July 28, 2014, 10:47:50 AM

Author Topic: Samsung NX mini – I'm speechless  (Read 1051 times)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Samsung NX mini – I'm speechless
« on: March 20, 2014, 04:38:55 PM »
Maybe I'm just feeling like a Luddite today, but I am having a very bad reaction to Samsung's latest camera – or more accurately to the way it is being promoted.

I lost count of how many times they used the word "selphie" in the announcement release. You start the self-timer by giving the camera a wink. It doubles as a baby monitor?

The camera features a solid premium metal body with a luxurious leatherette finish, making the camera the natural choice for style-conscious shooters looking to make a statement.

Is this really where photography is headed?

http://photorumors.com/2014/03/18/samsung-nx-mini-smart-camera-announced/#more-56044
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

Samsung NX mini – I'm speechless
« on: March 20, 2014, 04:38:55 PM »

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Samsung NX mini – I'm speechless
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 05:23:53 PM »
"Luxurious" leatherette.......

I guess that sounds better than "Textured vinyl"

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:41:40 PM »
Maybe I'm just feeling like a Luddite today, but I am having a very bad reaction to Samsung's latest camera – or more accurately to the way it is being promoted.

The camera features a solid premium metal body with a luxurious leatherette finish, making the camera the natural choice for style-conscious shooters looking to make a statement.

95.4% of photos are of food on plates in restaurants and bad group portraits of drunks (including selfies).

Selfies aren't new, of course, and some are actually quite good, even if a camera wasn't involved:

http://thefakeeconomist.blogspot.com/2013/02/o-autorretrato-ou-esfinge.html

As for "luxurious leatherette", that almost as good as a former classical CD producer who once described a large Cortot box set as being presented in "a luxurious cardboard box" and didn't get it when I teased him for it. 

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 09:42:09 PM »
i'm holding out for the burberry edition... ::)
APS-H Fanboy

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 10:51:06 PM »
If you can't beat 'em...
-100% RAW-

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 12:24:40 AM »
If it is the same fake leather look that is on their Galaxy Note 3 - which it seems to be, then I actually quite like it. Of course real leather would be nice, but that would be more expensive and probably less durable.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

mb66energy

• Canon 70D
  • too many boring photos with high tech quality ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 05:51:16 AM »
[...]

http://photorumors.com/2014/03/18/samsung-nx-mini-smart-camera-announced/#more-56044

I had the same feeling while walking around a lake/forest to photograph:
Person: "What is the brand and name of that camera, you use?"
Me: " It's the EOS M from Canon."
Person: "It is a nice looking camera ..."
Me: "And it has a very good photographic quality like the SLRs with similar sensors."
Person: "The finish is very nice, great surfaces and good design." His eyes were absorbed by the camera.
Me: "But more important: You have a great photographic tool in a tiny package ..."
The person's mimics lead to my conclusion that he has a totally different idea of what cameras are built for ...
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40 | 2.8+2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200 | 5.6/400 || 2 x 40D || 2x TC ||| 600D for video ||| EOS M + bunch of FD chrome rings

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 05:51:16 AM »