February 25, 2018, 09:11:22 AM

Author Topic: Magic Lantern Now Works With Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.3  (Read 53222 times)

cayenne

• EOS-1D X Mark II
Re: Magic Lantern Now Works With Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.3
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2014, 03:45:33 PM »
I'm really thinking about trying this.

Is there now a better, straightforward, one stop to find it…guide to installing Magic Lantern on a 5D3?

Last time I started looking into it, I found out of date guides, wrong versions….and read through about 300 posts on the forums and I still didn't really feel safe in trying to install this.

So, does anyone have links to a simple at least fairly up to date install guide with steps laid out 1,2,3,4…n?

Last time I was reading through, I thought about disarming a bomb with instructions like.

"Ok, now…find and cut the green wire…"

BUT FIRST……

:D

C

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2014, 03:45:33 PM »

East Wind Photography

• EOS 5DS R
  • EWP
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2014, 09:51:45 PM »

Is there now a better, straightforward, one stop to find it…guide to installing Magic Lantern on a 5D3?

Last time I started looking into it, I found out of date guides, wrong versions….and read through about 300 posts on the forums and I still didn't really feel safe in trying to install this.

So, does anyone have links to a simple at least fairly up to date install guide with steps laid out 1,2,3,4…n?

Last time I was reading through, I thought about disarming a bomb with instructions like.

BUT FIRST……

C

It was pretty.straight forward now that the boot flag issue has been resolved.

1) set camera back to factory defaults
2) remove battery grip if installed.
3) format SD or CF card in camera
4) remove card and install in computer
5) download ML for 5diii and unzip all files into the root folder of card including the .fir file. (maintain same folder structure as supplied in the zip file)
6) insert card back into camera and install the firmware using the Canon firmware update menu option.
7) when prompted power off camera and power back on

Viola!

I haven't tried it yet but to permanently uninstall and revert the boot flag back to original just reformat the card with the uninstall ML option.

Im getting ready to upgrade to the latest ML version so ill give the uninstall option a try before i upgrade...though technically not necessary.  But im curious how seemless the uninstall is and wether or not it gives me back the improved wake up speed.

ejenner

• EOS M5
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2014, 12:55:31 AM »

BUT FIRST……

C

It's really not that bad, even before.  It's just that some people seem to find ways of doing stupid things.  But even then they just aggravate themselves rather than cause permanent damage.  Actually you can have things 'go wrong' and still recover - the ML crew just like to play it safe just in case.

The only thing you absolutely must not do is switch off the camera in the middle of a firmware update.

If it finishes, but for whatever reason doesn't seem to do what you expect, or you delete files you're not supposed to, or you try to put a 7D formatted ML card in a 5DIII etc.. you can recover - although you might get a heart attack when your 5DIII doesn't turn on (as I found out putting a 7D card in it).

climber

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2014, 04:04:30 AM »
To which card do you download those files - CF, SD or it doesn't matter?  What happens if ML is on SD card and you shot pictures only on CF card? And then, if want to remove ML just take out SD card. Does it work like that?

East Wind Photography

• EOS 5DS R
  • EWP
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2014, 09:16:02 AM »
To which card do you download those files - CF, SD or it doesn't matter?  What happens if ML is on SD card and you shot pictures only on CF card? And then, if want to remove ML just take out SD card. Does it work like that?

You can put it on either card but i prefer to put it on my sd card and shoot with CF as primary.  You can remove the sd card and camera will operate in normal canon mode...but with a slight delay when waking from sleep.

East Wind Photography

• EOS 5DS R
  • EWP
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2014, 01:29:10 PM »

BUT FIRST……

C

5) download ML for 5diii and unzip all files into the root folder of card including the .fir file. (maintain same folder structure as supplied in the zip file)
6) insert card back into camera and install the firmware using the Canon firmware update menu option.

Viola!

I haven't tried it yet but to permanently uninstall and revert the boot flag back to original just reformat the card with the uninstall ML option.

Im getting ready to upgrade to the latest ML version so ill give the uninstall option a try before i upgrade...though technically not necessary.  But im curious how seemless the uninstall is and wether or not it gives me back the improved wake up speed.

A minor correction to the uninstall process.  To uninstall you need to do the firmware install again, not a format.  However in very fine print at the bottom during the firmware install you will see a countdown timer to uninstall.  Takes about 30 seconds and then ML is gone from the system and boot flag gets disabled.

I can confirm NOW that uninstalling with bootflag disable does in fact remove the start up delay coming out of sleep.  Essentially the 5D3 is now back to factory specs.

This hopefully will provide some with nerve to try it knowing they can get back to factory specs if they choose to do so.

For me, I've downloaded the latest nightly build and getting ready to pop it back in again.

Will also be installing on my 7D and EOS-M today.  They finally got the .fir file back into the nightly build for the M.

cayenne

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2014, 01:57:35 PM »

BUT FIRST……

C

Viola!

Thanks..is there a good URL for the official steps..what files to get, etc for the 5D3.

I'd just like to have the 'official" steps so that if something did come up, I could post to the forums and say "I did steps #4 and things went bad"….

Thanks,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2014, 01:57:35 PM »

East Wind Photography

• EOS 5DS R
  • EWP
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2014, 05:05:01 PM »

BUT FIRST……

C

Viola!

Thanks..is there a good URL for the official steps..what files to get, etc for the 5D3.

I'd just like to have the 'official" steps so that if something did come up, I could post to the forums and say "I did steps #4 and things went bad"….

Thanks,

cayenne

Here is the official download site

http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

You will need to go to nightly builds and download the zip file.  Everything you need is there.

Unfortunately the official docs are for the released version and while the steps are similar, they are not exactly the same.  You might find a readme file in the zip but not sure the uninstall steps have been updated anywhere but in the ml forums.

Just note the countdown timer at the bottom when firmware is updating.  The countdown timer after 30 seconds will uninstall it completely.

Here is about the closest thing you can find to official docs.  Forum post by the developer:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11017.0

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 05:44:21 PM by East Wind Photography »

lintoni

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Good grief!
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2014, 12:09:27 PM »
Like cayenne, I've been umming and ahing about Magic Lantern... finally took the plunge on ny 5d3 following the instructions above. Simple! Then once installed, you switch on live view, then press the delete button to bring up the ML menu and select which modules you want to activate.

I'm looking at trying some nightscapes and maybe star trails, so the programmable bulb timer and intervalometer will be invaluable. :)
EOS 5D III, EOS 5, EOS 30, EF17-40L, EF24-105L, EF100-400L, EF100 f/2.8 macro, Samyang 14 f/2.8, Ʃ50 f/1.4 Art, 550EX, Magic Lantern

cayenne

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2014, 01:51:06 PM »
Like cayenne, I've been umming and ahing about Magic Lantern... finally took the plunge on ny 5d3 following the instructions above. Simple! Then once installed, you switch on live view, then press the delete button to bring up the ML menu and select which modules you want to activate.

I'm looking at trying some nightscapes and maybe star trails, so the programmable bulb timer and intervalometer will be invaluable. :)

WOW…too cool!!

I"m contemplating this myself for my 5D3 over the holiday weekend.

PLEASE…post back your experiences and thoughts on your new ML install and using it!!!

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

lintoni

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • Good grief!
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2014, 02:50:27 PM »
Okay, as I said, I followed the instructions above...

Well, I've had a little play with the programmable bulb and intervalometer and I'm impressed... it all works as you'd want it to, so that's some very useful functionality added to the camera.

Unless you access the ML menu, then it behaves exactly the same as you'd expect a 5d3 to - apart from it takes slightly longer to wake up when switched on. All menus, etc are the ones Canon put on the body when you bought it/updated the firmware.

This confused me at first - I was pressing buttons on the back of the body looking for the Magic Lantern menus!  ;D

A quick google later, I find you have to put it in live view mode, then press the delete button to access the Magic Lantern menus. You're presented with a list of modules, all of which are deactivated.. scroll through them with the rear control wheel and use the set button to activate the ones you want (I haven't bothered with the video ones, or the game  ;) ). Switch it off, then back on and the modules you've activated are working. Access the ML menus, and then set up the features you want.  You'll be using the control dials, the Set button and the Quick Control button to set the values and it seems straightforward and intuitive enough once you know which controls to use - as I said, I've only played with the programmable bulb and intervalometer, but they're the main things I'm interested in.
EOS 5D III, EOS 5, EOS 30, EF17-40L, EF24-105L, EF100-400L, EF100 f/2.8 macro, Samyang 14 f/2.8, Ʃ50 f/1.4 Art, 550EX, Magic Lantern

climber

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2014, 03:58:10 PM »
Does ML affect to battery duration?

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2014, 04:23:19 AM »
Does ML affect to battery duration?

In idle state very slightly - but nothing to write home about. What does need a lot of battery power are some ML features like live view overlays (zebras, focus peaking), but you don't need to enable these (or use lv) if you're short on battery power.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2014, 04:23:19 AM »

drjlo

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2014, 09:16:18 PM »

I find you have to put it in live view mode, then press the delete button to access the Magic Lantern menus. You're presented with a list of modules, all of which are deactivated.. scroll through them with the rear control wheel and use the set button to activate the ones you want (I haven't bothered with the video ones, or the game  ;) ). Switch it off, then back on and the modules you've activated are working. Access the ML menus, and then set up the features you want.  You'll be using the control dials, the Set button and the Quick Control button to set the values and it seems straightforward and intuitive enough once you know which controls to use

This paragraph should be placed in Magic Lantern's website because that's exactly what confused me the first time I installed ML.  I'm sure it's not just us !

K-amps

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2014, 08:47:59 AM »
You guys are awesome..... Like Cayenne, I too wanted a easy install guide (preferably with screenshots and sugar on top).  Eastwind's is a great start... makes me almost consider doing it.

Do you guys know if ML does Focus bracketing (very helpful for Macro for example).
EOS-80D & Pentax K1
EF Mount Rok 14mm F2.8; ∑ 24-105mm F4 A; 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; 100-400mm L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; 100mm L F/2.8
Pentax D-FA 15-30 F2.8 & 28-105mm

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2014, 08:47:59 AM »