September 30, 2014, 06:49:53 AM

Author Topic: Dan Chung Talks EOS-1D X Video  (Read 7798 times)

Flake

Re: Dan Chung Talks EOS-1D X Video
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 03:44:07 AM »
They're not mindless regulations, just because you don't understand the history of where regulations come from does not make them mindless.  Back in the day certain countries desided to flood Europe with cheap product, partly to destroy competition, when agreement couldn't be reached the EU protected industry & jobs by imposing high import duty which continues to this day.  It is this policy which has led to numerous far Eastern companied setting up European manufacturing bases creating millions of jobs.  You might not understand it - but it certainly isn't mindless regulation.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 03:44:07 AM »

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 03:45:14 AM »
Well, the peanuts have sqeaked already.

I've taken courses on the EU, Flake ::)

First, you should understand that a great deal of legislation comes from the faceless European Commission, as I'm almost certain this would have.  Sometimes you can figure out what they're after; sometimes you can't.  The gap between EC members and "constituents" nearly makes the U.S. Electoral College seem like direct democracy in action, as well; there's essentially no way to make the EC accountable to the voting publics.

I'll readily admit that the number of times I've looked into this particular tax, I've still not found anything hinting at the intent of the law (guess I need to hit up Europa to see if I can find it.)  It's quite possible it was just another of the endless

I'm sure I could lecture you on trade wars - I would like to assume this is primarily a tax issue, not a competition issue.

Yet if it were about competition:

One, what business does the EU have provoking a trade war?  On whose behalf?  Philips?
Two, if you think this actually benefits EU consumers, you're even farther out to sea than I could have considered.  All this tax does for consumers is force them to pay an extra 5% for capable product; globally, we see that it is directly stunting the DSLR video movement.

The only reason I can think of that the large companies (Canon for example) don't complain loudly is that they have a vested interest in keeping their actual camcorder sales at appropriate levels - this is an artificial barrier to product entry in the markets targeted by pro video products.

All things considered, the sub-30 minute video limit is essentially inconsequential for use.  It is, however, a great example of the nasty outlook that gains traction from time to time within the EU (yes, this isn't the only area I know of where there are arbitrary and provincial squabbles over the marketing of items, as the "cohesiveness" of the EU body leads politicians to make decrees or fold over compromises that really should be much more broadly debated, at the very least).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 04:01:08 AM by Edwin Herdman »

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 11:45:42 AM »
video video video...  >:(
i want to take photos. enough with the whole video stuff
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

DuLt

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 12:03:14 PM »

At this point.. .forget that wish.

ianhar

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 12:04:47 PM »

Second it.

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 12:09:42 PM »
The problem is we don't know what the boffins in their white coats have been cooking up in the labs.

If you watch the video the rep mentions a few times that the 1DX is a PRO Photography DSLR camera, the video was extra.
He makes that point clear a few times.
This is why it sounds to me like they are going to try and release a PRO Video DSLR e.g. the next 5D model being that its been accepted unofficially by the industry as being the video DSLR of choice already.

You mention line skipping but as they said in the video that it has been reduced dramatically with the new sensor, remember that this is the Photo DSLR, it then makes me wonder what the Video version could achieve.

I think the line skipping has been reduced(certainly in the 1Dx) because of better/more processors. They cant give a 5D this type of fire power in 4k or it will be essentially capable of faster fps of stills as the 1dX

You have a good point about the brand name of 5D for the video industry. Maybe we see a 5Dmkii-s that is video dedicated. However, I don't think that's in the lineup for nov 2.  I think  Canon needs to hit the Red scarlet from above and below in terms of pricing/features, and I think they will.

nikkito

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 12:17:48 PM »
i mean, this is a Photo Camera, and all i hear is about video and video.
And don't misunderstand me. I like that we can have video as well, but like the canon guy in the video says, it seems they actually don't know what they are doing and where to go next.

Like we all know a good photo is one with a strong subject and it seems to me we can make an analogy with this whole thing as well.

We are talking about the 1D X, then Canon should concentrate on photography. If we were interested in Video we would have bought a video camera instead.

