December 18, 2014, 09:45:12 AM

Author Topic: B&H or Adorama  (Read 10409 times)

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
Re: B&H or Adorama
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 05:20:45 PM »
I've done more purchases with Adorama than B&H but have had good experiences with both.  All of this is anecdotal, however.  I once got food poisoning after eating a certain meal in Nepal.  It does not mean that that particular food item  is a bad thing.  Given the tons of orders both in the stores and online that each of these vendors do on any given day, it is always possible that something could go wrong.  Certainly how they handle that problem could mean something.

I'd have no qualms working with either of these stores.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 05:20:45 PM »

Mr_Canuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 05:36:31 PM »
Both are good and will make things right if anything goes wrong. If the prices are the same, I'll choose B&H. Just that much more attention to detail, like calling me to confirm that I actually wanted my shipping address to be different than my billing address.
6D | Voigt 20 | 24-70/4 | 40STM | 50/2.5M | 70-200/4is | 100/2.8L | EX270 | ST-E2 | Velbon ultra lux iL | RX100

Tabor Warren Photography

• EOS M2
  • I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
    • View Profile
    • Tabor Warren Photography
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 05:47:18 PM »
As others have stated, B&H if the prices are the same. Adorama seems to be the winner here with a lower price and goodies. I really feel like you truly cannot go wrong with either company though. I've had one minor issue with both of them, but have purchased enough from both that I would only expect to have at least one goof pop up by now. I hope this helps.

Cheers,
-Tabor
Bodies: 5D mk III x3, 5D mk. II, 7D, & 60D
Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L ISII, 85 f/1.2L II, & 100mm f/2.8L
Flashes: 600EX-RT x2, 430 EX II, and Godox PB960 x2 | To see my work head on over to http://photosbytabor.com

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 08:02:09 PM »
i've bought a fair bit of stuff from BH never had a problem, fast international shipping good packaging
never dealt with adorama though
APS-H Fanboy

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 08:27:03 PM »
I naturally gravitate to B&H first simply because they clearly state whether or not an item is in-stock. With Adorama is seems that you never really know if something is in-stock or not...

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 10:18:06 PM »
B&H send me their catalogues, which I like looking through.  So all things being equal, I favour B&H and its been a while since I've ordered from Adorama.  But I've never had any problems with either.   (Although, I have noticed an increasing incidence of them not wanting to post some items outside of the USA, including some Canon items.  Hopefully not a long term trend.).
Camera Obscura

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 10:48:36 PM »
I am in Toronto Canada and have used B+H for about five years. Their 'price is price' shipping option using Puralator is brilliant. I have bought several thousand dollars of stuff over the years from them and it has always arrived super fast and packed really well.

I have heard that Adorama has recently introduced a ' the price is the price' service but I have no experience with it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 10:48:36 PM »

scottburgess

• EOS M2
  • Canonical Canon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 10:55:48 PM »
I've always had great experiences with B&H, and have thus avoided other on-line and brick-and-mortar stores.  Once had a very obscure question about how a Canon camera behaved with a flash.  My local photo store not only couldn't answer, they were downright surly about how unwilling they were to find out.  When I called B&H, the person handling the call didn't know, but immediately asked if he could put me on hold for a minute to consult an expert.  He came back quickly with a complete answer.  That is great customer service. The "local" stores could probably learn a thing or two from B&H.

On the question of discounts which someone brought up: B&H instituted a 2% rewards program on many purchases a while back (sometimes more, sometimes less, as it depends on the product).  Buy a camera, and you might be able to afford to get a spare battery, for example. 

B&H also has never tried "bait-and-switch" tactics, or talking me into a more expensive product than the one I wanted.  Had that experience on a couple of phone orders prior to the Internet being my main connection.  Yuck.  Won't purchase from other places to save just a few dollars--I would rather see the Good Guys remain in business.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 12:33:01 AM »
BH has far wider selection of items to choose from - computers, hard disks etc etc.
BH sales people seem to be better trained.
However I always pick Adorama as in my experience it is a 'friendlier' store.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 12:41:49 AM »
I buy from both, but prefer to buy locally.  I'd suggest you consider establishing a relationship with a local dealer.  In the long run, a few dollars more will be offset by having someone who gives you personal service.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 04:31:10 AM »
I buy from both, but prefer to buy locally.  I'd suggest you consider establishing a relationship with a local dealer.  In the long run, a few dollars more will be offset by having someone who gives you personal service.

Unfortunately, very few places have well-stocked and knowledgeable dealers nowadays. And I know it is a vicious cycle. But still, when you walk into a camera store in Portland looking for some Arca Swiss accessories and the nice lady at the counter has no idea what Arca Swiss means and looks disinterested as soon as she realizes you are not in to buy a camera, that is very discouraging. If you are a professional in a big city with big camera stores, yes, a rapport with the local dealer is feasible and highly advisable.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 6D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 04:43:21 AM »
I've ordered many times from both companies and would recommend B&H over Adorama primarily because they ship the fastest (i.e. get your order out of their warehouse to the shipper). 

