October 24, 2014, 01:18:09 PM

Author Topic: Canon's Plans For NAB 2014 Next Month [CR1]  (Read 3483 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon's Plans For NAB 2014 Next Month [CR1]
« on: March 20, 2014, 07:29:49 AM »

We’re told from a new source what Canon plans to do for NAB 2014 next month. We’re told that two new cameras are planned for the announcement, at least one being in the Cinema EOS line. It’ll have CFast 2.0 and be PL mount. There were no other specs mentioned. The second being unknown at this time.

Another announcement will be a major firmware update for the EOS-1D C camera. New features can be expected, as well as matching all the features currently in the EOS-1D X.

More to come…

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon's Plans For NAB 2014 Next Month [CR1]
« on: March 20, 2014, 07:29:49 AM »

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
Re: Canon's Plans For NAB 2014 Next Month [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 08:58:33 AM »
What happened to the year of the lens?  :(
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

http://www.harveyg.smugmug.com

AmbientLight

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:17:57 AM »
If one of those camera bodies is a Cinema EOS product, the other one might at best be a 7D Mark II? I must admit that I am highly pessimistic about this mysterious second camera being the long-rumored high-MP 1D-style camera. Perhaps it is going to be the year of the new camera body I won't invest in. :-\

Richard8971

• Canon 6D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 01:05:51 PM »
If one of those camera bodies is a Cinema EOS product, the other one might at best be a 7D Mark II? I must admit that I am highly pessimistic about this mysterious second camera being the long-rumored high-MP 1D-style camera. Perhaps it is going to be the year of the new camera body I won't invest in. :-\

I doubt it will be the "7D2" or high megapixel anything. It will be a Rebel. I seriously doubt we will we anything exciting from canon this year.

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

slclick

• Canon 7D MK II
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 01:09:41 PM »
'They' just got a new Rebel, and the 70D is far too new. That only leaves the upper echelon. I know, this sort of reasoning is flawed, history has proven that time and time again.
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

Richard8971

• Canon 6D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 01:21:52 PM »
'They' just got a new Rebel, and the 70D is far too new. That only leaves the upper echelon. I know, this sort of reasoning is flawed, history has proven that time and time again.

No, "they" just got a sub-Rebel. They release a new Rebel every year and the 5Ti is a year old.  They speculated 3 new cameras this year, one being a video body leaving a new Rebel. No 7D2 this year...  The lack of any new real news regarding any kind of 7D replacement supports this thinking.

D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:33:26 PM by Richard8971 »
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

IsaacImage

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • www.IsaacImage.com
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 01:44:04 PM »
14-24 -  am I asking to much ?!!  :-*
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:45:38 PM by IsaacImage »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 01:44:04 PM »

jonjt

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 01:54:31 PM »

I doubt it will be the "7D2" or high megapixel anything. It will be a Rebel. I seriously doubt we will we anything exciting from canon this year.

D

All the facts would behoove me to say otherwise but, so many people have made this arguement in the past and been wrong.  I will say that Canon would be making a serious mistep by not updating the 7D this year.  Speaking for myself, I'd forget Canon's crop format and just buy a 5Dmkiii and be done with it.  Although, maybe that was their plan all along.

transpo1

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 01:58:26 PM »
It's a firmware update unlocking 4K raw or other recording on the 1DC, plus a high end 4K Cinema EOS and maybe, just maybe a 7DII with improved video quality, maybe through compressed 4K. That last one is a pipe dream, but I'm holding out hope...  :)

slclick

• Canon 7D MK II
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 02:21:59 PM »

No, "they" just got a sub-Rebel. They release a new Rebel every year and the 5Ti is a year old.  They speculated 3 new cameras this year, one being a video body leaving a new Rebel. No 7D2 this year...  The lack of any new real news regarding any kind of 7D replacement supports this thinking.

D

Wow, I got schooled with just two letters.

It wasn't even a new model but a reclassification of the line, which is due as it was all over the place. Still my point is valid as the Rebel LINE got a new model and the XD line has not since the 6D. The Ti and XXD lines are merging and to some degree the lower models are passing the upper in terms of AF and dual pixel tech. Oh and let's not forget the SL1, that makes two SUBRebs.
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

Tugela

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 02:36:03 PM »
New announcements will be targeted to NABs audience, which, unless I am mistaken, is primarily content generator professionals. Those people don't use Rebels, so a Rebel will NOT be a new product announced.

Any announcements will be on the high end: professional or advanced enthusiast.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 03:11:33 PM »

D

Wow, I got schooled with just two letters.

It wasn't even a new model but a reclassification of the line, which is due as it was all over the place. Still my point is valid as the Rebel LINE got a new model and the XD line has not since the 6D. The Ti and XXD lines are merging and to some degree the lower models are passing the upper in terms of AF and dual pixel tech. Oh and let's not forget the SL1, that makes two SUBRebs.
Your guess is as good as anyone else's guess. Nobody knows what will be released. It is all guesswork.

If there is any camera in the Canon lineup that desperately needs an update it's the 7D. The 70D brings more features to the table at a lower price... that has to be annihilating the sales! If they put 4K video on it, NAB would be a great place to announce it.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Jackson_Bill

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 03:30:52 PM »

If there is any camera in the Canon lineup that desperately needs an update it's the 7D. The 70D brings more features to the table at a lower price... that has to be annihilating the sales! If they put 4K video on it, NAB would be a great place to announce it.

I completely agree that the 7D needs an update and that the 70D is competing well in the 7D market, having seen amateur wildlife shooters I know opt for the 70 D. I'd be *really* disappointed if the addition of 4K video is the only upgdate though. I just don't see video as one of the primary functions of the 7D and, personally, could not care less about 4K video.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 03:30:52 PM »

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 03:48:19 PM »

I completely agree that the 7D needs an update and that the 70D is competing well in the 7D market, having seen amateur wildlife shooters I know opt for the 70 D. I'd be *really* disappointed if the addition of 4K video is the only upgdate though. I just don't see video as one of the primary functions of the 7D and, personally, could not care less about 4K video.
I agree!

I'm not a big fan of 4K video.... but if it does handle 4K it will mean that there are FAST storage devices and this can only help with burst rates..

There is so much that can be done with autofocus and dual-pixel technology. I have a $200 p/s camera that recognizes people and will track focus on that face... I can put it into "cat mode" and it will track focus on the cat... Why can't we have a DSLR that tracks a BIF or an athlete?
The best camera is the one in your hands

jiphoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 05:54:57 PM »
I agree!

I'm not a big fan of 4K video.... but if it does handle 4K it will mean that there are FAST storage devices and this can only help with burst rates..

There is so much that can be done with autofocus and dual-pixel technology. I have a $200 p/s camera that recognizes people and will track focus on that face... I can put it into "cat mode" and it will track focus on the cat... Why can't we have a DSLR that tracks a BIF or an athlete?
Yeah, it seems like the biggest benefit of 4K right now is speeding up the internals to better handle other processing, since I don't meet a lot of people who own a 4K TV  :P !

The 7D's face-recognition in live view isn't too bad (not saying it's very good though!), but I think the hurdle here is phase-detection AF.  It's really good, but it's constrained to certain crosses of the sensor lines, so it can't just track something all over everywhere.  Nikon has addressed face-recognition somewhat with their metering system, but it's definitely not up to P&S-level face-detection.  Canon just needs to alter their metering techniques to go more Nikon-esque (blasphemy!).
7D, 50 f/1.8 II, 20-35 f/3.5-4.5, 24-105 f/4L, 100-400L, 580EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 05:54:57 PM »