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 12:17:48 PM »

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 01:24:55 PM »
And don't misunderstand me. I like that we can have video as well, but like the canon guy in the video says, it seems they actually don't know what they are doing and where to go next.

Like we all know a good photo is one with a strong subject and it seems to me we can make an analogy with this whole thing as well.

We are talking about the 1D X, then Canon should concentrate on photography. If we were interested in Video we would have bought a video camera instead.

I guess Canon has themselves in a bit of a pickle by putting video on a high end camera like this. It should be good, but at the same time, it's as if any resources dedicated to video on this camera are an insult to people who want the best possible pictures for the money.

bp

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 03:07:38 PM »

WHAT?!?!  Dan Chung, who is a video shooter, made a video about the 1D X, and all he talks about is video?  Whats going on?!?!?!?! 

Did you really expect him to dive deeply into the stills side of the camera?  ::)
5D3 - 5D2 - 7D - T2i   | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 24-105L | 70-200 IS II | Shorty Forty | 50 1.4 | Bower 14 | Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 | 2x III

nikkito

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 06:29:49 PM »

WHAT?!?!  Dan Chung, who is a video shooter, made a video about the 1D X, and all he talks about is video?  Whats going on?!?!?!?! 

Did you really expect him to dive deeply into the stills side of the camera?  ::)

I'm not talking about this video in particular. This one just made me write that because I can't take it anymore :(

SlothLovesChunk

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 06:37:10 PM »

+1
We can't expect more than incremental improvements in stills technology, but video tech is burgeoning.

Let's not forget we've been sort of scraping the ceiling on stills tech here for a long, long time...nobody really needs anything more than 12-15mp (we've had over 21 for years now). With RAW, we've got more DR than film. Not sure why everyone's looking for nightvision ISO in these cameras...if you want to shoot in moonlight, stop up to 1.4. AF is fine.
As far as stills go (and that's the majority of my work), I'm more than satisfied with my 5D and 7D. The video, however is nascent, and has a LOT of room for immediate improvement. That's why we're more concerned with this right now. The 5DII marked a legitimate revolution in filmmaking...giving us a cheap, fat sensor to put behind our amazing lenses. The stills revolution has long-since passed. Now it's just gonna be minor upgrades that we don't really need.

Only wanna shoot stills? Go grab one of the dozen or so professional-grade models that have already existed for a decade and shoot your heart out :)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 09:52:18 PM »
Not sure why everyone's looking for nightvision ISO in these cameras...if you want to shoot in moonlight, stop up to 1.4. AF is fine.

I was trying to shoot by firelight earlier this evening. 5DII, 35mm f/1.4L, AF was not fine - it managed maybe one lock in 10 tries. Contrast detect (Live View) was a little better, 3-4 locks in 10 tries. No where near enough light in the VF to focus (but I didn't have the Eg-S installed, that might have helped).  Exposure simulation in Live View was inadequate for MF.

I needed ISO 12800 or 25600 for shutter speeds that were barely adequate for almost still or slowly moving subjects, even at f/1.4.

If the extra 1.5 stops of low light AF performance on the 1D X (vs. 5DII) is real, and if the suggested 2-stop ISO improvement is real (i.e. ISO 12800 on the 1D X is similar to ISO 3200 on the 5DII), that would have been a big help tonight...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

astrocrab

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 12:38:19 AM »
If we were interested in Video we would have bought a video camera instead.

oh, really? why not to use canon a800 for still picture?
many of us are interested in high quality video not less than in high quality photoes.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 12:38:19 AM »

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 01:34:47 AM »
If we were interested in Video we would have bought a video camera instead.

oh, really? why not to use canon a800 for still picture?
many of us are interested in high quality video not less than in high quality photoes.

Have to agree with astrocrab on this one.....kinda!

If you want to take 1/2 decent video then you take a dramatic hike in prices.

This was the beauty of EOS video, it allowed sensors closer to actual film dimensions at a fairly cheap price.
Plus it allows a very shallow depth of field that most budget videocameras can't even dream of getting.

As soon as you start buying "budget" video cameras that can do the same or similar style video of the EOS line your almost on a 1:1 $:$ outlay but with a camera twice the weight and 4x the bulk.

Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 01:34:47 AM »