June 22, 2018, 09:41:32 AM

Author Topic: 6D or 5Dm3?  (Read 11819 times)

Hjalmarg1

• EOS 5DS R
  • Photo Hobbyist
Re: 6D or 5Dm3?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 02:56:12 AM »
Hi Everyone :D

Here is my question.
What do i purchase, the 6D or the 5DM3?

I've been using a 7D for the last 2 years and am now ready to go full frame. One of the reasons for this is because i shoot gigs and want to benefit from a lot less noise at high iso's.

My main concerns though are the price difference and the difference in auto focus.

I understand that the 6D is cheaper and has a great centre focus point which is great for low light. My main issue with that though is i dont like to focus and then recompose.

On the 7D with 19 foucs points (all cross-type) i always shoot with one focus point moving around the screen.

If im shooting in portait i usually stick the top point on the performers face. (far right in landscape)

Or sometimes if i want to get the full band in, i would again use one of the side focus points in landscape.

So i know that the 6D doesn't have cross type points on the outside, so would they work well enough in low light?
All anyone seems to talk about and test is the centre point.

I really dont want to upgrade model to then realise i've downgraded in features.

My other question is

I have spent the last 5 years using a Canon ef-s 10-22mm so going full-frame means I lose the ultra wide.
Now I might sound like a complete Biff here but how is this compared to my 24-70mm on a fullframe?
Is the 24mm end as wide as say 15mm on a crop using my 10-22?

Crop factor does confuse me

Anyway thanks for taking a look and if you can understand this waffle, please let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking

Matt

The 16-35mm f2.8 will give you the same view in FF as you had with the 10-22mm in your 7D. I moved from 7D to 5D3 basically because I didn't want to loss some of the features I have with the 7D but many more. 6D is a logical improvement if you move from revel or XXD Series since configuration of its operation is much similar.
Body: Canon 5DIII. Primes: 100mm f2.8L IS, 15mm f2.8 & 50mm f1.8 STM, Tamron 85mm f1.8. Zoom: 16-35mm f4L IS, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II + EF 1.4x III TC & 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II.
Travel kit: Fujifilm X-T2+ 4 lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 02:56:12 AM »

matt4p

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 12:39:41 PM »
Hi All

Thanks for all the replies and your comments. I went to a camera store a couple of days ago and compared the two. My big hands felt better around the 5DMIII, the focus points impressed me and the similar layout to the 7D was also appealing. I'm not interested in GPS or wifi and I cant see how I will cope using centre focus all the time.  I think the 5DMIII is the one for me. I've got one on order and hopefully I will have it before next wednesday's gig.
Thanks again for your help
Matt

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 07:21:30 PM »
Hi Everyone :D

Here is my question.
What do i purchase, the 6D or the 5DM3?

I've been using a 7D for the last 2 years and am now ready to go full frame. One of the reasons for this is because i shoot gigs and want to benefit from a lot less noise at high iso's.

My main concerns though are the price difference and the difference in auto focus.

I understand that the 6D is cheaper and has a great centre focus point which is great for low light. My main issue with that though is i dont like to focus and then recompose.

On the 7D with 19 foucs points (all cross-type) i always shoot with one focus point moving around the screen.

If im shooting in portait i usually stick the top point on the performers face. (far right in landscape)

Or sometimes if i want to get the full band in, i would again use one of the side focus points in landscape.

So i know that the 6D doesn't have cross type points on the outside, so would they work well enough in low light?
All anyone seems to talk about and test is the centre point.

I really dont want to upgrade model to then realise i've downgraded in features.

My other question is

I have spent the last 5 years using a Canon ef-s 10-22mm so going full-frame means I lose the ultra wide.
Now I might sound like a complete Biff here but how is this compared to my 24-70mm on a fullframe?
Is the 24mm end as wide as say 15mm on a crop using my 10-22?

Crop factor does confuse me

Anyway thanks for taking a look and if you can understand this waffle, please let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking

Matt

5Dmk3 and 16-35 f2.8L mk2 will directly replace the focal length of your 10-22 but its also alot faster aperture so much better fro gigs and decently sharp wide open for these events
APS-H Fanboy

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 12:18:33 AM »
It always amazes me as to how users think that AF is such a big issue with modern cameras, I guess that they somehow don't wonder how photos were taken for 100+ years without any autofocus at all, and yet fantastic images were captured of sporting events, bif, and other demanding events.  Certainly, good AF is nice, but hardly a big issue for me.  I did just as well with my Argus C3, my Yashica TLR, my Canon FTQL, any number of P&S cameras, and several early DSLR's.  I have had several 1 series DSLR bodies as well as Rebels, all the 5D series, even a D800!  I've had no issues capturing sports with any of them, its just a matter of paying attention and learning timing.  There were probably a billion supurb images captured with those old Graphlex 4X5 cameras where you had to slide in the film carrier, then pull out the film cover, and capture the image as quickly as possible.  Then reverse the process, flip the carrier over and take a image using the film on the other side.  They could do that in a second or maybe two.

