April 25, 2014, 01:53:32 AM

Author Topic: what the 1Dx may tell us about the 5Diii  (Read 9858 times)

psycho5

what the 1Dx may tell us about the 5Diii
« on: October 26, 2011, 01:03:48 PM »
first and foremost I have been a follower of CR for ~2 years now and never felt the need to chime in, until now...

It is hard to ignore the next 5D may have a 36mp sensor or somewhere in thereabouts, but could Canon simply use the same FF sensor as in the 1Dx? The two models would still be different just like the 7D is different than the T2i and the 60D.

or maybe perhaps Canon will repackage the 1Dx sensor in a body like the 60D, not have a frame rate more than 5 per second, and the 7D's AF system. A body like this for $2k would be great.

canon rumors FORUM

what the 1Dx may tell us about the 5Diii
« on: October 26, 2011, 01:03:48 PM »

outsider

Re: what the 1Dx may tell us about the 5Diii
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 02:14:37 PM »
From what I've read, the speculation is that the next 5D will be a high megapixel camera (more then the mark II) and another camera body will emerge using the 1Dx sensors, but with lower specs on the features, for a lower end market.
The 7D would remain the king of ASP-C sensor with the xxD being the prosumer and the xxxD being the entry level.

It's really anybody's guess.
:)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 02:16:22 PM by outsider »

psycho5

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 02:58:31 PM »
I really hope so... I've had the 60D since its release and always find myself reducing for web and the 18mp sensor is great for prints, however the 1Dx sensor in a 60D like body would best match my L glass.

I used my buddies 5D2 to see how my lenses look with FF and both the 16-35 and 24-70 made sense (i was blown away by the perspective), but I missed the beautiful reach of the 70-200ii on the 60D. I will certainly keep the 60D for this purpose. As a side note, its unfortunate a lot of people bash the 60D as it is a great camera!

This was a test shot the day my 135L came in and made me a beliver of the 60D sensor:

Family by a63jmt300, on Flickr

So yeah, a xxd type FF along with the pixma pro-1 and the rumored 35L ii are on my wish list

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 04:07:44 PM »
or maybe perhaps Canon will repackage the 1Dx sensor in a body like the 60D, not have a frame rate more than 5 per second, and the 7D's AF system. A body like this for $2k would be great.

I could certainly see Canon doing that if they used the 1DX sensor in an entry level body, give it decent build but low enough that pro's won't trust it.

Theres been alot of talk that we could see both that kind of FF body and a higher end high megapixel one.

Picsfor

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
OK, my two penneth worth on this.

The 5D2 has no bearing on the 1DX market i can assure you. Having played with it, the price is such that no one is going to buy this over a 5D2. I love the high ISO, it really is wicked. I love the AF system - really, it is the answer to my prayers for sure. I love the ergonomics of the body and the new placement of buttons and extra joystick

but - and it's a BIG but

The 1DX is over twice the price of a 5D2, and we know what happened to the last camera Canon made with a 21mp FF sensor that was over twice the price of a 5D2 - and this one is 3mp less!

However, press, wedding, wildlife, sports, action photographers whose livings depend on getting "that" picture will love it. Really. I would love it, it really felt comfortable in my hands - but not at that price.

A 5D3 with specs as i've mentioned else where on this site would appeal to the old 1Ds brigade who do not want high frame rate, 61 focus points or 204k ISO (though i'm sure an increase by a stop or 2 would be welcome). Just update that awful focus system, even to 9 full cross hairs, and up the sensor MP and Canon would be onto another winner. Oh, and add in that Gigabit network socket - no faster way of transferring such large file sizes or working tethered so easily. Hooked to an iPad? Hell it could be hooked to a 52" LCD screen which would really impress the clients in the studio!

To summarise - the 5D series will be the new 1Ds series. The 1Ds is dead. Those previous owners have spoken with their wallets, and made Canon an absolute fortune - why would Canon abandon that market?

redeyedfly

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 06:23:37 PM »
i hope the new 1dx is telling us alot about the up coming 5dii, especially given the age we are in and the technological abilities of today.  i know the 1dx is the cream of the crop but even half of these features on the new 5diii would be a major upgrade. 

i hope the ff sensor stays the same, no need for a larger mp sensor.  whats the point?  i personally would like to see a higher frame rate, such as atleast 6 - 7 fps (half of the 1dx would suffice here).  The dig. 5 processor is capable why not.  high iso would be a major plus also, but i would like to see some more comparable features to the nikon d700 or the upcoming d800 such as more bracketing options, and lots of focus points.

who knows whats going to happen, but i can't wait.  if its not up to my spec, i have no problems going over to the nikon d800.  id pay around $3500 for the right camera.  oh btw, i don't care one bit about upgraded video features.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:48:12 AM by redeyedfly »

Flake

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 06:24:31 PM »
From the earlier thread about new technology which might filter down to lesser cameras, the 1Dx has surprisingly few new features - plenty of incremental improvements, but nothing much new to pass on.

