July 30, 2014, 03:19:54 PM

Author Topic: 1DX Won't Power On  (Read 3263 times)

Nazareth

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
1DX Won't Power On
« on: March 17, 2014, 05:57:56 PM »
First the defective mirror box assembly, then We had to send our new cameras in for the 'fix' which was nothing ore than a Band-Aid via lubrication- now camera won't even power on, and apparently it has to do with their 'fix', either that or the 1DX is prone ot power problems right from the get go-

Lemon Law?

Photographyonthenet site has a thread called "1DX will not turn on... unless..." in which several 1DX owners are having the same issue as I'm having- mainly that our cameras have stopped working- stopped powering on after we've sent our cameras in for their 'mirror box assembly lubrication fix'.

Now my camera is 2 months out of warranty, the stinking camera has stopped working completely- I've tried removing and reseating the battery, tried another battery, reseating several times- nothing!

Now I have to spend even more money just to get my $7000 1 year old camera to work? Swell-

Any other 1DX owners noticing any power issues? My camera began by mysteriously shutting off when reviewing photos in the LCD- I'd scroll to a photo, look at it, and like 4 or so seconds later, the camera would just turn off (without actually turning off the power switch-) nothing would work- I'd have to reach down and physically turn off the power switch, and turn it back on again- and the camera would work for awhile- a few days or so, then it would happen again-

Well today, the camera completely quit working. I got it to work one more time by reseating the battery, but it took one more photo- then it crapped the bad completely and won't turn on no matter what now-

This post is kind of a rant, but it's also a heads-up to other Canon !DX owners who have sent their cameras in for 'the fix' for the product service announcement back awhile ago regarding the mirror box assembly- Not saying your camera will die like ours did, but if you begin noticing weird power issues like I described, it could be an indication that your camera is going to die in near future and need to be sent in for expensive repairs-

canon rumors FORUM

1DX Won't Power On
« on: March 17, 2014, 05:57:56 PM »

Lightmaster

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: 1DX Won't Power On
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 06:54:53 PM »
or the 1DX is prone ot power problems right from the get go

i would not say it is prone.... otherwise we would have heard more about it i think.

Tugela

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 07:24:13 PM »
What does this have to do with EOS body rumours?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:07:01 PM »
No problems, either before or now several months after the fix.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 08:26:15 PM »
First the defective mirror box assembly, then We had to send our new cameras in for the 'fix' which was nothing ore than a Band-Aid via lubrication- now camera won't even power on, and apparently it has to do with their 'fix', either that or the 1DX is prone ot power problems right from the get go-

What did Canon say when you spoke to them?

I have not had any problems, and the "fix" issue seems like a very long time ago now. How long has it been since you sent your camera in for the fix and now?

Are you using original batteries?

Anyway, hope you get it sorted out. Best to call Canon.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 10:28:32 PM »
I had "the fix" done many months ago...no problems.

Call Canon and explain to them the problems you are having...do so in a calm, persistent, and straightforward fashion....then check back here and report once again.

Good luck to you.

Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

Nazareth

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 10:57:25 PM »
First off- sorry for posting this in wrong forum- I messed up-

Lightmaster- You're right- I was too vague- should have said "It Seems that some canon 1DX's are prone to the problem' which may be somehow related to the product advisory 'fix' as it seems those with the power problem have expre3ienced the problem after sending their camera in for the product recall fix- (although that could be just coincidental, but it might be related to the 'fix')

Neuro- I just posted this as a Heads up as it is clear that some folks, along with myself- have experienced this issue- not that it's common, or that it will definitely happen, but just to give folks a heads up if they start to notice weird things like back display shutting off for no reason, and having to turn camera off then on again to get it to work again- as this could be an indication that trouble is on the way and camera might suddenly crap out on the photographer-

