September 21, 2014, 10:19:52 AM

Author Topic: B&H or Adorama  (Read 8610 times)

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
Re: B&H or Adorama
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 05:46:58 AM »
.....I needed filter wrenches ....The item was listed as in stock, I ordered three sets ....My confirmation email showed them as backordered. So, I called to inquire, and was told they only had two of them (I would have thought that should show up when I added three to my cart....)

The problem is that if we may have had, for example, 20 in stock when you added them to your cart, but if several other customers were also ordering 18 pieces at the same time, but got to checkout and paid for their items before you, we wouldn't by  then have 3 available to ship!

....I ordered a $65 item from them, which they had in stock ....I got a second email stating, "Uh oh! The credit card used to pay for order #xxxxxx has been declined...It......I called them, and it turned out that was the problem - the new card had a new date, but also a new CVV security code, and I was not given an opportunity to update that on the website. Apparently it was a known issue, probably fixed some time back. 

This is actually a security precaution, and as far as I know is still in place. Customers are required to delete completely all pre-existing credit card information and then enter it all again from scratch. It is supposedly the most secure way for your information to be stored.

....I had to call multiple times, wait on hold, etc......Adorama's CSRs have been consistently friendly and helpful in getting the issues resolved, and Helen's participation here and elsewhere is certainly appreciated......

Thank you for your kind words - and if you do order from Adorama in the future and have an issue you really don't need to call in at all!  As a CR member, just a single email to me: Helen@adorama.com with an outline of the problem, plus your order number, is all that is needed.  :D
Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 05:46:58 AM »

winglet

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 05:52:55 AM »
Hmm. I really don't have anything bad to say about either store. If you know exactly what you want already, I would go on price alone from a reputable seller like either one of these or Amazon. If you want excellent customer service, both stores are legendary.

My only tip would be to try and have your order sent to a tax-free state if possible. It has saved me literally thousands and thousands of dollars over the years, having a sister living in Oregon. It makes every family visit like Christmas!  :P
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 05:56:23 AM by winglet »
Canon 1DX, 5DII | 50 f/1.2 | 85 f/1.2II | 100 f/2.8 Macro | 135 f/2 | 16-35 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8II | 70-200 f/2.8II | 200-400 f/4 1.4X | 8-15 f/4 Fisheye | 24 f/3.5TS | 4X 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT | Fuji X100s

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 05:54:50 AM »

[/quote]
.....Adorama does a fine job but they sent me a cheap lens and the box was damaged.... and probably not by the post.  So... small problem that was quickly fixed... but still.

I hope you notified us?

....With Adorama is seems that you never really know if something is in-stock or not...

I don't know whether you have visited the website recently, but this is being introduced, gradually. However, as I noted above, the most common reason for this happening is when an item is unexpectedly popular and the orders we receive outpace our website’s inventory update system. Adorama Camera is built on customer satisfaction and we do try very hard to avoid situations that cause disappointment.

I am in Toronto Canada....I have heard that Adorama has recently introduced a ' the price is the price' service but I have no experience with it.

Yes; in partnership with http://www.bilsi.com/
Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2014, 06:08:49 AM »
I have used B&H and will use them again. Have been very happy with their speedy and efficient service in the past and hope it continues.

I am actually in the process of buying a new 1066X CF card and decided to check Adorama out as I rarely go to their site, and they do not even have the one I want, so the order stays with B&H.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2014, 06:11:16 AM »

I am actually in the process of buying a new 1066X CF card and decided to check Adorama out as I rarely go to their site, and they do not even have the one I want....

I'd be interested to know which one it is, so I can alert our Purchasing Manager. Thank you: Helen@adorama.com
Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2014, 06:16:33 AM »

I am actually in the process of buying a new 1066X CF card and decided to check Adorama out as I rarely go to their site, and they do not even have the one I want....

I'd be interested to know which one it is, so I can alert our Purchasing Manager. Thank you: Helen@adorama.com

The Lexar 32GB 1066X CF Card and 64GB 1066X CF Card. Adorama only seems to sell them in packs of two and I only want the one 64GB 1066X card. Thanks.

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 06:27:50 AM »

The Lexar 32GB 1066X CF Card and 64GB 1066X CF Card. Adorama only seems to sell them in packs of two and I only want the one 64GB 1066X card. Thanks.

http://www.adorama.com/ILXPCF10632.html : 32GB x 1
http://www.adorama.com/ILXPCF10664.html : 64GB x 1
Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 06:27:50 AM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2014, 06:36:15 AM »

Thanks. I was going to ask how you found them as I had followed the path from the home page, but then I notice that neither of these two products have an image next to them for some reason which is why I may have overlooked them earlier. You may want to get someone to put the image up, as when it is greyed out like that with "image coming soon" it looks like you do not have them - at least it did to me.

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2014, 06:58:18 AM »

Thanks. I was going to ask how you found them as I had followed the path from the home page, but then I notice that neither of these two products have an image next to them for some reason which is why I may have overlooked them earlier. You may want to get someone to put the image up, as when it is greyed out like that with "image coming soon" it looks like you do not have them - at least it did to me.

You are 100% correct - major fail by our admin!! I've already alerted our purchasing department to get onto this asap. Thank you - BTW Can I get your email address before you place / pay for your order?
Helen Oster
Helen@adorama.com

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2014, 09:12:11 AM »
I've ordered many times from both companies and would recommend B&H over Adorama primarily because they ship the fastest (i.e. get your order out of their warehouse to the shipper). 

I don't think that's true, actually; Adorama orders for new, in-stock items that are placed right up until 8:00 pm ET are generally shipped the same day. As items are packed they go straight onto one of the UPS trailers in our shipping department. As soon as a trailer if filled we call for a driver to come and collect the trailer and take it to one of the UPS hubs, immediately.
Helen, thank you for your reply and I suppose you're right, but it seems like the orders from B&H have gotten to me sooner.  After looking at my orders, I see why - I have paid for upgraded shipping with B&H several times, and used your free shipping most of the time.  I will say that we consumers are very fortunate to have to excellent companies to purchase from and I'll amend my statement to say that you can't go wrong with either merchant and I would recommend Adorama over B&H simply because Helen takes the time to visit CR and respond to out posts :)
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III
I only shoot at ISO 100 with perfect technique - should I get a Nikon?

jhpeterson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2014, 09:25:33 AM »
My first experience with B&H was almost 20 years ago. I was changing trains in Penn Station, had a couple hours to kill and wandered into their location. Talk about a kid in a candy store!
Since then I've made several visits back and probably ordered from them close to a hundred times. There was only one occasion I ever had an issue, and they resolved it quickly, easily - and cheerfully. So, I have no hesitation on doing business with them and have recommended the place to probably a couple dozen acquaintances and friends.
I've had far fewer experiences with Adorama. Perhaps it's because I've never been in their store. But, on the times I have bought from them, I've never been disappointed, either. Now, after reading Helen's posts and learning about the lengths she goes to for customer satisfaction, I realize this company has an extraordinary asset. I'm sure they will be seeing a good bit more of my business.
1D iii (x2), 1DS iii (x3), 6D, 16-35L ii, 24-105L, 70-200L IS ii, 24/3.5 TS-E, 40/2.8 STM, 50/2.5, 100/2.8L IS, 135/2L, 300/2.8L, 500/4L IS, 430EX II, EF 1.4x ii, EF 2x iii

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2014, 09:29:57 AM »
After looking at my orders, I see why - I have paid for upgraded shipping with B&H several times, and used your free shipping most of the time. 

Some time back, B&H was definitely faster with the free shipping option - they continued using UPS ground for free shipments after Adorama switched to hybrid shipping (lower cost to them, but 5+ days to reach me, vs. next day via UPS ground from NJ to Boston).  Now that B&H also frequently uses hybrid shipping for the free option, there's no real difference in speed.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

henryp

• SX50 HS
  • B&H Photo-Video
    • View Profile
    • B&H Photo-Video
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2014, 10:05:21 AM »
Chances are, things will be fine with both companies...IF things go well.
If something goes wrong, I personally would rather deal with B&H customer service. 
...B&H has received my business almost exclusively for the last 5 years.  Customer service is top notch.
Thank you. Ideally nothing should go wrong, of course.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:37:25 AM by henryp »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2014, 10:05:21 AM »

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2014, 10:06:32 AM »
I buy from both, but prefer to buy locally.  I'd suggest you consider establishing a relationship with a local dealer.  In the long run, a few dollars more will be offset by having someone who gives you personal service.

I don't like my local store.  They have oem gear, but the other gear is cheap Chinese knock off stuff that you can buy off ebay for a penny... I'm not sure I will miss then if they went out of business...
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

henryp

• SX50 HS
  • B&H Photo-Video
    • View Profile
    • B&H Photo-Video
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2014, 10:14:07 AM »
(Although, I have noticed an increasing incidence of them not wanting to post some items outside of the USA, including some Canon items.  Hopefully not a long term trend.).
Speaking only for B&H, the only time we won't ship an item to a location outside the USA is when the authorized distributor (Canon USA for instance) or the US government prohibits us from doing so. Lately we're seeing more geographic restrictions from authorized US distributors.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:23:32 AM by henryp »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2014, 10:14:07 AM »