October 22, 2014, 01:28:38 AM

Author Topic: 6D Firmware 1.1.4 released  (Read 2979 times)

tolusina

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
6D Firmware 1.1.4 released
« on: March 19, 2014, 08:02:39 AM »
Get it here..........
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_6d#DriversAndSoftware

What it does......
"Firmware changes:
Firmware Version 1.1.4 incorporates the following fixes:
1. Fixes a phenomenon in which some images cannot be transferred to mobile devices running the EOS Remote app.
2. Corrects an error in the German language Feature Guide.
3. Corrects an error in the Korean language Feature Guide.

Firmware Version 1.1.4 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.1.3. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.1.4, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

Please note:
After the firmware update has been performed the following setting will be reset to default.
Menu > Custom Function> C.Fn II: Autofocus > AF Microadjustment> 1: All by same amount
"
As per.....
http://support-ph.canon-asia.com/contents/PH/EN/0400128402.html

---
I'm less than enthused about installing it.
Wonder if it's got any other features?

40 on 6

canon rumors FORUM

6D Firmware 1.1.4 released
« on: March 19, 2014, 08:02:39 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 6D Firmware 1.1.4 released
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 08:08:28 AM »
Menu > Custom Function> C.Fn II: Autofocus > AF Microadjustment> 1: All by same amount"

I wonder if that means individual lens AFMA values will be deleted by the firmware update?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

tolusina

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:19:35 AM »
Menu > Custom Function> C.Fn II: Autofocus > AF Microadjustment> 1: All by same amount"

I wonder if that means individual lens AFMA values will be deleted by the firmware update?
That's how I read it.

40 on 6

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 08:22:01 AM »
That's how I read it.

That's pretty lame.   :o  Even resetting all settings doesn't remove the lens-specific values (although it does reset the overall setting to 0: No Adjustment).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 09:08:49 AM »
I read that as just option one being reset to default; that is all lenses by the same amount; ie the camera body is out.

However it would be prudent to make a note of all your option 2  individual lens settings before installing the firmware  ;D

heyjp

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 07:51:36 PM »
Shoot.  Been watching for a firmware update for a year to fix the GPS issue.

GPS is certainly a great feature to have.  It uses about 25% of the battery per day, or about 1% per hour.  Which means if you have it on for an 10-hour shoot, you lose about 10% of your battery, or instead of 800 shots you get 720. ;-)   So not a lot of impact for a normal shooting day.

But, if you leave it on when you throw it in your pack, if you pull it out 3-4 days later... battery is dead. 

It seems totally logical that they should have a configuration option that if Logging is turned off, to have the GPS shut off with a custom delay (I would pick 1 hour) after you either shut off the camera switch, or after it auto powers down.  When it powers back up, it starts with the same GPS it had at shutdown, so often it's not far off.  I would gladly live with my first shot or two not perfect rather than a dead battery nearly EVERY time I pick up my camera.

Sheesh.

Jim in Boulder

heyjp

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »
hah.  Just got an email from the Magic Lantern dude that is working the 6D features.  He just added and is testing an Auto-Off for GPS today. 

Sweet.

Jim

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 10:46:52 PM »
It seems totally logical that they should have a configuration option that if Logging is turned off, to have the GPS shut off with a custom delay (I would pick 1 hour) after you either shut off the camera switch, or after it auto powers down.  When it powers back up, it starts with the same GPS it had at shutdown, so often it's not far off.  I would gladly live with my first shot or two not perfect rather than a dead battery nearly EVERY time I pick up my camera.

IMO, Canon's GPS implementation is worse than half-assed.  I'm not even sure if it is quarter-assed.  Don't get me wrong, I like having it, but I'd like it a lot better if the people who implemented it had taken the time to do it right instead of saying, "Okay, we have data, ship it."

The 6D's battery has about 13,000 mWh of capacity.  If it is running down in a week, the camera is drawing almost 80 mW continuously.  Given typical GPS power draw, that suggests that the GPS hardware is acquiring fixes pretty much continuously, which is just completely and totally brain damaged, IMO.

In an ideal world, the camera should continue grabbing coordinates normally for a user-controlled period of time after you power it off (15 minutes, by default).  After that period, it should grab coordinates only about once every 45 minutes so that the ephemeris data is always up-to-date, and so that its last known location is close enough to pretty much guarantee a hot start (unless you're in an airplane).

Powering up for a five second GPS fix once every 45 minutes should require very, very little battery power.  Even with some of the worst GPS chipsets, that should take less than 1 mWh per hour.  So by doing a single fix every 45 minutes, a theoretically perfect battery should last for somewhere on the order of 1.5 years in standby mode, not counting any other current draw for writing the data to flash.