Expat- Waiting on response from Canon- I've emailed them about 8 hours ago- might receive answer tomorrow- but my camera is out of warranty, so I'm sure they are going to want to charge for the fix- they tried charging me for the time I sent it in under warranty for the product advisory notice for them mirror box- had to really fight with them to get it fixed under the warranty because I hadn't registered the camera with their site after purchasing it and where I bought it they didn't have the 'right' sort of proof (amazon.com- Yes, I know, big mistake)-

It has been 4 months since they did the product advisory fix for the mirror box lubrication- the sensor was nice and clean for about 3 months, then the typical spots began showing up again all over the sensor making shots with sky in them a nightmare to 'fix' via spot removal-

Yes, using same batteries- both are fully charged- but nothing happens when I turn camera on- no life in the camera at all

Thanks Northstar- wrote them an email explaining the issue- was civil- but firm about the issues I've had ever since the beginning- waiting on a response now-
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:59:57 PM by Nazareth »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 10:57:25 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 11:37:49 PM »
...they tried charging me for the time I sent it in under warranty for the product advisory notice for them mirror box- had to really fight with them to get it fixed under the warranty because I hadn't registered the camera with their site after purchasing it and where I bought it they didn't have the 'right' sort of proof (amazon.com- Yes, I know, big mistake)

That certainly shouldn't have happened. When a Product Advisory is issued (as for the 1D X lubrication fix), the service is performed free, period.  If I purchased a used 24-105L which was affected by the 'rays of light flare' issue based on date code (made before 10/2005), I could send it in tomorrow and it would be fixed for free.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 11:54:40 PM »
It has been 4 months since they did the product advisory fix for the mirror box lubrication- the sensor was nice and clean for about 3 months, then the typical spots began showing up again all over the sensor making shots with sky in them a nightmare to 'fix' via spot removal-

Yes, using same batteries- both are fully charged- but nothing happens when I turn camera on- no life in the camera at all.

And the two batteries are originals from Canon? Have you calibrated them?

Does sound very unusual. Did you buy the camera new, second hand? Grey market?
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Nazareth

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 12:55:06 AM »
...they tried charging me for the time I sent it in under warranty for the product advisory notice for them mirror box- had to really fight with them to get it fixed under the warranty because I hadn't registered the camera with their site after purchasing it and where I bought it they didn't have the 'right' sort of proof (amazon.com- Yes, I know, big mistake)

That certainly shouldn't have happened. When a Product Advisory is issued (as for the 1D X lubrication fix), the service is performed free, period.  If I purchased a used 24-105L which was affected by the 'rays of light flare' issue based on date code (made before 10/2005), I could send it in tomorrow and it would be fixed for free.

That's what I woudkl have thought- but it was not a very pleasant experience- first, they had my camera for more than a week without telling me by phone or email that they were holding it until I 'authorized payment' - I just assumed they were fixing the camera and sending it back- I finally called them and lo and behold they hadn't even begun the fix on it yet because I hadn't 'authorized' the payment for it- I finally got it straightened out that it was still under warranty- but like you said- I shouldn't have even had to do that except that one of the issues I was having with the camera was the portrait mode scroll wheel never worked right and that was what they were holding off on because I didn't have the 'right' kind of proof  of purchase (it had to be a copy of oringianl receipt, and not a 'summary statement of purchase' like Amazon now issues- I dunno- it was confusing- but finally a woman called from canon and said they were beginning the process and I could just send them the summary statement from Amazon= They did the lubrication, but didn't clean the sensor (which I specifically asked to be cleaned because of the recall issue causing the filthy sensor from the bits of plastic from the mirror box assembly wearing off and landing on sensor I guess- Had to send it back in again to get it cleaned- they did an ok job, but it's now looking as bad as it did before the service

Nazareth

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 12:58:39 AM »
Hi Expat- Yes, canon batteries-

I bought the camera brand new - and no- supposedly it wasn't grey market- Amazon I guess has to list whether it is grey market or not, and there was no grey market label on the camera

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 07:28:55 AM »
Just a thought, have you checked or changed the small 'button' sized battery too? The one that stores the camera settings and such...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 07:33:08 AM »

...except that one of the issues I was having with the camera was the portrait mode scroll wheel never worked right and that was what they were holding off on because I didn't have the 'right' kind of proof  of purchase (it had to be a copy of oringianl receipt...

