September 30, 2014, 08:45:56 AM

Author Topic: B&H or Adorama  (Read 8730 times)

Glennard

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
B&H or Adorama
« on: March 11, 2014, 01:10:29 PM »
need help guys, this will be my first purchase on expensive glass. B&H and Adorama both have deals on Tamron 24-70mm.
Adorama deal: Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Lens for Canon EOS - U.S.A. Warranty - Bundle - with New Leaf 3 Year (Drops & Spills) Warranty, Lowepro Lens Exchange 100AW Black, Hoya Alpha 82MM UV Filter = $1,224.00 (with $100 rebate)
B&H deal: Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD Lens WITH 4% rewards = $1,299.00 (with $100 rebate).

thanks everyone, i might purchase the lens tomorrow or definitely sometime this week.

canon rumors FORUM

B&H or Adorama
« on: March 11, 2014, 01:10:29 PM »

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: B&H or Adorama
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »
Chances are, things will be fine with both companies...IF things go well.

If something goes wrong, I personally would rather deal with B&H customer service. 
I know somebody who is currently in limbo due to Adorama's suboptimal packaging and expensive Zeiss lens arriving damaged, involving mutliple returns to get the same lens in one piece.  The lens is now stuck in UPS-claims-denied world with no end in site and no help from Adorama. 

On a personal level, remember the time Canon EOS-M/lens package was on $300 sale, and after taking a bunch of orders, Adorama unilaterally cancelled their customers' orders without any replacement or offers when the exact body/lens combo was no longer in stock. On the other hand, B&H Photo, in same predicament, decided to honor their customers' orders and shipped out the EOS-M/lens/+ bonus flash package they DID have in stock, at the same price.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 01:38:01 PM »
I've ordered many times from both companies and would recommend B&H over Adorama primarily because they ship the fastest (i.e. get your order out of their warehouse to the shipper).  Other than that, B&H and Adorama both have excellent customer service and you can't go wrong with either.

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 01:40:33 PM »
I have bought some from Adorama and Lots from B&H. I have been getting discounts at Adorama, but nothing at B&H. That, I must admit, irritates me a bit, considering the amount of money I have sent their way. But I have never, really Never, had a problem with any delivery or product from B&H.
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 02:00:46 PM »
I've had 2 really bad experiences with Adorama:

1.  Purchased a Canon 5D Mark II.  Came out of the box with a bad battery.  The only way Adorama would ship me a replacement was to return the bad battery, wait 5-7 business days for the return to process through their system, then they send me a replacement by the slowest ground shipping available.  That meant about 2 weeks without a battery for my new camera.  Obviously that was a non-starter so I ended up having to shell out the bucks to buy a battery off the shelf at Best Buy while my return was processed.

2.  My wife bought me several items for Christmas from Adorama.  Adorama shipped it via a method that left their warehouse via UPS but then got handed off the the U.S. Postal Service somewhere enroute.  Once the USPS handoff was made, all tracking info was lost.  The shipment went missing.  Adorama required it to be "non-delivered" for 30 days before they would send a replacement shipment out.  So I got my Christmas gift somewhere near the end of January.

Never had any such problems at B&H.  They are spot on with rapid service and customer satisfaction every single time.

I've reluctantly bought from Adorama but only in cases where I needed something "right now" and couldn't get it at B&H or the discount being offered was so big that I was willing to take a risk.   

Skatol

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Richardson Photographic
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 02:25:51 PM »
I personally have never purchased from Adorama.  B&H has received my business almost exclusively for the last 5 years.  Customer service is top notch.  On the few returns I've made there were no questions asked.  A simple PDF RMA form was e-mailed, all I had to do was print it and put it in the box.  Free return shipping label was included as well.  Fortunately I am fairly close to NYC so I get my shipments within 1 to 2 days at the standard (often free) rate.  If you ever get the chance to visit the store you won't be disappointed.  The line is long but once you get to see a sales person there is no rush and you get to spend as much time as like.  Truly a pleasant shopping experience.  No, I am not a B&H employee, just a very satisfied customer.
1DIV, 5DIII, 7D and too many lenses to list.
Too much time, too little gear...scratch that, reverse it.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 02:33:27 PM »
+1 with BH

90% of my camera bodies and lenses were purchased through BH. ZERO ISSUE so far...
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 02:33:27 PM »

Glennard

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 02:36:58 PM »
i think we clearly have a winner here, B&H it is! thank guys, i truly appreciate everyone's immediate response..although on Adorama's deal "New Leaf 3 Year (Drops & Spills) Warranty" included, is this a deal breaker or not?