What can we expect in a 5D MkIII ?  Probably nothing that we haven't already seen, the only question is which combination will Canon choose to include.  A new autofocus 7D 19 point or the 45point of the 1D? Which metering?

Maybe there'll be wireless flash control, but I'd have expected that in the flagship 1Dx, wireless file transfer & gps look set to remain ridiculously expensive options.

Perhaps we have reached the point where the technology has matured to the point where new features are becomming fewer and all we can really expect are incremental improvements, which often cost more & more money for smaller improvements over the previous models.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 06:24:31 PM »

MazV-L

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 07:58:15 PM »
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Multiple-Exposure Feature something new for a Canon Dslr!? I'd love to see this feature included in the 5D iii.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Multiple-Exposure Feature something new for a Canon Dslr!? I'd love to see this feature included in the 5D iii.

Just curious. What does in-camera multiple-exposure offer that couldn't be done with layers in Photoshop? When Canon announced this, I admit I was scratching my head thinking this sounded more like a gimmick than a 1D series feature. I must be missing something here.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

MazV-L

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 09:08:30 PM »

Just curious. What does in-camera multiple-exposure offer that couldn't be done with layers in Photoshop? When Canon announced this, I admit I was scratching my head thinking this sounded more like a gimmick than a 1D series feature. I must be missing something here.
I'm not anti-tweaking photos, but I think it's much more fun to think creatively about setting up shots and trying to get the image I have in my head right in-camera first. I have been able to set-up multiple-exposures in-camera with my classic 5D but am very limited by light conditions and distance I can move from the camera during the exposure etc. Plus not all find it easy to use photo-editing software!

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 11:03:58 AM »
I think the biggest clue is the announcement is scheduled in Hollywood...  i.e. very video orientated... 

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 02:00:18 AM »
I think the biggest clue is the announcement is scheduled in Hollywood...  i.e. very video orientated...

I wouldnt say a 5D annouced in hollywood would necessarily be pushed towards video at the expense of other areas. Obviously the video aspect would be hyped up but really hollywood isnt any worse than anywhere else to hype a stills camera aswell.

One feature I'd hope moves down the line quickly is the 1DX's larger back screen.

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 03:43:09 AM »
A new autofocus 7D 19 point or the 45point of the 1D? Which metering?
That'd depend in part on how much space the AF sensor takes up, or how it fits in the current housing, wouldn't you think?  I'd expect a newly designed AF system before the 45 point system got reused, but that wouldn't be too bad either (so long as they took software cues from the Mark IV, and not the Mark III lines, that is...)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 03:43:09 AM »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 05:46:08 AM »
The full frame camera market is in an interesting state of flux at the moment.  As I see it, Canon have five options for the 5D MkII replacement:

1) Keep the major specifications the same as the 5D MkII and use the 18MP unit from the 1D X.
I’m not sure that you could sell such a camera on the basis of better high ISO performance alone; thus Canon would have to reduce the price.   This could work if:
a)   they can realise production synergies with the 1D X and other models to reduce the cost of making the camera (thus maintaining their profit margin)
Or
b)   they can realise a price point where they can sell enough extra units to compensate for the lower profit margin. 

2) Improve the major specifications over the 5D MkII and use the 18MP unit from the 1D X.  Differentiate from the 1D X based upon frame rate/buffer size, body size and viewfinder (+ probably a few other ‘pro’ orientated features such as Ethernet). 
i.e. the D700 strategy.  There are two dangers here:
i) Cannibalising 1D X sales in the same way that the D700 did to sales of the D3. 
ii) Alienating the section of the market of 5D MkII buyers who value resolution over build quality, AF and shooting speed. 

3) Take the 5D MkII and put a newly developed (for example) 36MP sensor in it. 
Problem: Nikon takes a D700 and puts a  36MP sensor in it; Sony builds a 36MP A9X based on their A77’s features: the 5D MkIII looks like the poor relation. 

4) Create a (for example) 36MP small body camera with improved AF, build quality and reasonable (4-6fps) shooting speed but keep the price near that of the 5D MkII. 
Problems:
a)   You’ve basically just built a 1D Xs and are only charging 5d MkII money for it!
b)   â€œI’ve just bought a 1D X and now I feel ripped off”

5) Create a 36-40MP body and improve some of the specifications over the 5D MkII, compromising others. 
Problems:
a)   It may be OK against the Sony, but might still look weak against the Nikon (so the price must be lower than the latter?). 
b)   People would always be speculating that the 1D Xs is on the way. 

If this looks like an awkward situation for Canon, bear in mind that Nikon are in the same boat.  In some ways it may be worse for them, as there would be uproar if they dropped any of the major specifications of the D700 for the D800. 

Sony’s strategy will only work if they can persuade full frame users of the benefits of the SLT concept and there’s not much evidence so far that they’ve persuaded the APS-C market yet.  Otherwise, they risk simply being the third choice brand all over again. 

UncleFester

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 07:53:39 AM »
The 5DII replacement will need at least it's 21mp sensor or it's dead in the water, imo.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 07:53:39 AM »