July 29, 2014, 03:41:44 PM

Author Topic: EOS M Lens survey - your favorites, and your most wanted?  (Read 6977 times)

dcm

• EOS M2
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
Re: EOS M Lens survey - your favorites, and your most wanted?
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2014, 06:47:32 PM »
next
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2014, 06:47:32 PM »

dcm

• EOS M2
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2014, 06:54:35 PM »
and the last.  Not my first choice for macrophotography considering I have the 100L and 6D.  But in my pack, on the trail, with the M, it might do nicely for wildflowers with the EF-M lenses.
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2014, 06:56:17 PM »
i cant wait to try it on the 11-22 since its got IS it might be a tad better than the 22 for macro
APS-H Fanboy

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2014, 07:58:58 PM »
Dear Friends.
Yes, I fell in love again and again, with EOS-M With 2 EF-M Lenses and  EF -Lens Adaptor-----Only Thing that I Need are the Tube for Macro photo, for EF-M Lens.
"Vello Econo Auto Focus Extension Tube Set for Canon EF-M Mount "---But Back-Order = $ 49.99 US Dollars           

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/974083-REG/vello_ext_cme_auto_focus_extension_tube.html

Surapon

nice find! mr surapon should be pretty good with the 22mm i would think. I'm gonna see if i can find some myself now i know they exist.

I've been searching for an EF to EF-M tilt shift adapter but have had no luck yet maybe you could hunt one down ;) :P

Thanks Surapon, there are a few macro extension tubes for the EOS M on ebay too. I couldn't find the vello ones so I just went with a set of Fotga ones. Can't wait to try them out with the 22mm f/2!

Dear Friend, Mr. Zv.
If I were you, We should wait for " Vello Econo Auto Focus Extension Tube " = Auto Focus function for EOS-M------Another brand name = Manual Focus only, and some of them have no electrical contact with our EOS-M camera.
Good luck, And Please report for us to Know too.
Have a great Work Week.
Surapon

The FOTGA's are similar to the Vellos and include the electrical contacts.  You can get them without going to China on eBay.
http://www.amazon.com/FOTGA-Macro-Focus-Extension-Canon/dp/B00CRD2UUG

WOW, WOW, WOW---THANKS dear dcm.
I will order  to day, With out waiting for Back - Order = Similar Cost too.
Thanksssss.
Surapon

Played with the FOTGA extension tubes today.  Metal mount, plastic body - definitely a different feel.  But the camera seems to function just fine with them.  The m/22 gives 0.21x magnification, 0.66x with the 10mm tube, 0.94x with the 16mm tube, and 1.39x with the pair of tubes.  You only have an inch or so of working distance (no filters) so lighting and shadows can be an issue.

Here are some handheld test shots (OOC JPGs) with the 16mm extension and the M/22 at 0.94x magnification.  Will need to work on my technique a bit.  Technique will need some work.  A tripod and a focus rail would help, along with stacking, but kind of defeats the purpose of the small package.

Wow, Wow, Wow, Dear friend dcm.
Thanks for great Macro Photos that you test with your new FOTGA.
I will order 1 set on this Monday too.
Here are the Photos this morning  The Amaryliis Flowers in my  Solarium, EOS-M with EF-M 18-55 F/ 3.5-5.6,  IS MACRO, Hand held shooting,
Enjoy.
Surapon

PS. I set in AV Mode F= 8.0, ISO = 100, And  Camera will autoset SS = 1/ 125 sec.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 08:02:35 PM by surapon »

dcm

• EOS M2
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2014, 08:43:21 PM »
i cant wait to try it on the 11-22 since its got IS it might be a tad better than the 22 for macro

Didn't get around to using that yet, other that a quick bench test at my desk to shoot the wallpaper pattern.  The IS should help, but that will be offset by the loss of 2.5 of stops.  The working distance will still be around an inch with the 16mm extension tube, half an inch with 26mm of extension tubes for 1.39x magnification, or an inch and a half with the 10mm extension tube for 0.66x magnification. It should be interesting.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 08:48:29 PM by dcm »
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2014, 03:18:02 AM »

Didn't get around to using that yet, other that a quick bench test at my desk to shoot the wallpaper pattern.  The IS should help, but that will be offset by the loss of 2.5 of stops.  The working distance will still be around an inch with the 16mm extension tube, half an inch with 26mm of extension tubes for 1.39x magnification, or an inch and a half with the 10mm extension tube for 0.66x magnification. It should be interesting.

but i'd be wanting to stop it right down anyway for DOF so the IS is better at 22mm the 11-22 should have similar magnification to the 22 with the tubes
APS-H Fanboy

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2014, 06:54:44 AM »
OK so I finally received my Fotga 10mm and 16mm extension tubes today! They look and feel OK, a bit light and plasticky but the finish is close to the EOS M's. Mounts nicely with no play.

I did a quick test mainly with the 10mm tube since it was easier to find things to fit the frame. I'm new to macro so getting the focus right took time. However, it was a lot of fun for such a minuscule price!

Here's a couple of shots with the 10mm tube and 22mm f/2. One is the zipper from my water flask and the other is a scrabble tile. Both lit by a small flashlight.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 06:56:21 AM by Zv »
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2014, 06:54:44 AM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2014, 10:48:35 PM »
got a EF-M AF extension tube set

Tested with the 22mm and the 11-22
the AF hunts badly and is very slow with the 22mm
but is much much much faster with the 11-22 also the IS on the 11-22 means lower shutter speeds are possible

here is a sample of each
APS-H Fanboy

daemorhedron

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2014, 03:24:11 PM »
I am torn between ordering EF-M and EF extension tubes. Mainly I suppose I am worried about the weight/durability of using EF-M version.

I was thinking to use 100MM Macro IS at the very least. How strong do you think the EF-M versions are?

dcm

• EOS M2
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2014, 12:55:39 AM »
I am torn between ordering EF-M and EF extension tubes. Mainly I suppose I am worried about the weight/durability of using EF-M version.

I was thinking to use 100MM Macro IS at the very least. How strong do you think the EF-M versions are?

There are different types of extension tubes available for the M so your mileage may vary depending on what you choose.  The FOTGAs seems reasonably solid, even with my 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro attached to the pair for a 26mm extension tube. 

I have EF-M (FOTGA 10mm & 16mm) and EF (Canon 12mm & 25mm) extension tubes.  There was no noticeable difference in function (AF, etc.) between the two during use.  To get a reasonable comparison I tried the FOTGA 10mm+16mm versus the Canon 25mm with my 100 f/2.8L IS Macro and 40mm f/2.8 lenses.  Here's the camera JPGs for comparison.  I included the 100mm with no extension tube for comparison.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:49:18 AM by dcm »
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

dcm

• EOS M2
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2014, 01:21:48 AM »

I also did a quick comparison of the 22mm, 11-22mm at 22, and the 18-55mm at 22 with the FOTGA 10mm and 16mm extension tubes to compare how well each lens does with macro tubes.  There was some difference getting focus with these lenses.  I used FlexiZone - Multi AF with the center zone and adjusted camera distance until I could achieve a majority of the 9 zones in focus, rather than attempt MFD and adjust camera distance (no rails yet).  This is similar to how I would use the camera in the field, starting close and backing off until I achieve autofocus.  I verified with liveview in these cases.   This leads to the interesting difference in the distances I could achieve reliably achieve autofocus with the different lenses.   The 11-22mm consistently achieved autofocus at a closer distance than the kit lenses.  The other thing to note is the softness around the edges as I got closer.

I can try again some other time to get MFD on each lens when I get a focus rail.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:46:13 AM by dcm »
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

daemorhedron

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2014, 03:23:02 AM »
Thanks for the update dcm! I am not really worried about image quality per se, just the strength of the tubes themselves being able to take the weight of the EF to EF-M adaptor plus lens.

I am leaning towards the EF-M ones because that way you get tubes for almost any system (FD, MD, M42, EF, EF-M, etc).

Looks like either Fotga or Meike.

daemorhedron

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2014, 03:59:29 AM »

Hmm, now I'm leaning to a new one I found.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DB9TPAI/?tag=sterlingbymus-20

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2014, 03:59:29 AM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2014, 08:47:58 AM »

Hmm, now I'm leaning to a new one I found.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DB9TPAI/?tag=sterlingbymus-20

Yeah, originally I think Surapon posted about those Opteka ones but they were difficult to find on ebay. Looks like they've sorted out their stock issues. I'd go for these, it has one extra 21mm tube.

I have the Fotga 10mm & 16mm set that cost about $45. They're quite well made but feel light. They supported a FD 50mm f/1.4 plus FD-EOS M adaptor just fine. If you're using the EF adaptor you can support the weight better by using it's tripod foot instead of the EOS M.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

dcm

• EOS M2
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2014, 11:10:30 AM »
Thanks for the update dcm! I am not really worried about image quality per se, just the strength of the tubes themselves being able to take the weight of the EF to EF-M adaptor plus lens.

I am leaning towards the EF-M ones because that way you get tubes for almost any system (FD, MD, M42, EF, EF-M, etc).

Strength seems fine for my use.  They can easily take the weight of any current EF-M lens mounted on the M with the M mounted to a tripod.  When used with the EF Adapter, the extension tube only has to take the weight to the M since the adapter is on the tripod.  The adapter is taking the weight of the lens in this case.   

Handholding results in a similar experience - holding the M with small lenses, holding the lens with larger lenses.

I did mount my 55-250 STM on the adapter and FOTGA extension tubes just to try it out and it seemed fine.  Its usable at the short end (55mm) but a 500D close-up lens is preferable at 250mm.
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2014, 11:10:30 AM »