August 20, 2014, 05:42:56 AM

Author Topic: Calumet Photo Files Chapter 7 Bankruptcy  (Read 8747 times)

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Calumet Photo Files Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2014, 11:20:53 AM »
My preference is to deal with a bricks and mortar store,  but my local camera store has almost nothing in stock for higher end lenses.... They do not have a 28-70F2.8 or a 70-200F2.8 in stock.... And those are good selling lenses. They do not stock a 5D3 or a 1DX....

If there is anything I want, they have to order it in and it costs considerably more than from online and takes a lot longer to arrive.

It is as if they want me to purchase online....

That was part of the problem with Calumet. If you wanted something, you often had to have them order it. They would ship free to the store, but sometimes not to your house. Depending on what it was, sometimes I would have them order it and sometimes I would then order it from one of the online stores mentioned above. And, it would take longer if you ordered it from them than from Adorama, B&H, or Amazon. A friend of mine recently bought a Nikon lens from them and he said it took over a month for him to get it. The only advantage was that if you wanted to return something, you could return it to the store and not have to deal with mailing something back.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2014, 11:20:53 AM »

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »
I'll be brutally honest, I'm not sad to see them go.

I had a terrible experience with them regarding a BP1500 pack I purchased from them a couple of years ago.  Long story short, the zippers tore out 4 months after purchase (and a total of 35-40 field uses), and it required an act of Congress to get my backpack back from them.

Here's the long story... After the zipper tore out I was disappointed, but patient, and called Calumet regarding their "lifetime warranty."  To my surprise I was quickly helped and immediately given an RMA number.  Cool deal!  I sent the bag in for repair and was told I'd have it back in 2-3 weeks.  Three weeks went by.  Then five, and six.  After 8 weeks I called inquiring about my bag, and it became clear that they had lost my RMA info.  On numerous phone calls I was told "we'll call you back tomorrow," and I never heard from anyone.  I was never contacted once.  I finally had to get angry, and after not accepting the "call back" offer, I was put on hold while some one searched for my file.  The employee I spoke with told me, "we think your bag is at our OEM supplier for repair - we'll send it back to you when we get it from them."

No estimate for time.  Just, "we'll get it to you when we get it" kind of a deal.  I realized I had no other option, so I just waited.  During this time I submitted a review for the BP1500 backpack to the Calumet website.  It was negative, but honest and objective.  A few days after I posted my review, it was deleted from the Calumet website.  Wow - classy.  My backpack finally arrived about 90-days after I sent it in for repair,  and about 10 weeks after Calumet promised I would have it. 

After this incident I personally blacklisted Calumet, refusing to ever give them any of my money again.  I'm all about supporting brick and mortar and specialty camera shops (for example I much prefer buying from B&H over Amazon), however, I can't justify spending money on incompetence.  Especially when that incompetence impacts how I do MY job.

Just my $0.02.

bbasiaga

• EOS M2
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2014, 04:05:06 PM »
I think you may see an interesting shift in what retail stores are out there.  For instance, the most successful local camera shop I can think of has 3 locations in two cities.  They are small, their prices are list (so if the 5d3 is MSRP at $3499, that is what you pay vs. online where you might find a deal).  They have a very healthy print business, and offer tons of classes.  Their retail shop is mostly accessories, though they do have a good selection of cameras and lenses.  But when you walk in, they sell you on the little things they have to go with that stuff.  The bags, the straps, the light modifiers.  Their staff, which is mostly local photographers who work there part time, know how to use that stuff and can really do a good job of explaining it.  You might be able to find some of it online cheaper but it is right there and some guy showed you how to use it.  Worked on me more than once.  I learned about the Phottix Strato II triggers there.  I bought them there at the same price they were online (limited distribution online).  They did a pretty brisk business in used gear as well.

I miss that store.  I haven't found a local one in my new location that matches it yet. 

They didn't have to keep up on a national scale - only locally.  And they knew their crowd pretty well because of it.  Stores like them on one hand, and the super giants who can afford to have everything for everyone online may be the only camera shops left after a while.

-Brian

jeffa4444

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2014, 10:14:12 AM »
The internet may bring cheaper prices but the problem comes when you have an issue with a piece of equipment, many online retailers in the UK have grey imports and the warrenty is not backed-up by the local camera unit of say Canon or Nikon then what?
Secondly their is no substitute for experiance I watched a young girl new to photography given advice by a staff member at LCE in Guildford he was explaining carefully what she needed to do the photography she was contemplating who on the internet gives that service? No one.
Canon, Nikon et al. give virtually no margin on cameras so selling on-line is cheaper but in the end it may come back to haunt them.
Canon are supposedly going to open their own store in India to build brand awareness if shops keep disappearing they may need to do the same in major Western cities. 
Canon 6d, 7d & 550d with EF-S and EF-L glass

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2014, 10:34:29 AM »
The internet may bring cheaper prices but the problem comes when you have an issue with a piece of equipment, many online retailers in the UK have grey imports and the warrenty is not backed-up by the local camera unit of say Canon or Nikon then what?

Does Canon UK not honor gray market import warranty coverage?  Canon USA apparently does, as long as you have proof of purchase to confirm the date.

Secondly their is no substitute for experiance I watched a young girl new to photography given advice by a staff member at LCE in Guildford he was explaining carefully what she needed to do the photography she was contemplating who on the internet gives that service? No one.

Who?  Google and YouTube.  ;)

I do agree that personal service is quite nice, but there's a reason it's losing out.  I suspect a great many entry level camera buyers purchase at 'big box' stores and other large retail outlets (Target, Walmart, ASDA, etc.) where the sales staff isn't exactly knowledgable, or they buy online. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2014, 02:53:46 PM »

Does Canon UK not honor gray market import warranty coverage?  Canon USA apparently does, as long as you have proof of purchase to confirm the date.

Prior to buying my 500mm v2 in the UK I considered a grey import. I spoke with Canon Europe about warranties and was told they would not repair grey imports under warranty. What they did suggest was they could repair the item but you would have to pay for it, you would then send the bill to the original territory i.e. Canon US and claim a refund from them. That was the official UK/EU response.

LookingThroughMyLens81

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2014, 08:14:20 AM »
Liquidation of US stores has begun! Check your e-mails for the info.

Rockville, MD
Vienna, VA
NYC
Cambridge, MA
Chicago
Ft. Lauderdale
Santa Ana/Los Angeles/Escondido, CA

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2014, 08:14:20 AM »

jeffa4444

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2014, 12:58:51 PM »
Actually people DO prefer stores for high value items. Park Cameras have recently opened a two level store just off Oxford Street in London. Jessops brand was bought and some of their stores re-openned plus LCE are openning new sites.

Canon 6d, 7d & 550d with EF-S and EF-L glass

jma5terj

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2014, 04:25:39 PM »

Rockville, MD
Vienna, VA
NYC
Cambridge, MA
Chicago
Ft. Lauderdale

What kind of info was given? What hours are the stores open? I would swing by the Rockville one but I'm not on their email list.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2014, 04:31:25 PM »

Rockville, MD
Vienna, VA
NYC
Cambridge, MA
Chicago
Ft. Lauderdale

What kind of info was given? What hours are the stores open? I would swing by the Rockville one but I'm not on their email list.

Try calling them. They took down the phones when the stores closed, but they were answering them at the Cambridge store today.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2014, 04:31:25 PM »