October 25, 2014, 02:26:25 PM

Author Topic: Canon SuperTelephoto Hood Construction  (Read 514 times)

Arkarch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Karl Buiter Photography
Canon SuperTelephoto Hood Construction
« on: March 20, 2014, 02:23:37 AM »

I am considering having my 300mm f/2.8 II lens hood laser-engraved with logo / company name (self-promotion).

(yeah, I know I can throw a sticker/vinyl on it, but the logo / info is monochromatic, so it may look very classy).

Looking for information on material underneath white coating?  Any issues with a laser?
Landscape ( http://www.buiterphotography.com )
Motorsports ( http://www.buitermotorsports.com )
5DIII, 7D, EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

canon rumors FORUM

Canon SuperTelephoto Hood Construction
« on: March 20, 2014, 02:23:37 AM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Canon SuperTelephoto Hood Construction
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 02:55:03 AM »
This is a very interesting question and a nice idea. Have you contacted Canon to ask them? I would imagine they probably know best.

Still I am looking forward to reading people's input on this.

Will you put the logo, name on the sides, top or bottom?

Good luck.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:26:46 AM »
AFAIK, the hood is carbon fiber.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:11:04 AM »
AFAIK, the hood is carbon fiber.
Yes, that's what I've read, and based on the size/weight of the hoods, seems to be true though I can't seem to find a reliable source for this information other than The Digital Picture.

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 04:33:44 PM »
Considering the hood alone is worth over 500$, it is probably made from some material only found as traces in the terrestrial environment. As those are often unstable, maybe you don't want to beam them with a laser...

Jokes apart, I've never seen that part for real but if its carbon fiber, I would expect it to be short random distributed fibres with a relatively low reinforcement fraction. If such is the case, it should etch alright I think. On the other hand, if I'm wrong and it is highly reinforced with continuous fibers, it may not make for as good a result because fibers often are really close to the surface and won't etch the same as the resin.

However, there is most likely a few thousandths of 'white' coating over the composite. I would expect that this coating would be thick enough for a shallow laser etching. If such is not the case, you may end up having uneven color or dark/black spots over the etched logo, which would not look so sharp... Moreover, if the hood or coating are made of a thermoplastic resin (I would be surprised but who knows), the engraving may not look very sharp as the surrounding may ripple or 'melt'. I can't see the hood functionality being altered, but surely its look can.

Finally, but not the least, as far as I know you usually need a few test runs on materials coupon to get the right laser settings. It may therefore not be that easy on such an expensive bit of kit.

All in all, considering the value of the hood and that there are too many unknown factors, I'd refrain from trying it unless I was sure I would be ready to live with an ugly hood in the event of a fail.

What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

Arkarch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Karl Buiter Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »

Thank-you for the responses.

Based on the last reply, I have opened up a ticket with Canon Professional Services.  Maybe I can get a small sample (broken lens hood in their repair shop perhaps?)

I'll reply once I know, and if I do a go ahead, may post a pic of the result.
Landscape ( http://www.buiterphotography.com )
Motorsports ( http://www.buitermotorsports.com )
5DIII, 7D, EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »