out of them.

The wait for the 7D2 most likely is due to some new technology or feature(s). I expect a surprise here....

Possibilities are:
High speed storage - and that means faster burst rates and more FPS video...
Quad Pixel technology - and what does this mean for focusing speed, image tracking, resolution?
Smaller fabrication size - and does this impact noise, speed, and light sensitivity?
Next Gen WiFi interface - and what does this mean for remote/tethered/studio shooters?
Mirrorless - problems to be overcome but opens up new possibilities for focus and tracking
Hybrid Viewfinder - best of optical and digital combined....

Who knows? Certainly not me.. will it be worth the wait?

The best camera is the one in your hands

mkabi

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2014, 06:15:36 PM »
If the 7D2 was the 70D  with a faster burst rate and 5D3 AF, it would sell well..... and if that is what it was, it would have been on the market a year ago. Those are tried and true technologies... very little work required to throw them together and make a camera out of them.

The wait for the 7D2 most likely is due to some new technology or feature(s). I expect a surprise here....
Possibilities are:
High speed storage - and that means faster burst rates and more FPS video...
Quad Pixel technology - and what does this mean for focusing speed, image tracking, resolution?
Smaller fabrication size - and does this impact noise, speed, and light sensitivity?
Next Gen WiFi interface - and what does this mean for remote/tethered/studio shooters?
Mirrorless - problems to be overcome but opens up new possibilities for focus and tracking
Hybrid Viewfinder - best of optical and digital combined....

Who knows? Certainly not me.. will it be worth the wait?

You could be right and/or wrong...
But if we are comparing Canon's competitors here and trying to beat them... then we have a problem. Because Canon being at number 1 is making them a huge bullseye, who were their main competitors? Nikon? Olympus? Now Sony + Panasonic...
The competitors will constantly reinvent themselves to gain market share...
If Canon releases something tomorrow, its beat by all the other competitors the following year, now everyone is complaining that Canon isn't fast enough to respond.

Lets be real... what are the chances that it will be the most epic camera you have ever heard of till now?
Canon 7D - EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L, EF - 20mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.0, Custom Cine 50mm & Custom Cine 35mm

Marsu42

• ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2014, 06:56:21 PM »

The surprise might be that there is no surprise, Canon keeps being Canon, juggling features and trickling down tech and they simply cannot find a position for a 7d2 in their lineup between 70d and 5d3 and in comparison to the crop competition.

Btw rumor has it they'll give the 7d1 another boost and lifetime extension with the firmware 3.0 in q4/2014 as they are eager to find out how long they people keep buying a camera with a by now 6 year old sensor. With this marketing data, they can push back the 5d4 release to early 2018.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2014, 06:56:21 PM »

geonix

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 26, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
The surprise might be that there is no surprise, Canon keeps being Canon, juggling features and trickling down tech and they simply cannot find a position for a 7d2 in their lineup between 70d and 5d3 and in comparison to the crop competition.

Btw rumor has it they'll give the 7d1 another boost and lifetime extension with the firmware 3.0 in q4/2014 as they are eager to find out how long they people keep buying a camera with a by now 6 year old sensor. With this marketing data, they can push back the 5d4 release to early 2018.

Unfortunately they cannot improve the High-ISO performance of the sensor with another firmware and also not the resolution and dynamic range. Every thing else with the 7D is already fine. 

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 26, 2014, 01:25:09 PM »

Unfortunately they cannot improve the High-ISO performance of the sensor with another firmware and also not the resolution and dynamic range. Every thing else with the 7D is already fine.

AF is not on par with modern cameras.  Between poor IQ and slow inaccurate AF (relative to new sensors) It really makes it a poor choice for a new buyer.  Those two alone should imprive with the 7D2 making it a better choice.  How it stacks up with 5diii and 1div, 1dx we'll see.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #159 on: April 26, 2014, 03:30:52 PM »

Alas, they also won't enlarge the pixels - after adding a ff 6d to my crop 60d I found that the "elasticity", i.e. what amount of editing you can get away with w/o introducing artifacts in post is much better in ff files.

Btw you can currently add +2 stops of dynamic range on the 7d with Magic Lantern's dual_iso module and ~0.5 stop with the upcoming mini_iso module - I really depend on these for noon and sunset shots of moving objects.

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 26, 2014, 05:45:51 PM »
How about avoiding the "between" by making a step to the side?
I.E. take the dual photodiodes concept to its logical conclusion by pairing it with state of the art readout rates and enough processing power. For the next small frame body two foveon-like sensels. perhaps each cell read at an setting that yields the best data. Lets say half at the set/base ISO, half at the amplfication that based on metered light flux would just avoid clipping. As a bonus one could do painfree compositing off footage recorded with such a sensor.
And while we're at it - how about making the flashfrozen- and moving picture fractions equally happy at the same time? 8)

Its not that there is no room for improvement, more a matter of willingness to try the road not taken. Ask the Roxolani. :-X

Loren E

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2014, 05:15:38 PM »
if it has the Same AF as the 5Dmk3 I will probably get one to use with the tamron 150-600, hopefully the body and ergonomics will be essentially the same as the 5Dmk3 and also please please use the same battery as the 5Dmk3

sigma 50mm 1.4 on the 5Dmk3 tamron 150-600 on the 7Dmk2 and the 11-22EF-M on the EOS-M and i might never have to change lenses again :P.... (that was sort of a joke for anyone thinking of giving me a lecture)

I just want the 7DII to be a 5DmkIII with an APS-C sensor that trades high ISO and dynamic range full frame glory for a nice FPS boost. (Of course high ISO and DR would hopefully be significantly improved over the current 7D but obviously won't come close to FF standards.) I doubt Canon is going to give me this 22mp-ish APS-C workhorse though.

TrabimanUK

• EOS M2
  • In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2014, 10:35:53 AM »
I agree.

I'd be more than happy with:
  • 18-24MP.
    10fps.
    Better low light IQ up to ISO 6400, not too fussed with "1 million ISO mwahahaha!", to enable shooting in the dark, just something akin to the 5Dc or 1D IV in terms of IQ and low light ISO, .g. egrading arund ISO 1300, as it ain't going to be anywhere near the 5DII or 5DIII as it will (likely) be APS-C.
    APS-C or APS-H.
    Better AF, yes, maybe mixing dual pixel from the 70D with the 61 point setup from the 5DIII would be nice.
    Same or lower price than the 5D III.
    Released (available) before July (2014).
At the moment it's looking like I'll be getting a 5DIII to safari with, when I really want the reach of a top-end APS-C  :(
Canon 1D, 5D, 5DIII, 70D, 60D, SX150-IR/UV, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM,
 Sigma 10 F2.8 EX DC DIAGONAL FISHEYE HSM,  12-24 DG HSM, 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2014, 10:35:53 AM »

Loren E

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »

Better AF, yes, maybe mixing dual pixel from the 70D with the 61 point setup from the 5DIII would be nice.
Same or lower price than the 5D III.

Nikon folk are lucky to have a crop camera with F8 autofocus in the D7100 - Canon really needs one!

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2014, 05:51:50 AM »
Nikon folk are lucky to have a crop camera with F8 autofocus in the D7100 - Canon really needs one!

Canon decided agaist competing with Nikon on a feature/price basis and most likely this strategy will stick for some time concerning camera bodies. Obviously they just revised their pricing strategy with midrange lenses (16-35L/4), but camera models that get revised rather often is a cash source they won't give up unless threatened by their shareholders.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2014, 05:51:50 AM »