August 29, 2014, 10:11:22 PM

Author Topic: Share your inexpensive accessories that made your gear productive or look cool  (Read 12994 times)

ninjapeps

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
I don't recall it being mentioned... but I use the yongnuo 622c's and the first set I got only one of the transceivers was fully functional, so you have to keep that in mind... but they quickly and efficiently add ettl wireless control over your speedlites.  And at roughly $40 each.. that is a steal.

I was supposed to buy Odins when I found out about the YN622s. 1/4 the price of an Odin set and it does everything I need it to do. They're not perfect but so far, the only problems I've had were when the batteries needed to be replaced.

I recently bought some Think Tank Red Whips.  They're made for cable management, but I mainly wanted something to add to my tripods; I use it to strap down my camera strap and shutter release when it's windy to prevent them from swinging around and causing vibrations.

Would you know if Red Whips are strong enough to hold up a flash? There are times when I'd like to put flashes in places where I can't use a light stand and no flat surface for the flash to stand on but plenty of bars/branches/whatever to hang from.
sanity is for people without imagination

canon rumors FORUM

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile

I recently bought some Think Tank Red Whips.  They're made for cable management, but I mainly wanted something to add to my tripods; I use it to strap down my camera strap and shutter release when it's windy to prevent them from swinging around and causing vibrations.

Would you know if Red Whips are strong enough to hold up a flash? There are times when I'd like to put flashes in places where I can't use a light stand and no flat surface for the flash to stand on but plenty of bars/branches/whatever to hang from.

Manfrotto Justin Clamp, though there are much cheaper copies out there now. You wouldn't believe how cool they are till you use one.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
I have a thermarest pad, about 1 by 1.5 feet, that I use for comfort when waiting for a shot. I kept my rear end warm Monday when I sat in the snow for almost an hour waiting for ducks to wander close enough for a shot....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Cali_PH

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

I just tried strapping a Yonguo 560 II with batteries to a tripod leg and it was fine, even with some up & down shaking.  But there are probably some caveats. I've added foam covers to my tripod legs, which gives it some friction.  I'm not sure how it would do if you strapped it to a vertical smooth metal bar, for example, I could see a larger, heavier flash slide down a pole.  Also, I put both the leg and flash THROUGH the loop before tightening, but you won't always have that option, and one of the whips isn't long enough to loop around a thicker object and a flash; in that case, you'll need to hook 2 whips together (the package I bought has 10).  Not a big deal, they're so small and light you won't notice the weight of a pack in your bags.

ninjapeps

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Manfrotto Justin Clamp, though there are much cheaper copies out there now. You wouldn't believe how cool they are till you use one.

I've read about those before but haven't been able to find any sold locally, though I wasn't really trying. Thanks!

I just tried strapping a Yonguo 560 II with batteries to a tripod leg and it was fine, even with some up & down shaking.  But there are probably some caveats. I've added foam covers to my tripod legs, which gives it some friction.  I'm not sure how it would do if you strapped it to a vertical smooth metal bar, for example, I could see a larger, heavier flash slide down a pole.  Also, I put both the leg and flash THROUGH the loop before tightening, but you won't always have that option, and one of the whips isn't long enough to loop around a thicker object and a flash; in that case, you'll need to hook 2 whips together (the package I bought has 10).  Not a big deal, they're so small and light you won't notice the weight of a pack in your bags.

Sounds good enough to me. Worst case is that they'll end up being used for their actual purpose rather than strobing. Thanks!

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
Cheap Trick No 5

If you own a Sigma 18-35 1:1.8 than throw the LCF 72 III lens cap away and buy any cheap 72mm replacement.
Why? look at the attached picture. The 18 little notches at both sides of the inner ring are sturdy and have extremly sharp edges. My lenses often take some punishment but the Sigma has now killed two expensive filters while being stored inside my Tamrac bag. It seems that any hard contact drives these notches into the filter glass and as it hits the glass on almost 18 places fairly distributed  over the perimeter the filter does not only crack but shaters into several large pieces and a lot of fine splinters.  So if you love your expensive filters, pair them with a proper cover.
Very useful info ... good to know and thanks for sharing.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
I thought about sharing this one. It's a custom mount for my Nexus 5 on top of the hotshoe. It cost me about 20€ to make and through DSLR controller (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller&hl=it) and a USB OTG cable it gives an external full hd monitor, with focus peaking, zebras, intervallometer and much more :)
Sounds good. But I did not understand the second image. Is that a wooden block on the camera? if yes, what it is it for?
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Cheap Trick No 3

Canon Extension Tube EF 25mm II

Ok, not cheap in fact expensive as you can get 3 non Name rings for the price of this Piece of sh*te but...
This ring or any other Extension ring saves you real espace in your camera bag.
I always like to cary my lenses upright in the bag unless I go above 135mm.
The Problem are all this short stumpy lenses which are just 6 cm (or less) high but take up a full slot in the bag. Solution is to use the Extension ring to stack otherwise unstackable things together. My prefered camera bags can hold and protect lenses up to 18 cm long. So here is my EF 50mm ==> EF 25 II ==> EF1.4x stack
There is a simpler way, for years I have glued two lens back-caps together back-to-back to achieve exactly the same thing.

-pw

moocowe

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile

I use cheap versions of the GorillaPod for that. Just search online for flexible tripods and you can find them for the price of a pint.

moocowe

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
There is a simpler way, for years I have glued two lens back-caps together back-to-back to achieve exactly the same thing.

You can buy them ready made, but they're expensive for what they are.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/OpTech-Double-Lens-Cap-Lenses/dp/B001NDU2SI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1395301046&sr=8-4&keywords=op-tech+lens+cap

ninjapeps

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
I use cheap versions of the GorillaPod for that. Just search online for flexible tripods and you can find them for the price of a pint.
I actually already have a GorillaPod, though I have yet to use it for positioning my lights. Besides, I'm fairly certain that the whips will be cheaper. If nothing else, they'll definitely be smaller and lighter.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile

gorrilla pods work great too
APS-H Fanboy

axtstern

• Rebel T5i
  • EOS M(ediochre)
    • View Profile

-pw

To learn this little things I come to this forum
Many thanks from my side

canon rumors FORUM

axtstern

• Rebel T5i
  • EOS M(ediochre)
    • View Profile
Cheap Trick No 8

Kenike UV protection filter

This tip is for the world of brick and mortar only. It seems that Kenike always sells their full range to shops which then have to lower their prices to get the not so popular sizes out of the shelf.

If you own a Tamron 18-270 PZD VC than the Kenike is the most 'stylish' and cheap option.
The filter is slim and has a little gold ribbon exactly matching the one at the lens. This golden ring is missing on any of their larger filters.

In regards to quality I did not discover any further issues beyond what the Tammy anyway brings to bear.

DKN

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • 500px page
I thought about sharing this one. It's a custom mount for my Nexus 5 on top of the hotshoe. It cost me about 20€ to make and through DSLR controller (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller&hl=it) and a USB OTG cable it gives an external full hd monitor, with focus peaking, zebras, intervallometer and much more :)
Sounds good. But I did not understand the second image. Is that a wooden block on the camera? if yes, what it is it for?

The block is used to connect the screw coming from the hotshoe to the cover of the phone, which is fixed via two more screws. It was the cheapest way of packing all together

canon rumors FORUM