August 20, 2014, 10:58:10 AM

Author Topic: Now that the D4s is introduced, what's next at Canon?  (Read 5217 times)

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Now that the D4s is introduced, what's next at Canon?
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2014, 01:26:15 AM »
not irked. just trying to help.
you are right- i have not seen a comparison of the d4s and 1dx.
Apologies if i came across wrong.

No it's fine, but you did own the D4.  Tell me more about that?  I'm not wanting to switch camera systems, but I definitely would like to rent the D4s and a lens anyway, just for kicks.  Hopefully sometime this summer.

The only real world test I can recall, that I liked watching...was a video done by two Canadian wedding photogs, where they compared a 1DX and a D4, both with 70-200 lens mounted...comparing the autofocus speed and accuracy...and comparing how many sharp shots they could get in a limited time...by holding the shutter button down and going back and forth between a close subject and a distant subject.  They were on a rooftop.  Not saying this was scientific, but it was an interesting real world comparison.  I'd like to do a similar test against my cousin's 1DX, if he will cooperate...lol.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2014, 01:26:15 AM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2014, 01:27:16 AM »

Okay, maybe not the most appropriate example- I get your point.
What I said was processing power doesn't need to compromise efficiency.
An example closer to home: 5D III vs 5D II- 950 shots vs 850, using the same battery.

In any case why am I even discussing D4s and 1D X. I won't ever be able to afford any of those. Okay, peace...  :-X

Haha, never say never!  I agree, power efficiency does not always factor in.  If a processor is designed to better make use of the power it consumes, then it could obviously peform more computing tasks with the same or less power consumption.
agreed!
A lot of the improvements in processing power have come from using lower voltages (less heat waste) and finer lithography, making the electrical paths smaller and thereby speeding up the processors. Both of these advances decrease power consumption.... The next big factor is variable processing clock speeds, enabling chips to slow down and use less power when the demand is lower.... so in a way, you could say that increased computing power is linked to lower power consumption.

Hmm, sounds like variable clock speed could be interesting.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2014, 01:28:29 AM »
At least Nikon have now "moderated" my comment and allowed it to stay.

Another comment from someone else...
“The quality of the RAW digital files is mind-blowing – the competition is invisible by comparison!”
This is a big claim, could you provide some evidence for this?

In the past, the name Bob Martin was only famous in the UK for dog biscuits....

Um...lmfao!!

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2014, 03:02:44 AM »
At least Nikon have now "moderated" my comment and allowed it to stay.

Another comment from someone else...
“The quality of the RAW digital files is mind-blowing – the competition is invisible by comparison!”
This is a big claim, could you provide some evidence for this?

In the past, the name Bob Martin was only famous in the UK for dog biscuits....

What I find really disturbing is that there aren't hundreds of Nikon fanboys commenting "ah-s" and "ooh's" on that page lauding a new Nikon flagship camera. Only a few very balanced and even critical comments. I wonder if Nikon can see the writing on the wall, or maybe I got it all wrong  ???
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2014, 06:05:01 AM »

Okay, maybe not the most appropriate example- I get your point.
What I said was processing power doesn't need to compromise efficiency.
An example closer to home: 5D III vs 5D II- 950 shots vs 850, using the same battery.

In any case why am I even discussing D4s and 1D X. I won't ever be able to afford any of those. Okay, peace...  :-X

Haha, never say never!  I agree, power efficiency does not always factor in.  If a processor is designed to better make use of the power it consumes, then it could obviously peform more computing tasks with the same or less power consumption.
agreed!
A lot of the improvements in processing power have come from using lower voltages (less heat waste) and finer lithography, making the electrical paths smaller and thereby speeding up the processors. Both of these advances decrease power consumption.... The next big factor is variable processing clock speeds, enabling chips to slow down and use less power when the demand is lower.... so in a way, you could say that increased computing power is linked to lower power consumption.

Hmm, sounds like variable clock speed could be interesting.
The variable clock timing has been around for a long time. For example, if you look at a PC, under normal use there is only a few percent use on the CPU, but if you run something that stresses the system you see the load jump up to 100 percent and you can watch the temperature rise. In the PC world you can slap on a bigger heat sink and add fans, but good luck trying to do that with a DSLR.....

I suspect that this is one of the reasons why Canon and Nikon are so conservative with their video performance.... You know that the camera has the power to do more, but if you ran the higher resolutions you would get into cooling problems.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2014, 06:54:16 AM »

No it's fine, but you did own the D4.  Tell me more about that?  I'm not wanting to switch camera systems, but I definitely would like to rent the D4s and a lens anyway, just for kicks.  Hopefully sometime this summer.

The only real world test I can recall, that I liked watching...was a video done by two Canadian wedding photogs, where they compared a 1DX and a D4, both with 70-200 lens mounted...comparing the autofocus speed and accuracy...and comparing how many sharp shots they could get in a limited time...by holding the shutter button down and going back and forth between a close subject and a distant subject.  They were on a rooftop.  Not saying this was scientific, but it was an interesting real world comparison.  I'd like to do a similar test against my cousin's 1DX, if he will cooperate...lol.

I agree that it would be fun to have each in hand with a 70-200 attached for a comparison test!
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

arbitrage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2014, 10:45:59 AM »
Hi, now that the D4s is a fact, what is to be expected by Canon?
We are living in a crazy age. ISO 409600. Looking forward to see some RAW samples...
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d4s

Watch the DigitalRev review and you will see how useless the 409600 is (along with the 2 values beneath it).  The D4s is a nice camera, not sure if it is a great upgrade from a D4 but for some it will be.  Still I don't think it puts any pressure on a 1DX replacement.  The 1DX is still IMHO the best DLSR out there.  I think Canon are only pressured by the higher MP D800 but they've been under that pressure for 2 years now and it hasn't amounted to anything yet.  Canon is still the only company making any money in this industry so they still don't feel much pressure from the others......yet
7D\5D2\5D3\1D4\1DX\600II\300II\200-400Lw1.4TC\100-400\100L\24-105\17-40\24-70II\70-200f/2.8LISII\40pancake\Bower14f/2.8\Fuji XE-2\Fuji 18-55\Fuji23f/1.4\RRS34L\BH-55\and a bunch of other stuff.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2014, 10:45:59 AM »

ktatty

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2014, 11:09:13 AM »

I agree that it would be fun to have each in hand with a 70-200 attached for a comparison test!
1DX,5D III|sony rx-100 II
28 mm 1.8, 35 1.4, 16-35 mm 2.8 II, 24-70-2.8 II, 135 f/2, 70-200 2.8 II, 300-2.8 is II, 400/2.8 IS II

ktatty

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2014, 11:27:50 AM »
had the d4 and d800 set up for a while. I moved to canon because i wanted the 5d iii over the d800 for my travel camera, faster fps and better auto focus system. I got the 1dx a year later to shoot indoor sports, the 5d could do it, it just wasn't as fast as the d4. I bit the bullet and bought the 1dx- i couldn't believe the autofocus ability of it-really a step above the d4.
I did watch the same review you metnitoned (very long) on tube by two photographers that were testing the d4 vs 1dx and at the end the long time nikon user decided to go with the 1dx because the autofocus speed was in a "different class" than the nikon.
I agree with him on that. I also think the 1dx does a better job with metering over the d4.
The canon rep was in our local camera shop a few weeks back and he told us canon updated the firmware in the 1dx and they did not plan to upgrade the body.
It will be interesting to see if the d4s' new autofocus system has caught up the 1dx.
I never really understood why nikon put the qxd card format on the camera. Both are great cameras, but i think the 1 dx has the edge right now.
28 mm 1.8, 35 1.4, 16-35 mm 2.8 II, 24-70-2.8 II, 135 f/2, 70-200 2.8 II, 300-2.8 is II, 400/2.8 IS II

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2014, 03:36:08 AM »
had the d4 and d800 set up for a while. I moved to canon because i wanted the 5d iii over the d800 for my travel camera, faster fps and better auto focus system. I got the 1dx a year later to shoot indoor sports, the 5d could do it, it just wasn't as fast as the d4. I bit the bullet and bought the 1dx- i couldn't believe the autofocus ability of it-really a step above the d4.
I did watch the same review you metnitoned (very long) on tube by two photographers that were testing the d4 vs 1dx and at the end the long time nikon user decided to go with the 1dx because the autofocus speed was in a "different class" than the nikon.
I agree with him on that. I also think the 1dx does a better job with metering over the d4.
The canon rep was in our local camera shop a few weeks back and he told us canon updated the firmware in the 1dx and they did not plan to upgrade the body.
It will be interesting to see if the d4s' new autofocus system has caught up the 1dx.
I never really understood why nikon put the qxd card format on the camera. Both are great cameras, but i think the 1 dx has the edge right now.

Interesting, yours is obviously inline with a consensus opinion of 1DX and Canon owners...but definitely not of die hard Nikon fans (I don't know any personally).  It's cool that you are a Canon convert!! 

In the test we both watched on youtube...I can't help but think that the respective lens's autofocus speeds played a major role (especially since they were depending on the elements going from close to distant focus, back and forth, over and over).  Nikon...well they just can't make lenses like Canon, and I suspect really none of their lenses can make use of whatever AF speed ability the D4 or D4s, has.  But unless someone, I don't know...tests an "identical" Sigma or Tamron lens on a D4s and a 1DX (that somehow also has consistent and "fast" AF...a tall order!), there's no getting around using a Nikon lens on the Nikon body.  Obviously a third party lens is not a good way to test either camera's AF capability, so it's a bit of a conundrum.

Unless of course, you are of the opinion that Nikon's 70-200 f/2.8, is in every way equal to Canon's current "version 2" 70-200.  I doubt it is, but I really have no experience...yet.

I wonder why you would favor a 5D3 as a travel body over the D800?  Unless when you travel you are only shooting sports action.  Usually "travel" implies vacationing...and shooting scenery, landscapes, etc...which the D800 would be superior for doing (assuming you have really long, skinny fingers, for the Nikon ergonomics).

As for the Sony card, obviously it ties in with using image sensors designed by Sony (and possibly other components too, I don't know?).  They claim the Sony card is faster than CF cards, but I have no idea.

ktatty

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2014, 12:46:07 AM »

Interesting, yours is obviously inline with a consensus opinion of 1DX and Canon owners...but definitely not of die hard Nikon fans (I don't know any personally).  It's cool that you are a Canon convert!! 

In the test we both watched on youtube...I can't help but think that the respective lens's autofocus speeds played a major role (especially since they were depending on the elements going from close to distant focus, back and forth, over and over).  Nikon...well they just can't make lenses like Canon, and I suspect really none of their lenses can make use of whatever AF speed ability the D4 or D4s, has.  But unless someone, I don't know...tests an "identical" Sigma or Tamron lens on a D4s and a 1DX (that somehow also has consistent and "fast" AF...a tall order!), there's no getting around using a Nikon lens on the Nikon body.  Obviously a third party lens is not a good way to test either camera's AF capability, so it's a bit of a conundrum.

Unless of course, you are of the opinion that Nikon's 70-200 f/2.8, is in every way equal to Canon's current "version 2" 70-200.  I doubt it is, but I really have no experience...yet.

I wonder why you would favor a 5D3 as a travel body over the D800?  Unless when you travel you are only shooting sports action.  Usually "travel" implies vacationing...and shooting scenery, landscapes, etc...which the D800 would be superior for doing (assuming you have really long, skinny fingers, for the Nikon ergonomics).

As for the Sony card, obviously it ties in with using image sensors designed by Sony (and possibly other components too, I don't know?).  They claim the Sony card is faster than CF cards, but I have no idea.

I agree the d800 is a better landscape camera, but not  as versatile as the 5d.  traveling with kids so you may shoot scenery one day and the next day your trying to get shots of them on a ride at Disney;my kids are not in to sitting still for pictures.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2014, 12:46:07 AM »