September 20, 2014, 10:24:42 AM

Author Topic: Advice on monitor calibration hardware.  (Read 1169 times)

Monchoon

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Advice on monitor calibration hardware.
« on: March 14, 2014, 05:24:18 AM »
I am looking to purchase one of these types of hardware, but I am not sure of which one to choose.

I have been looking at the X-RITE i1Display Pro , and the X-RITE ColorMunki Display , there is also the Spyder 4.

I can also get the X-RITE Colorchecker Passport Kit with either of the X-RITE kits.

Any thought on which are the better kits and why.  And is it worth the extra cash to purchase the Colorchecker Passport Kit.

Ay help on this is appreciated , thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

Advice on monitor calibration hardware.
« on: March 14, 2014, 05:24:18 AM »

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on monitor calibration hardware.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 04:15:09 PM »
I have an i1 pro.  The software is a bit of a pain in the ass but it seems to deliver results.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 04:23:05 PM »
I use X-RITE i1Display Pro. Works fine for me.

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 04:40:18 PM »
I use X-RITE i1Display Pro. Works fine for me.

It works fine for me, I mean that the software not as intuitive as it could be.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 05:47:16 PM »
I agree with you Jim

fatmanmedi

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 09:07:27 PM »
i too use the  X-RITE i1Display Pro and have lots of good things to say about it, the Colorchecker Passport Kit for me is essential if you are doing studio photography, in fact it's essential for all photography where the colour must be accurate.

this gives a great review on the product and a quick guide on it's use http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/colorchecker-psssport.shtml

Fats

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 10:11:24 PM »
If you only have one monitor, that is you are not trying to get different monitors to "match" each other, save the money and get the X-RITE ColorMunki Display. You can use it on any number of screens, but it is not simple to get them to exactly match, though it can be done.

I believe the hardware is the same, the only difference between the two is the software, the X-RITE i1Display Pro has a much more advanced and customisable interface.

If you are interested on accurate colour then the Passport is a very good tool.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 10:11:24 PM »

Monchoon

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 01:00:42 PM »
It will mostly be used on one computer,  but I would like to use it to calibrate monitor's on at least 2 laptops and 2 desktops.

Not planning on doing any real studio work in the near future, but I guess from the above posts that the Colorchecker Passport Kit is a no brainer to purchase. 

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 01:31:53 PM »
It will mostly be used on one computer,  but I would like to use it to calibrate monitor's on at least 2 laptops and 2 desktops.

Not planning on doing any real studio work in the near future, but I guess from the above posts that the Colorchecker Passport Kit is a no brainer to purchase.

The Munki will do the multiple computers perfectly, it just isn't as good as the Display for multiple screens on the same computer.

For the money I'd recommend the Munki and Passport rather than the Display without the Passport. For multiple screens on the same computer I'd strongly recommend the Display.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Monchoon

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 01:40:09 PM »
i too use the  X-RITE i1Display Pro and have lots of good things to say about it, the Colorchecker Passport Kit for me is essential if you are doing studio photography, in fact it's essential for all photography where the colour must be accurate.

this gives a great review on the product and a quick guide on it's use http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/colorchecker-psssport.shtml

Fats

Thanks for the link.

I also forgot to mention the difference in price between the 2 X-RITEs is about $65, which isn't a hug amount.

Monchoon

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 04:06:03 PM »

The Munki will do the multiple computers perfectly, it just isn't as good as the Display for multiple screens on the same computer.

For the money I'd recommend the Munki and Passport rather than the Display without the Passport. For multiple screens on the same computer I'd strongly recommend the Display.

Ok at the moment I just have one Dell 24" but I am thinking of purchasing  a Dell U2713HM with the thought of adding another in the next 6 months or so. 

So should I maybe consider the pro version then?   Do you think this is a good monitor choice, or should  I search some other threads.

And thanks again for the info on the X-rite.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 09:56:52 PM »
The NEC displays are very highly rated for image editing, particularly the ones with Spectraview, it is an X-Rite puck and software but the monitor actually has it's own internal LUT.

They cost a bit more than the Dell's but if you wait to get the calibration setup then they are not too much more.

Monchoon

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 11:37:27 PM »
The NEC displays are very highly rated for image editing, particularly the ones with Spectraview, it is an X-Rite puck and software but the monitor actually has it's own internal LUT.

They cost a bit more than the Dell's but if you wait to get the calibration setup then they are not too much more.

The Nec's look  great but they are over double than the Dell's I am looking at .  Would love to have them but they are out of my price range at the moment.  But thanks for the recommendation .

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 11:37:27 PM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 12:25:32 AM »
Don't forget that price includes an X-Rite calibrator.

fatmanmedi

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 07:59:54 AM »
another suggestion would be Samsung SyncMaster S27B970D, they are coming in around the $800 mark and is a good screen.

fats

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 07:59:54 AM »