I recently discovered some old pre 1920's National Geographic issues in my attic, and, sure enough, there were great photos of sporting events, wildlife, and birds in flight from the early 1900's using primitive cameras, the photographer just learned to deal with what he had..

Get as good of a camera as you can afford, and learn to use it.  You will do fine.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 01:15:17 AM »
I am sorry but that is bunkum.

Yes we made fine images when we shot manual focus, but keeper rates were dramatically lower, even for top end pros. When I shot sports in the '80's I was happy with 3 critically sharp images per 36 roll, an 8% critical keeper rate and I was average at the time and in the best of health and eyesight, nowadays keeper rates are in the order of 90-95% critically sharp.

AF is huge, that is why after a comparatively short introductory period they achieved universal acceptance, way quicker than practically any other major feature of SLR's. Universal acceptance of TTL metering and Auto exposure modes both took much longer.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 08:56:05 AM »
It always amazes me as to how users think that AF is such a big issue with modern cameras, I guess that they somehow don't wonder how photos were taken for 100+ years without any autofocus at all, and yet fantastic images were captured of sporting events, bif, and other demanding events.  Certainly, good AF is nice, but hardly a big issue for me.  I did just as well with my Argus C3, my Yashica TLR, my Canon FTQL, any number of P&S cameras, and several early DSLR's.  I have had several 1 series DSLR bodies as well as Rebels, all the 5D series, even a D800!  I've had no issues capturing sports with any of them, its just a matter of paying attention and learning timing.  There were probably a billion supurb images captured with those old Graphlex 4X5 cameras where you had to slide in the film carrier, then pull out the film cover, and capture the image as quickly as possible.  Then reverse the process, flip the carrier over and take a image using the film on the other side.  They could do that in a second or maybe two.

I recently discovered some old pre 1920's National Geographic issues in my attic, and, sure enough, there were great photos of sporting events, wildlife, and birds in flight from the early 1900's using primitive cameras, the photographer just learned to deal with what he had..

Get as good of a camera as you can afford, and learn to use it.  You will do fine.

This. +1

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 12:02:03 PM »
Just to mirror the high standard of argumentation and further elaborate the topic :-p

This. +1

This -1

I am sorry but that is bunkum.

Yes we made fine images when we shot manual focus, but keeper rates were dramatically lower, even for top end pros. When I shot sports in the '80's I was happy with 3 critically sharp images per 36 roll, an 8% critical keeper rate and I was average at the time and in the best of health and eyesight, nowadays keeper rates are in the order of 90-95% critically sharp.

AF is huge, that is why after a comparatively short introductory period they achieved universal acceptance, way quicker than practically any other major feature of SLR's. Universal acceptance of TTL metering and Auto exposure modes both took much longer.

This +1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 12:02:03 PM »

bdunbar79

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 12:49:28 PM »

Sorry, but as a sports photog that is a load of crap.  Rare photos back then are very commonplace and expected now, due solely to accurate/better AF.
2 x 1DX
B1G, MAC, GLIAC

ejenner

• EOS M5
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 11:56:02 PM »
T1i was the first camera that I owned with AF and I was amazed.  Then when I had a 5DII I wondered about all these people going on about AF.  I mean even with the T1i I could do better taking shots of my kids playing sports than I could with my A1.

Then I got a 7D used for $800.  Oh boy, another eye-opener.  Not just AF, but responsiveness and speed.  Then I started rationalizing that I could get rid of noise and for anything but landscapes and portraits the 7D would come out instead of the 5DII.

So I had to get a 5DIII.   I had told myself for over a year that I didn't really need it, the 5DII and then the 5DII + 7D combo was fine.  I lied.  Trying to shoot my kids running around indoors with the 5DII during the Christmas break and knowing that my 7D would get all the shots I was missing with the 5DII (but with ISO6400 noise) I finally pulled the trigger.  The 7D also got me fed up with focus-recompose that I was doing with the 5DII.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 11:56:02 PM »