December 18, 2014, 03:35:56 AM

Author Topic: 5D3 sharper images when using manual exposure (allegedly!)  (Read 6035 times)

Finvalid

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: 5D3 sharper images when using manual exposure (allegedly!)
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 03:47:39 PM »
He's not telling you the whole story.  You can get sharper RAW images with manual exposure, but only if you take the shots by pressing the shutter release on the battery grip instead of the body, while standing on your left foot, on Saturdays within three days of a full moon.

Haha, you just made my signature :)
You can get sharper RAW images with manual exposure, but only if you take the shots by pressing the shutter release on the battery grip instead of the body, while standing on your left foot, on Saturdays

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 03:47:39 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 12:55:48 AM »
Just a quick question on behalf of a work colleague. I should say I'm very sceptical, but anyway.....

He uses a 5D3 and 70-200mm f2.8 mk2 to shoot football matches. Normally he would keep things at f2.8 (thanks to the near-constant Scottish gloom) and let the camera do the rest. Whilst pretty happy with those results, for whatever reason decided to go fully manual and constantly juggle aperture and shutter speed to suit. Auto ISO is not used. He claims (RAW) exposures need next to no tweaking regarding over/under exposure. Now here's the thing, he says images appear sharper as a result of using manual exposure compared to Av priority.

I said I doubted things being sharper unless he's just using an "on average" faster shutter speed thus reducing any shake. He's been taking football pics for years and should know the minimum shutter speed he can get away with and seems quite convinced of the improvement.

So, sharper images when using manual exposure - is he just fooling himself? The obvious thing is for him to set up a test chart and do an Av priority shot compared to a manual exposure one. Personally, I ain't buying it.

Any thoughts?

Well, I have not read the entire thread, but there could be some truth to his story, problem is, he isn't giving you the whole story. Let's try to fill in the holes. There are three things that control exposure: Shutter, Aperture, ISO. None of these things are "neutral" in their impact to IQ, however. Shutter not only controls the duration of exposure, but also has an impact on the amount of motion blur. Aperture not only controls the quantity of light over time, but also depth of field. ISO not only controls the rate at which the image saturates, but can also exacerbate noise.

In an auto exposure mode, you control ONE of these things (or, in the case of M+Auto ISO, two). Lets say your friend used to use Tv. He could then control shutter, but aperture and ISO are arbitrary factors. Depending on the needs of the scene, even a lens that is sharp at f/2.8 may not be sharp in a deep enough field, so if your shooting in lower light,  you may end up with images that are sharp...in an extremely thin depth around part of your subject. Additionally, you might find that your images are noisier than you might have been able to achieve if you had total control over your exposure settings.

Av mode is similar. Again, you control one factor out of the three, and shutter speed and ISO become arbitrary factors. If you stop down your aperture to achieve the proper depth of field, your shutter might automatically end up too low, increasing motion blur. If you need f/8 for the proper DOF, depending on the capabilities of your camera and how the custom functions are configured, you might end up with a shutter that is MUCH too low, rather than an increase in ISO. You might have a low-noise image, but now you also have blur from camera shake.

Now, before I move on, better cameras, like the 5D III and 1D line, often offer much more configurability with custom functions to guide the camera into making the kinds of choices you would more often, thereby reducing the chance that you might fall into one of the situations where the camera chooses wrong, and your IQ suffers as a result.

There IS an argument for using manual mode to achieve sharper results. When you control every aspect of your exposure, you are also controlling every aspect of IQ. YOU control the shutter speed, and therefor have total control over whether you get motion blur or not. YOU control the aperture, and therefor have total control over whether the entire thickness of your subject is within your DOF. YOU control ISO, and therefor have total control over noise levels.

If your friend was really referring to his ability to exactly choose, via instinct or that natural sense that accumulates along with experience, the right shutter speed, aperture, and ISO to maximize his IQ....then he is absolutely correct. You CAN get sharper images when using manual exposure. The kicker is that you have to have the skill to gauge all the various aspects of your scene and your exposure settings to actually set them right and achieve that maximum level of IQ.

Personally, I use manual exposure mode for my bird and wildlife photography. I used to use Av, but I then I learned a bunch of new things, and I became aware of how to use manual mode properly to maximize IQ, on the fly, without having to actively think about it all that much. It's a technique that kind of comes along with a certain level of experience I think. With birds, I eventually got a sense of what apertures with what lenses I needed to get the right amount of the bird in the DOF, and at what minimum shutter I needed to freeze the bird's motion. I learned the range of ISO settings within which noise was acceptable and controllable in post. You also learn how to use the exposure meter at the bottom of the VF to help you, along with the brightness of various background factors, to gauge what your exposure needs to be (where the marker on the exposure meter SHOULD be pointing in order for exposure to be "correct" for that scene).

Once you reach that point, you don't have to think as much about what your doing when it comes to exposure. You make quick, momentary judgments about where you think the exposure meter indicator should be, what DOF you need, roll some dials, and start taking shots. You also begin to understand that once you set your exposure for a given scene in known lighting, you don't need to change your exposure once it's set. Only when the lighting changes, or you change your scene (i.e. point your lens somewhere else) do you then have to recalculate and choose new settings...but again, that should all happen in a couple of seconds and be done before you really realize you did it.

So, your friend isn't wrong, he just wasn't telling you everything. ;)

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2014, 05:55:30 AM »
There is no reason to use Av mode for anything...
"No Reason" is a mighty big place...a touch dogmatic?

On a 1-Series you can turn off modes.  Primarily I like to work either in Manual or Av, so the rest are disabled. So when I toggle the mode control, all I'll get is either M or Av.

Last night I shot a swimming & diving championship event at a major swim stadium. The light levels vary slightly from end top end of the main pool, and Av is perfect is this situation. To achieve max shutter speed, I'm locked on f/2.8. Only the ISO or exposure compensation get adjusted. Earlier in the week I shot the final dress rehearsal of a stage production of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. Naturally the lighting was all over the shop, as it should be for a stage production. Av was perfect. Track & Field athletics? Av please, especially under lights at night. In fact, just about any dynamic shooting situation where there are either subtle or substantial lighting variations, Av works for me.

-pw (Av fanboy)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 08:02:48 AM »
There is no reason to use Av mode for anything...
"No Reason" is a mighty big place...a touch dogmatic?

On a 1-Series you can turn off modes.  Primarily I like to work either in Manual or Av, so the rest are disabled. So when I toggle the mode control, all I'll get is either M or Av.

Last night I shot a swimming & diving championship event at a major swim stadium. The light levels vary slightly from end top end of the main pool, and Av is perfect is this situation. To achieve max shutter speed, I'm locked on f/2.8. Only the ISO or exposure compensation get adjusted. Earlier in the week I shot the final dress rehearsal of a stage production of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. Naturally the lighting was all over the shop, as it should be for a stage production. Av was perfect. Track & Field athletics? Av please, especially under lights at night. In fact, just about any dynamic shooting situation where there are either subtle or substantial lighting variations, Av works for me.

-pw (Av fanboy)

Works for me too. Perfectly. If I want to override it I use exposure compensation.

Badger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2014, 08:06:10 AM »
Actually, I think it sounds just as suspicious if you've had to afma ALL your gear. Are you sure your camera is okay or that your lens supplier isn't supplying you with lemons? I don't think it's normal that you don't get a single perfect lens. A big reason for buying high end lenses, among others, is that they tend to be better calibrated in the factory and the tolerances for quality control are higher.

I sometimes think there might be a misunderstanding of what AFMA is and why one would want to do it. If by some miracle all your lenses actually matched perfectly to your camera and needed 0 AFMA, there is a very good chance those same lenses might need some require some adjustment on a different (perfectly good) body and some different adjustments on a third (perfectly good) body.
The need for AFMA is not an indictment on the quality of the lens or the body, it is just an acknowledgement of the fact that the lenses and bodies are created separately. AFMA is just an attempt to allow us to form a "more perfect union" between our individual bodies and lenses :D
Canon 6D, EF 70-200 f/4 L USM, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, EF 35 f/2 IS USM, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 85 f/1.8 USM, 580EX

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2014, 11:50:31 AM »
To the Av vs Tv comments. I prefer to use Av for sports and birding, if I'm not shooting in M. I prefer to control my DOF and keep an eye on the shutter speed rather than the other way around. Both accomplish the same thing, just a preference.

climber

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2014, 01:10:58 PM »
That green icon on the 5DmkIII mode dial is the best. ;)

Just joking :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2014, 01:10:58 PM »

Skatol

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Richardson Photographic
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »
I returned my 5dIII and got a Rebel so I could use the handy Sports, Landscape and Macro settings :-*
Life is so much easier now, at least when I remember to change the mode.
1DIV, 5DIII, 7D and too many lenses to list.
Too much time, too little gear...scratch that, reverse it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »