July 24, 2014, 09:35:38 AM

Author Topic: Magic Lantern Now Works With Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.3  (Read 12229 times)

Niki

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Lantern Now Works With Canon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.3
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2014, 07:14:59 AM »
What is the potential risk with ML anyway? I believe I've read something about frying your sensor (!) when using Dual-ISO. Is that a big risk and if so, why?
No risk. ML runs on your memory card, the moment you replace the memory card, there is no ML ... use it without fear.

should I use the new version or the old (they say it's better for video)??

just tried the 123 ML…info and help sections seem to be missing…I just loaded the nightly build...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:42:45 AM by Niki »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2014, 07:14:59 AM »

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2014, 08:17:20 AM »
If you dont want to use dot tune can you still input Focal calibrated AFMA values into a ML enabled 5D3?

Yes you can.  In fact you can still enter all of the original canon menus and make settings there includinf afma values.

Dot tune is not perfect but its quick and will get you in the ball park.  Manual afma is still the best way using a focus target like lenscal or spydercal.  Anything else in the field requires too much set up and time and still is not very accurate imho.

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2014, 10:09:48 AM »
Try uninstalling back to factory.  Reset defaults and try again.

So, on your ML install, you DO get the automatic image display after you take the photo? 
Where in the menu is the factory reset button? 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 09:43:18 PM by drjlo »

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2014, 10:44:26 PM »
Try uninstalling back to factory.  Reset defaults and try again.

So, on your ML install, you DO get the automatic image display after you take the photo? 
Where in the menu is the factory reset button?

Yes i not only get the preview, i get the zebras and red dots on in focus edges.

I dont recall where the option is...ill have to look for it.  Its near the section for updating firmware.

I would uninstall ML first then do the reset.  Remove the battery grip if you have one and get the camera back to its original state.  Then install ML.  You can then add grip and make your other canon settings again.

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2014, 12:06:59 AM »
I would uninstall ML first then do the reset. 

Something must have gone wrong with my ML install.  ML website says to uninstall ML from firmware update in menu, but when I try to uninstall ML by going to Wrench menu=> "firmware version"=> then I get the message "Memory card containing firmware is required to update" even though the memory card with ML files is still inside the camera.

I don't get the "instructions" ML website says should show up.  What am I missing?  Should I just go to "Format card" and choose "Format card. remove ML" option?  If I do that, my understanding is the bootflag in camera body is still not deleted.

*Edit*
I formatted the card, set the camera to factory reset ("Clear Camera Settings"), then reinstalled ML, and this fixed my auto image preview problem and the ML uninstall option shows up in "firmware update."  I was also happy to see clearing camera settings did not erase my C1-C3 custom settings or AFMA values.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:05:38 AM by drjlo »

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2014, 07:17:34 AM »
I would uninstall ML first then do the reset. 

Something must have gone wrong with my ML install.  ML website says to uninstall ML from firmware update in menu, but when I try to uninstall ML by going to Wrench menu=> "firmware version"=> then I get the message "Memory card containing firmware is required to update" even though the memory card with ML files is still inside the camera.

I don't get the "instructions" ML website says should show up.  What am I missing?  Should I just go to "Format card" and choose "Format card. remove ML" option?  If I do that, my understanding is the bootflag in camera body is still not deleted.

*Edit*
I formatted the card, set the camera to factory reset ("Clear Camera Settings"), then reinstalled ML, and this fixed my auto image preview problem and the ML uninstall option shows up in "firmware update."  I was also happy to see clearing camera settings did not erase my C1-C3 custom settings or AFMA values.

Excellent!  The only issue i can find that is still really annoying is a slight delay to wake the camera up from sleep.  Not normally a huge issue but when you are shooting fast action it could cause younto miss a shot.  For all other purposes the delay has no impact.

Ill be watching to see if this is resolved in future updates.  Otherwise ML is now a permanent system component on my 5diii.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2014, 09:13:28 AM »
The only issue i can find that is still really annoying is a slight delay to wake the camera up from sleep.

This cannot be changed as ML is in fact (mis)using Canon's own firmware development hook to load an additional fw from card, and the Canon lab boys don't seem to be that concerned about startup time when working from their desks :-p

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2014, 09:13:28 AM »

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2014, 11:33:36 AM »
The only issue i can find that is still really annoying is a slight delay to wake the camera up from sleep.

This cannot be changed as ML is in fact (mis)using Canon's own firmware development hook to load an additional fw from card, and the Canon lab boys don't seem to be that concerned about startup time when working from their desks :-p

Well that's disappointing. I'll need to figure a quick means to disable. Maybe swapping cards will do it. My bald eagles won't wait for ML to load. ;)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2014, 12:28:16 PM »
Well that's disappointing. I'll need to figure a quick means to disable.

Don't let me detain you from also posting this issue in the ML forum and on their bug tracker, if there's enough request the devs might have (another) look at it and probably find a way around it, you never know:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues?status=new&status=open

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2014, 04:21:27 PM »
Well that's disappointing. I'll need to figure a quick means to disable.