Of course, the battery's self-discharge rate would likely run the battery down in less than a year, but that effectively means that the GPS's power consumption should be lost in the noise.

Also, in an ideal world, if GPS coordinates aren't available yet when a photo is taken, the camera should try to retroactively compute the coordinates after it obtains a lock, or at least write the coordinates into the EXIF data of recently taken photos after it obtains a lock, but that's another bug for another day.

Badger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 11:02:56 PM »
Passing on this one.  ::)
Canon 6D, EF 70-200 f/4 L USM, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, EF 35 f/2 IS USM, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 85 f/1.8 USM, 580EX

weixing

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 02:05:46 AM »

IMO, Canon's GPS implementation is worse than half-assed.  I'm not even sure if it is quarter-assed.  Don't get me wrong, I like having it, but I'd like it a lot better if the people who implemented it had taken the time to do it right instead of saying, "Okay, we have data, ship it."

The 6D's battery has about 13,000 mWh of capacity.  If it is running down in a week, the camera is drawing almost 80 mW continuously.  Given typical GPS power draw, that suggests that the GPS hardware is acquiring fixes pretty much continuously, which is just completely and totally brain damaged, IMO.

In an ideal world, the camera should continue grabbing coordinates normally for a user-controlled period of time after you power it off (15 minutes, by default).  After that period, it should grab coordinates only about once every 45 minutes so that the ephemeris data is always up-to-date, and so that its last known location is close enough to pretty much guarantee a hot start (unless you're in an airplane).

Powering up for a five second GPS fix once every 45 minutes should require very, very little battery power.  Even with some of the worst GPS chipsets, that should take less than 1 mWh per hour.  So by doing a single fix every 45 minutes, a theoretically perfect battery should last for somewhere on the order of 1.5 years in standby mode, not counting any other current draw for writing the data to flash.

Of course, the battery's self-discharge rate would likely run the battery down in less than a year, but that effectively means that the GPS's power consumption should be lost in the noise.

Also, in an ideal world, if GPS coordinates aren't available yet when a photo is taken, the camera should try to retroactively compute the coordinates after it obtains a lock, or at least write the coordinates into the EXIF data of recently taken photos after it obtains a lock, but that's another bug for another day.
Hi,
    I just disable it (I register it in the quick menu) before I switch off my 6D, so not a big problem.

Anyway, I only use the 6D's GPS as a backup as it take a long time to obtain an initial lock. Garmin eTrex 30 is a lot faster and can display a custom map...

Have a nice day.

dexstrose

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 02:42:59 AM »
I have updated to 1.1.4 from 1.1.3 and all my AF adjustments didn't change. Also tried my non oem battery and it works, the battery on the lcd says its fully charged, not empty.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 02:49:23 AM by dexstrose »

dexstrose

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 02:48:06 AM »
I forgot to mention, I still get the start up screen saying "Communication with Canon LP-E6 battery is irregular. Continue to use this battery?" when using aftermarket battery. There is a 1 second pause after pressing OK, the lcd will go blank then normal. I'm using a Zeikos battery.

When I use a canon battery, there is no pause. The lcd is on and ready for use.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:09:49 AM by dexstrose »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 07:28:54 AM »
IMO, Canon's GPS implementation is worse than half-assed.  I'm not even sure if it is quarter-assed.

I'd up that to half-quarter-assed :-p ... if they put gps in it, they should at least add the very obvious function of basic gps tracking (direction, distance) to it, I hope ML will come to the rescue once they figure out the GPS props.

What disappoints me most is that the 6d has no advantage over a dedicated gps tracker (which draws less power & is more precise) other than convenience - what *should* have been added is camera heading so you can see your fov in combination with the focal length for example on google maps/earth.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 07:28:54 AM »

jpaana

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 08:13:08 AM »
What disappoints me most is that the 6d has no advantage over a dedicated gps tracker (which draws less power & is more precise) other than convenience - what *should* have been added is camera heading so you can see your fov in combination with the focal length for example on google maps/earth.

Interesting as 5D3 with GP-E2 does include camera heading in EXIF.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 02:56:40 AM »
Interesting as 5D3 with GP-E2 does include camera heading in EXIF.

Indeed, that's why I know Canon *can* do it - obviously they didn't want to do it (you can still buy the gp-e2 for the 6d :-p) or for some technical reason couldn't add an electronic compass... though I somehow doubt the latter.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 02:56:40 AM »