November 28, 2014, 11:03:01 AM

Author Topic: Wacom Intuos Creative Pen & Touch tablet  (Read 2538 times)

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
Wacom Intuos Creative Pen & Touch tablet
« on: March 16, 2014, 01:27:43 PM »
About 2 weeks ago I bought the Canon 6D. With it, I got a full license of Adobe Lightroom 5 & Premiere Elements 12. On top of that I got for free the Wacom Intuos Creative Pen & Touch tablet.
Nice package deal.

Now, I just wonder what to do with the tablet. I never used a pen and tablet for post-processing my photos. It is really something different.

Do you use a pen and tablet for post-processing your photos? Can you share your experience in what is good and what is less good? Maybe there are huge advantages and I just need to get into it  :-\

Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

Wacom Intuos Creative Pen & Touch tablet
« on: March 16, 2014, 01:27:43 PM »

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Wacom Intuos Creative Pen & Touch tablet
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 06:27:53 PM »
I use mine in LR5 for brushstrokes.  You can use it to replace your mouse entirely and use gestures to do lots of things but I haven't found reason to learn that yet.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 07:37:40 AM »
I use mine in LR5 for brushstrokes.  You can use it to replace your mouse entirely and use gestures to do lots of things but I haven't found reason to learn that yet.

Jim

Thanks Jim for your reply.

Does it mean that you use mouse and pen/tablet (thus you only switch to pen/tablet when working with the brushstrokes) or....do you use exclusively pen/tablet?
To use both seems logical but is that convenient?

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 07:16:41 PM »

Thanks Jim for your reply.

Does it mean that you use mouse and pen/tablet (thus you only switch to pen/tablet when working with the brushstrokes) or....do you use exclusively pen/tablet?
To use both seems logical but is that convenient?

You can have them both connected at the same time and use your mouse as per normal, and then use the tablet for strokes; the cursor will simply move to wherever the stylus lands.  So other than a little bit of cursor wrangling it is seamless to move from one to the other.  That's how I employ it, although greater time pressure might make learning all the zoomy features worth it.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 04:13:35 PM »
A rep from Wacom is giving a webinar on Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM PDT.

Join Wes Maggio, Sr. Evangelist for Creative Products with Wacom for this fun and informative webinar as he demonstrates why a tablet is a critical element in a photographer’s workflow. An avid shooter and all around tablet guru, Wes will show you how a pen tablet can help bring out the true potential in your images. Whether you make the most subtle changes to your photos, or combine multiple images to create a stylized look, a pen tablet can give you a level of control that no other method can. Selectively apply adjustments, filters and effects with precision and control. Remove unwanted elements and retouch like a pro!

https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/448145334
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

PicaPica

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 05:01:01 PM »
i use a wacom for photoshop.

the touch feature is pretty useless for me, but once you get the hang on you don´t want to go back using a mouse.

thought it can take a few hours until you notice how much better a pen is.
it takes some time to get used to it.

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 02:38:13 AM »
A rep from Wacom is giving a webinar on Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM PDT.

Join Wes Maggio, Sr. Evangelist for Creative Products with Wacom for this fun and informative webinar as he demonstrates why a tablet is a critical element in a photographer’s workflow. An avid shooter and all around tablet guru, Wes will show you how a pen tablet can help bring out the true potential in your images. Whether you make the most subtle changes to your photos, or combine multiple images to create a stylized look, a pen tablet can give you a level of control that no other method can. Selectively apply adjustments, filters and effects with precision and control. Remove unwanted elements and retouch like a pro!

Oh, thanks!!
That is a great tip. I just signed up for this webinar

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 02:38:13 AM »

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 02:40:33 AM »
i use a wacom for photoshop.

the touch feature is pretty useless for me, but once you get the hang on you don´t want to go back using a mouse.

thought it can take a few hours until you notice how much better a pen is.
it takes some time to get used to it.
I guess that is how it is...like with photography, driving a car....experience makes you able to control it better and better. I wil start with the webinar

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 04:16:13 AM »

Thanks a lot for the link!
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 04:11:50 PM »
I use the Wacom pen in my left hand and my mouse in my right hand for photoshop.  I do not find the pen to be very useful as a mouse replacement, but its great for drawing and brushing precisely.

EricFiskCGD

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • How many lenses are enough? One More!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 04:30:23 PM »
I used to say that if you're a graphic designer or digital artist that doesn't use a Wacom Tablet then you're not a real graphic designer or digital artist. I've changed my tune over the past couple of months because some people  either swear by them or swear at them.

But I still believe that if you don't have one or at least tried one than you're missing out.

Using a pen or pencil is natural, you've been doing it even before pre-school. Your hand is not designed to use a mouse, it's counter intuitive to hundreds of years of evolution. Using a mouse is like putting a pen or paintbrush into a bar of soap and using it like a handle.

My advice is get rid of your mouse and just use the tablet and pen for two months exclusively. After those two months I bet you won't go back.
EOS Rebel T3i
EF-S 18-55mm
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 12:47:02 AM »
I used to say that if you're a graphic designer or digital artist that doesn't use a Wacom Tablet then you're not a real graphic designer or digital artist. I've changed my tune over the past couple of months because some people  either swear by them or swear at them.

But I still believe that if you don't have one or at least tried one than you're missing out.

Using a pen or pencil is natural, you've been doing it even before pre-school. Your hand is not designed to use a mouse, it's counter intuitive to hundreds of years of evolution. Using a mouse is like putting a pen or paintbrush into a bar of soap and using it like a handle.

I tried that already, a mouse just works.  That's why they sell billions of them.  The pen is good for some things, but not all.  I now am trying a Logitech touch pad.  Technically, it works fine, but my fine motor skills in my fingers just do not give me precise control.  I'd say that 2 years would be required for me to relearn what 25+ years of using a mouse has done.

My advice is get rid of your mouse and just use the tablet and pen for two months exclusively. After those two months I bet you won't go back.

climber

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 03:57:01 AM »
Are you using those tablets also for everything else beside retouching? Like web surfing and browsing on the copmputer.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 03:57:01 AM »

fatmanmedi

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 07:33:20 AM »
i've owned Wacom graphic tablets over the years at the moment i own the Cintiq 24HD touch, I would never go back to using a mouse to edit images as it feels like going back to the ice age in terms of ease of use.

I use it in PS and Illustrator mainly but in other apps as and when i need,  it's ok for web browsing but a mouse is better for that.  The other problem is that it's hard to travel with as it's huge and heavy it has a large counterweight to keep it stable on the desk, so it's no use if you need to edit in the field.

To use a version of a famous phase, once you go graphic tablet, you never go back.

fats

EricFiskCGD

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • How many lenses are enough? One More!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 08:37:34 AM »
Are you using those tablets also for everything else beside retouching? Like web surfing and browsing on the copmputer.

When I say I use it for everything - I really mean it. I'm using it right now to browse the web and manage open tabs.
EOS Rebel T3i
EF-S 18-55mm
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 08:37:34 AM »