I don't think that's true, actually; Adorama orders for new, in-stock items that are placed right up until 8:00 pm ET are generally shipped the same day. As items are packed they go straight onto one of the UPS trailers in our shipping department. As soon as a trailer if filled we call for a driver to come and collect the trailer and take it to one of the UPS hubs, immediately.
Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 05:03:21 AM »
Chances are, things will be fine with both companies...IF things go well.

I know somebody who is currently in limbo due to Adorama's suboptimal packaging and expensive Zeiss lens arriving damaged, involving multiple returns to get the same lens in one piece.  The lens is now stuck in UPS-claims-denied world with no end in site and no help from Adorama. 

We actually pack above and beyond the industry standard.  Most packaging companies that come in and see our operation are taken back by the amount of pillows we use in one carton.  They actually drool to try and get our business, because it is not the norm. 
The industry standard is to put the item in the box to one corner and then fill the void with dunnage whether it be peanuts, pillows, foam, or paper.  Our standard is to blanket the bottom and the sides of the box and then place the item in the middle - and then fold over the pillows and add more to fill the box where needed. 
The only thing we don’t add any pillows to are items that ship in the vendor box, and soft goods (t-shirts, backpacks, hats, etc).

As soon as we are notified that an item is MIA we open a trace with UPS. UPS requires up 'til 10 business days to complete their investigations. There isn't actually anything that we can do during this period.

However, as it sounds from your description that your friend's issue has somehow slipped 'through the cracks', can you please have him email me directly: Helen@adorama.com with his order number and I will see what I may be able to do, to help.

On a personal level, remember the time Canon EOS-M/lens package was on $300 sale, and after taking a bunch of orders, Adorama unilaterally cancelled their customers' orders without any replacement or offers when the exact body/lens combo was no longer in stock.

I don't personally remember this, but if we were out of stock, and were not able to obtain any more units at the lower price, then I guess we will have had little option but to cancel the outstanding orders.
We sell across multiple platforms, eg Amazon, Buy.com and many others, plus of course we are receiving orders via telephone, the website and in-store. If we are already low on stock and we receive an upsurge in orders it isn't going to be immediately obvious which customer(s) may be disappointed. This is exacerbated because we don't actually charge until an order is shipped.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 05:07:57 AM by Helen Oster »
Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 05:03:21 AM »

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 05:25:13 AM »

I've had 2 really bad experiences with Adorama:

1.  Purchased a Canon 5D Mark II.  Came out of the box with a bad battery.  The only way Adorama would ship me a replacement was to return the bad battery, wait 5-7 business days for the return to process through their system, then they send me a replacement by the slowest ground shipping available. 

That doesn't sound right; most refunds/replacements are completed within 2 business days.

2.  My wife bought me several items for Christmas from Adorama.  Adorama shipped it via a method that left their warehouse via UPS but then got handed off the the U.S. Postal Service somewhere enroute.  Once the USPS handoff was made, all tracking info was lost.  The shipment went missing.  Adorama required it to be "non-delivered" for 30 days before they would send a replacement shipment out.  So I got my Christmas gift somewhere near the end of January.

It sounds as though your wife selected 'free' shipping; as per our website, this is 7-10 Business-Day delivery. In order for us to  be able to provide 'free'  shipping (which of course isn't actually, 'free', as we pay for it), we use a wide variety of carriers, FedEx, UPS, USPS, MessengerForYou, Manna, Mail Innovations and more.
When an order is placed online, the carrier is selected by the shipping department at the time when the order ships out.
There are a variety of determining factors; item weight, item size, item value, delivery location, and most important, delivery speed selected by the  customer.

When the order is picked up by the carrier, we provide them with the time frame.

If you would like a specific carrier to be selected you need to place your order over the phone with a salesman by emailing sales@adorama.com or by calling 800-223-2500. You can request the carrier of your choice and the salesman will manually select it for you. (USPS can only be selected if the order has a value of $195 or less).

If an item is lost by UPS, they require 10 business days to investigate and either find the missing item or instruct Adorama to refund or replace.
Last Christmas, the volume of orders greatly exceeded the number planned for by UPS, and while this led to numerous problems of late or failed delivery, I’m not sure that Adorama can be blamed for this....

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303345104579282432991595484
Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 05:29:17 AM »
i think we clearly have a winner here, B&H it is! thank guys, i truly appreciate everyone's immediate response..although on Adorama's deal "New Leaf 3 Year (Drops & Spills) Warranty" included, is this a deal breaker or not?

The New Leaf “Drops and Spills” service plan covers the repair or replacement of your product should it suffer an unlikely mechanical or electrical breakdown, or in the event of an unintended, accidental drop or spill. 

There is a clear difference between neglect, misuse and accidental damage, and the New Leaf "Drops and Spills” plan is designed to provide coverage in the event that your product is involved in a “single event”, unintended, accidental situation.   What does this mean? 
If you are using your product and you accidentally drop it, is it covered? Yes.  If your toddler grabs the lens because it was left in an unsafe location, is it covered? No – toddler should not have access to the product!

If you set your lens on the table and a glass of coffee tips over, is it covered? Yes. If you are skiing with your product in tow and you fall, is it covered? No – unsafe location……

There are so many different scenarios, I could never list them all! However, if you have any specific questions, Laura, a New Leaf representative, is always more than happy to address them directly. She can be reached at 972.573.1267.

Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 05:29:17 AM »