Don't let me detain you from also posting this issue in the ML forum and on their bug tracker, if there's enough request the devs might have (another) look at it and probably find a way around it, you never know:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues?status=new&status=open

I would even pay $$$ to get this fixed!  ;)

I discovered that if I put ML on the SD card (and always use my CF card as primary), I can just pull out the SD card to go back to canon default...and confirmed no delay on coming out of sleep.

So now when I'm in action mode I can quickly pull ML out and replace when I'm done.  Not ideal but certainly doable in the interim.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2014, 10:58:56 AM »
Just installed on 1.2.3.  So far works perfectly.  Little complaints from me other than the slow start up time after sleep.

Messin around with Dual ISO now.

Does the slow start up time after sleep go away after you remove the ML from the camera?

I'd heard that was a problem with the former version on the 5D3….that it set the boot flag perm. and long sleep times wouldn't go away even when ML was removed.

I know on this they say the boot flag situation is fixed, but wondering if sleep/boot times return to normal once you remove ML?

Thanks in advance,
cayenne

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2014, 08:21:39 PM »
Just installed on 1.2.3.  So far works perfectly.  Little complaints from me other than the slow start up time after sleep.

Messin around with Dual ISO now.

Does the slow start up time after sleep go away after you remove the ML from the camera?

I'd heard that was a problem with the former version on the 5D3….that it set the boot flag perm. and long sleep times wouldn't go away even when ML was removed.

I know on this they say the boot flag situation is fixed, but wondering if sleep/boot times return to normal once you remove ML?

Thanks in advance,
cayenne

So i tried this the other day.  I pulled out the SD card where i had ml installed and just used my cf card and the delay was gone.  I didnt try putting in an empty sd card.  Ill try that this weekend.

BumpyMunky

• Power Shot G16
  • I wonder what this button does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2014, 03:17:08 AM »

Thanks in advance,
cayenne

My experience and testing with magiclantern-Nightly.2014Mar17.5D3123 (boot from the SD card, but images to the CF) showed about an extra second on cold startup (2.1 sec vs 1.2 sec) and about the same from an auto poweroff wake up.  For testing, I had AF and IS off, Manual, 1/500 shutter and pointing and prefocused at a timer.  Powered off the camera, held the shutter button and started the timer at the same time as turning on the camera.  Pretty acceptable in my book.   Most of the time, that's way faster than I am.  Hitting a button as I bring the camera up and it's ready by the time I'm looking through it.  The delay goes away if I pulled the SD card.    Prior to that version I was using the alpha3 and just booting it manually that took 5-10 seconds with the button pushing.  A bit of a pain, but workable.  Having it auto-boot now is just great!

Also, testing it with a non-ML SD card was the same as a pulled card -- no delay.  I expected this to hang the camera, but maybe that's only if the card was marked 'bootable' and non-ML that does that.

So far I'm pretty impressed by this version.  There are some rough edges which I get since it's listed as 'bleeding edge', but even for that, it seems pretty workable.   Not going crazy with the settings yet, but I'm comfortable with it shooting gigs.  The HDMI mirroring and external monitor support (from both 1.2.3 and ML) is such an improvement over alpha3!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2014, 03:17:08 AM »

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2014, 09:35:35 AM »

Thanks in advance,
cayenne

My experience and testing with magiclantern-Nightly.2014Mar17.5D3123 (boot from the SD card, but images to the CF) showed about an extra second on cold startup (2.1 sec vs 1.2 sec) and about the same from an auto poweroff wake up.  For testing, I had AF and IS off, Manual, 1/500 shutter and pointing and prefocused at a timer.  Powered off the camera, held the shutter button and started the timer at the same time as turning on the camera.  Pretty acceptable in my book.   Most of the time, that's way faster than I am.  Hitting a button as I bring the camera up and it's ready by the time I'm looking through it.  The delay goes away if I pulled the SD card.    Prior to that version I was using the alpha3 and just booting it manually that took 5-10 seconds with the button pushing.  A bit of a pain, but workable.  Having it auto-boot now is just great!

Also, testing it with a non-ML SD card was the same as a pulled card -- no delay.  I expected this to hang the camera, but maybe that's only if the card was marked 'bootable' and non-ML that does that.

So far I'm pretty impressed by this version.  There are some rough edges which I get since it's listed as 'bleeding edge', but even for that, it seems pretty workable.   Not going crazy with the settings yet, but I'm comfortable with it shooting gigs.  The HDMI mirroring and external monitor support (from both 1.2.3 and ML) is such an improvement over alpha3!

Yeah i went back and did some analysis and yes the boot flag switch does introduce some startup delay even when ML is removed from the card slot.  So if that is important to you then you might want to reconsider ML.  Not sure how healthy it is to keep installing and uninstalling with boot flag toggle.

ronl

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2014, 10:47:27 AM »
Hi East Wind:

Thanks for the info.  Do you know when Boot flag is disabled, is there any delay on power up or wake up?

Thanks,

Ron

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2014, 10:47:27 AM »