Skatol

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Richardson Photographic
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »
although on Adorama's deal "New Leaf 3 Year (Drops & Spills) Warranty" included, is this a deal breaker or not?
I have not been in a position where I have needed a third party warranty.  Not to say that they are a bad thing, I just have never felt the need for the extra insurance.  I already have a rider on my home owners policy for my equipment.  This is really a personal matter to which I'm sure everyone will have differing opinions.
1DIV, 5DIII, 7D and too many lenses to list.
Too much time, too little gear...scratch that, reverse it.

silversurfer96

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 02:51:14 PM »
I buy my gears exclusively from Adorama and B&H.  All free shipping.  Lately, I have been buying more from Adorama.  Adorama has more package deals.  Can't go wrong with either one.
7D | 5D3 | 24-105 4.0 | 24-70 2.8 II | 70-200 2.8 II | 40 2.8 | 580EX II

skullyspice

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Photojensen.com
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 02:52:50 PM »
i have always purchased from B&H for the last 15 years or so and never had any problems.
5D3, 1vHS, 1nRS, F-1N x6, Fuji X-T1, Fuji X100
50 F1.2L, 100 F2.8L Macro, 200 F2.8L, 40 F2.8, 17-40 F4L, 24-105 F4L, 70-300 F4-5.6L
www.photojensen.com

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 02:53:51 PM »
I buy from both.  The only time I had a problem with a purchase from either company was with an order from Adorama, when something they sent me was damaged in transit and returned to them before I ever set eyes on it; it didn't take much to obtain a refund from them.  Other things being equal (i.e., in stock, same price, etc.), I tend to favor Adorama because provided I place my order by 8pm I will receive it the next day even if I select their cheapest (typically, free) shipping method, unless it's something fairly trivial like a filter (NY to Philadelphia is next day via UPS ground, which they tend to use).  If I order from B&H it usually takes a day or two longer.  No big deal unless you're impatient.  Of course, depending on where you live such a consideration may not make a difference in the first place. 

Both are equally good at accepting returns if you don't like what you bought, though again Adorama is slightly quicker here too - with B&H you have to await an email authorizing the return; you don't with Adorama.  But the wait is usually no more than an hour or so....

(Both seem equally good in terms of the quality of their used equipment too.)

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 03:06:45 PM »
I had a couple of issues with B&H. First, I was put off by their curt response when I had a query about a leveling base. Second, I bought this used Vello remote for Canon, and received a Shoot remote for Sony. However, they accepted a return in the latter case.
These will not deter me from buying from B&H, and the only point I want to make here is both Adorama and B&H might have isolated incidents with various customers, but as a whole they are both equally good.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:06:59 PM by sagittariansrock »
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 03:06:45 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 03:08:13 PM »
Personally I've had a pretty high frequency of minor issues with orders from them. For example, neither of my last two orders from them went smoothly. 

A while back, I needed filter wrenches that worked with 82mm filters for an upcoming outing where I knew I'd want to stack a CPL on an ND. Adorama carries them, whereas other stores only carry up to 77mm. The item was listed as in stock, I ordered three sets (for multiple bags, and because it's not worth paying for shipping just one $5 item). My confirmation email showed them as backordered. So, I called to inquire, and was told they only had two of them (I would have thought that should show up when I added three to my cart, but oh well). So, I changed the order to two, and was told they'd ship that day. By the next morning, I hadn't received a shipping notification, so I called again. Turned out they'd been sent from the warehouse to the retail store in Manhattan, instead of to me. They were able to locate them on the shelves, pack and send them. Fortunately, I had placed the order on a Wed, so the one-day delay meant I got them on Fri, in time for the outing (UPS Ground is overnight from NJ/NY to me).

Subsequently, I ordered a $65 item from them, which they had in stock but was a 7-14 day lead from B&H. A while after getting the order confirmation email, I got a second email stating, "Uh oh! The credit card used to pay for order #xxxxxx has been declined...It's probably just a misunderstanding, but your Visa credit card ending xxxx has been declined for $64.95. Often, this happens if the expiration date has passed or if you've reached the bank's credit limit." The latter suggestion made me chuckle - the available credit on that card is high enough that I could have charged the last SUV we purchased car on it. The former also wasn't true - I had actually updated the expiration date during the checkout process. I called them, and it turned out that was the problem - the new card had a new date, but also a new CVV security code, and I was not given an opportunity to update that on the website. Apparently it was a known issue, probably fixed some time back. The CSR updated the info, re-processed the purchase, and the item shipped.

Like I said, minor issues - nothing that prevented me from getting what I ordered by the time I needed it. But still, I had to call multiple times, wait on hold, etc. I've placed far more orders with B&H, online, by phone, and with their convenient iPhone app, and never had a goof on their part require extra time of mine to sort it out.  They've gone above and beyond, rerouting a UPS shipment from work to home when a severe storm delayed the delivery, shipping out the same item a second time when UPS tracking showed the first shipment went to south to Philly instead of north to Boston, etc.

Adorama's CSRs have been consistently friendly and helpful in getting the issues resolved, and Helen's participation here and elsewhere is certainly appreciated. While I will definitely continue to purchase from Adorama, the frequency of these minor frustrations that require extra time to address is rather disappointing.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 04:22:57 PM »
I lean towards b&h, but that is only because I haven't had any problems with them.  Adorama does a fine job but they sent me a cheap lens and the box was damaged.... and probably not by the post.  So... small problem that was quickly fixed... but still.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 04:22:57 PM »