So...you 'had to really fight with them to get it fixed under warranty' for an issue completely unrelated to the product advisory (as opposed to what you initially stated), after not providing them with appropriate proof of purchase when requesting a service under warranty.  Gotcha, and good luck.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 07:33:08 AM »

Nazareth

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 12:03:09 PM »
no what I said was the camera was under warranty, and I was told to send it in, and still they were going to charge me- Why? because, WITHOUT TELLING ME That I needed it, I didn't have the 'correct proof of purchase' thanks to Amazon's online billing process which doesn't keep the original bill of sale, but rather just a summary of purchase- like I said it was confusing, and not a very pleasant process- Had you bothered to read my posts carefully you would have seen that they held my camera for a week NEVER informing me that they were holding it because I was supposed to authorize payment- unbeknownst to me- they NEVER informed me through email ,phone, or mail- ALL three of which they had info to contact me- And- Had you bothered to read carefully you would have seen that I stated that there was never a request for the info in the first place Neuro- I was speaking with a rep through email, and NEVER got such a request- NOT did the place it was sent ot request the info- UNTIL I finally called to see what the heck was going on with my camera! They never even sent me a tracking number so that I could check up on the progress of the camera Neuro but thank you for the sarcastic response- such a pleasure speaking with you sometimes! Must be nice being as perfect a person as you are- gee-

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »
no what I said was the camera was under warranty, and I was told to send it in, and still they were going to charge me- Why? because, WITHOUT TELLING ME That I needed it, I didn't have the 'correct proof of purchase' thanks to Amazon's online billing process which doesn't keep the original bill of sale, but rather just a summary of purchase- like I said it was confusing, and not a very pleasant process- Had you bothered to read my posts carefully you would have seen that they held my camera for a week NEVER informing me that they were holding it because I was supposed to authorize payment- unbeknownst to me- they NEVER informed me through email ,phone, or mail- ALL three of which they had info to contact me- And- Had you bothered to read carefully you would have seen that I stated that there was never a request for the info in the first place Neuro- I was speaking with a rep through email, and NEVER got such a request- NOT did the place it was sent ot request the info- UNTIL I finally called to see what the heck was going on with my camera! They never even sent me a tracking number so that I could check up on the progress of the camera Neuro but thank you for the sarcastic response- such a pleasure speaking with you sometimes! Must be nice being as perfect a person as you are- gee-

Apologies - you definitely shouldn't have had to wait a week in limbo before they told you they needed 'real' proof of purchase.  But, what I stated stands…your original post on the subject was:

Expat- Waiting on response from Canon- I've emailed them about 8 hours ago- might receive answer tomorrow- but my camera is out of warranty, so I'm sure they are going to want to charge for the fix- they tried charging me for the time I sent it in under warranty for the product advisory notice for them mirror box- had to really fight with them to get it fixed under the warranty because I hadn't registered the camera with their site after purchasing it and where I bought it they didn't have the 'right' sort of proof (amazon.com- Yes, I know, big mistake)-

You mention nothing about needing anything other than the service for the recall, and it's very misleading to say you had to 'fight to get that done under warranty'.  When I brought mine to the Jamesburg, NJ service center, I had a copy of my invoice from B&H with me, and when I offered to pull it our, they said no need becuase proof of purchase was neither required nor even helpful for the product advisory service, only their examination of the camera to confirm that the serial number fell within the affected range.  FWIW, when it comes to warranty service only proper documentation of proof of purchase matters, registering the product with Canon (via warranty card or online) doesn't constitute proof of purchase and won't get you service if you don't have that proof.

Only subsequently did you state that you were also having a different issue, one that actually required proof of purchase for a warranty-covered repair.  If you want to rant about something, that's fine.  But either properly disclose the facts about which you are ranting, or own up when called on implying a problem that didn't exist.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »