December 17, 2014, 06:44:43 PM

Author Topic: Share your inexpensive accessories that made your gear productive or look cool  (Read 15675 times)

Cali_PH

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
I recently bought some Think Tank Red Whips.  They're made for cable management, but I mainly wanted something to add to my tripods; I use it to strap down my camera strap and shutter release when it's windy to prevent them from swinging around and causing vibrations.

http://www.amazon.com/Think-Tank-Red-Whips-Pack/dp/B00DH8BCNQ/ref=pd_sim_p_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=19VMZAYDA1CD1K34EPH2

I also like the other Think Tank organization bags; I've got a couple like one of the clear-sided ones someone posted earlier, but I also like the DSLR battery holder (I put fresh batteries flat side down against the back, empties go flat-side up):

http://www.amazon.com/Think-Tank-DSLR-Battery-Holder/dp/B007TIYZ3Y/ref=pd_sim_op_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1HVBCH4JXWSKFCR863CW

For shooting at night/low light, I bought glow-in-the-dark tape to make some things easier to spot; a ring around my tripod base, pieces on my memory card cases, shutter releases, flashes etc.  I carry a headlamp and a flashlight, but I don't always want to have to use those if I don't have to (if others are shooting around me, don't want to ruin my night vision etc.)

I grab shower caps from hotels and leave them in my camera bag in case I need a bit of impromptu weather proofing.  Old trick I picked up from a thread like this on some photography forum.

canon rumors FORUM

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
A simple white kitchen trash bag. Folds up nicely in your camera bag for when you get caught in the rain. Also makes a great flash diffuser.
I do that too....
The best camera is the one in your hands

DominoDude

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
One item that I have is a homemade memory card holder. It holds 3 overlapping CF cards in their plastic containers and slips easily into small pockets on the straps of one of my packs. It was made as an experiment, so has been done by crocheting. The plastic container for the CF card was used as a mould. It's naturally stretchy, and easy to handle.

I recently discovered the Cocoon Grid-It system. I recently assembled a connector kit for audio and used it along with a Think Tank Cable Management 20 and a 15' mini to mini cable. I'm giddier about this than I should be.

Oh, that looks supersmart and useful in so many ways! I even think it would be possible to create something similar from scratch to fit inside pockets of my backpacks. *scratches head and starts thinking*
Perfection - it's ok to strive for it, but never make it your primary goal.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
I bought some Coleman 10-Inch Steel Tent Stakes and a Sierra Designs Reflective GuyLine Kit to strap down my light stands when outdoors.  It takes a bit more time than sand bags, but it's WAY more portable and stable if you set up 3 or 4 guylines per light stand.

EricFiskCGD

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • How many lenses are enough? One More!
    • View Profile
I bought some Coleman 10-Inch Steel Tent Stakes and a Sierra Designs Reflective GuyLine Kit to strap down my light stands when outdoors.  It takes a bit more time than sand bags, but it's WAY more portable and stable if you set up 3 or 4 guylines per light stand.

I'm gonna remember that next time! And I get one over on my wife when she nags about not being able to throw those tent pegs out from long ago!
EOS Rebel T3i
EF-S 18-55mm
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II

Skatol

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Richardson Photographic
For shooting at night/low light, I bought glow-in-the-dark tape to make some things easier to spot; a ring around my tripod base, pieces on my memory card cases, shutter releases, flashes etc.  I carry a headlamp and a flashlight, but I don't always want to have to use those if I don't have to (if others are shooting around me, don't want to ruin my night vision etc.)
Thanks, I like this idea.
1DIV, 5DIII, 7D and too many lenses to list.
Too much time, too little gear...scratch that, reverse it.

DKN

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • 500px page
I thought about sharing this one. It's a custom mount for my Nexus 5 on top of the hotshoe. It cost me about 20€ to make and through DSLR controller (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller&hl=it) and a USB OTG cable it gives an external full hd monitor, with focus peaking, zebras, intervallometer and much more :)

canon rumors FORUM

axtstern

• Rebel T5i
  • EOS M(ediochre)
    • View Profile
My cheap trick No 1

http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/

Emergency Lens Shades from cardboard for free

axtstern

• Rebel T5i
  • EOS M(ediochre)
    • View Profile
Cheap Trick No 2

Low cost China Version of a screen with focus help for 5D2.
below 20$ on Ebay, below 5$ on Alibaba

It Comes without the dust but my 2 year old decided to play with it before I made the Picture...

axtstern

• Rebel T5i
  • EOS M(ediochre)
    • View Profile
Cheap Trick No 3

Canon Extension Tube EF 25mm II

Ok, not cheap in fact expensive as you can get 3 non Name rings for the price of this Piece of sh*te but...
This ring or any other Extension ring saves you real espace in your camera bag.
I always like to cary my lenses upright in the bag unless I go above 135mm.
The Problem are all this short stumpy lenses which are just 6 cm (or less) high but take up a full slot in the bag. Solution is to use the Extension ring to stack otherwise unstackable things together. My prefered camera bags can hold and protect lenses up to 18 cm long. So here is my EF 50mm ==> EF 25 II ==> EF1.4x stack 

axtstern

• Rebel T5i
  • EOS M(ediochre)
    • View Profile
Cheap Trick No 4

Chinese bottle holder for camera bags. Price is below 1$
Supposed to fit arround the neck of the usual small sized PET fizzy bubblech bottles.
Works as designed.
Fits even better arround any mono or tripod leg that has a neopren mantle. Perfect to secure a Million things to your bags etc...

axtstern

• Rebel T5i
  • EOS M(ediochre)
    • View Profile
Cheap Trick No 5

If you own a Sigma 18-35 1:1.8 than throw the LCF 72 III lens cap away and buy any cheap 72mm replacement.
Why? look at the attached picture. The 18 little notches at both sides of the inner ring are sturdy and have extremly sharp edges. My lenses often take some punishment but the Sigma has now killed two expensive filters while being stored inside my Tamrac bag. It seems that any hard contact drives these notches into the filter glass and as it hits the glass on almost 18 places fairly distributed  over the perimeter the filter does not only crack but shaters into several large pieces and a lot of fine splinters.  So if you love your expensive filters, pair them with a proper cover.

axtstern

• Rebel T5i
  • EOS M(ediochre)
    • View Profile
Cheap trick No 6

Chinese no Name LED lamp
19$ on Ebay or 10$ on Alibaba
What is so special?

Comes with two BP 4L batteries and a US compatible charger.
If the supplied batteries are empty (only one is used but both can be carried in the device) you can take them out and replace them with Standard AA cells. The front cover is attached with magnets and clear. the back cover is yellow and can be switched with the front cover to Change light temperature.

Magnets are stong enough to hold the back cover even when you use tack gum to attach an android phone to it to be used as a viewfinder.

canon rumors FORUM

axtstern

• Rebel T5i
  • EOS M(ediochre)
    • View Profile
Last one for tonight (This one is for you Suprapon)

JJC LH 43NX lens shade for the Canon EFM 22mm

Better Quality, lower Price, much more protection from sun and damage than the Canon original can offer.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
Cheap Trick No 3

Canon Extension Tube EF 25mm II

Ok, not cheap in fact expensive as you can get 3 non Name rings for the price of this Piece of sh*te but...
This ring or any other Extension ring saves you real espace in your camera bag.
I always like to cary my lenses upright in the bag unless I go above 135mm.
The Problem are all this short stumpy lenses which are just 6 cm (or less) high but take up a full slot in the bag. Solution is to use the Extension ring to stack otherwise unstackable things together. My prefered camera bags can hold and protect lenses up to 18 cm long. So here is my EF 50mm ==> EF 25 II ==> EF1.4x stack
I use extension tubes to stack my 1.4x and 2x together for carrying to bring three items in less space.

canon rumors FORUM