December 18, 2014, 11:43:39 PM

Author Topic: photographing motorsport particularly F1  (Read 3146 times)

Bob Howland

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: photographing motorsport particularly F1
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »
You might want to look at these for input on shutter speeds:

http://www.pbase.com/rhowland/2005_06_12_watkins_glen

The cars were about 200 yards away, moving across my field of view at 80-100 mph. The lens was my 70-200 Sigma EX. The longest lens I've ever used for panning was a 100-400.

I've never been able to use a tripod or monopod when panning. When you're panning, you have to rotate your body not a tripod or monopod. I have found that I want my body in its most comfortable resting position at the end of the pan. Then twist your body, with your feed stationary, to where you expect the pan to begin, wait for the car to enter the viewfinder and unwind your body while following the car. If you're most comfortable at the start of the pan, you'll tend to lag behind the car.  With my 40D, I was shooting at 6.5 FPS, which mostly was adequate. The 10D used for these shots was a bit slow. I wanted the car to be directly perpendicular to me or with just a little of the front showing, so timing was extremely tight. I'm waiting for Canon to introduce a mirrorless FF camera that can take 20 FPS, full resolution.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:18:35 AM by Bob Howland »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 09:01:51 AM »
I thought to add that in getting steady panning shots, it helps to hold the lens at the long end to get as stable a grip on the camera as possible. For this I like the 100-400 because your left hand is automatically at the front end of the lens.
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

Hesbehindyou

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 04:13:02 PM »
I have found that I want my body in its most comfortable resting position at the end of the pan. Then twist your body, with your feed stationary, to where you expect the pan to begin, wait for the car to enter the viewfinder and unwind your body while following the car. If you're most comfortable at the start of the pan, you'll tend to lag behind the car.

My technique is to sit/stand facing 35-45-ish degrees to the point where I'll take the shot. My aim goes off target a little as I go over 45-ish degrees, but by then the subject has been snapped. This is the opposite to Bob's, so I'll change it around and see if his way suits me.

I wanted the car to be directly perpendicular to me or with just a little of the front showing, so timing was extremely tight.

Yeah, the amount of missed shots due to timing :-)  I'm trying to fill the frame with my subjects now which makes things harder as they're RC powerboats (and fast ones at that) and they skip all over the place with slight changes of speed whenever they catch on a ripple (or 'wave' to these models  ;) ). I'm gagging for a large sensor >10 fps camera with no lag in the viewfinder too.

Re shutter speed: 1/200 is fairly conservative. It'll likely give you the blurred background and plenty of keepers but I'd go real s-l-o-w and trade keepers for really blurred backgrounds - it'll give you fewer keepers but they'll have wow factor.  The nature of formula 1 means you'll get plenty of opportunity to take many shots of each car. If it's your first time I'd suggest mixing it up:

- Start out with 1/200 and pixel peep to check you've nailed 'em.
- Once you've nailed a car, reduce shutter speed to see how low you can go.

TexPhoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 04:28:17 PM »
I find it helps to look at a particular focus point, usually the center one, and try and keep that on a particular part of the car like the side mirror.  And a great imd to practice is during practice.  That is the cars will be practicing for a few days before the race.

Pugshot

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 06:15:48 PM »
Another thing that helps is, assuming you can get the right position, shooting the cars as they enter a turn. They brake going into the turn so they're going slower, giving you a better chance to get the shot. They'll accelerate in the turn itself, of course, as they get back up to speed. But I've had good luck shooting cars as they head into the turn, or as they're just starting to accelerate once they're in the turn.

Roo

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 08:12:15 PM »
A lot of good advice here.  I was going to suggest something similar to Pugshot but I was thinking more of a mid corner shot so you can see the tyres stressed under load.  If you get your angles right you should be able to get them slowing through the corner and pan with them through it.

The tickets allow you access to any area on the Friday which is always the best shooting day anyway - 2 x 90min sessions and a lot less people to worry about. That is also when you'll see some odd things like fluoro paint being put on the wings to test aero. Looking at the track map I think I would shoot one session from Grandstand B and the other session from Grass Stand J  as there are plenty of angles you can cover within each session. http://www.smartshanghai.com/smartticket/shanghai-f1. That map gives you a general idea of the views from each stand but unfortunately it doesn't allow you to pan through the whole viewing angle like the Monza and others do :(
5Diii, 60D,GoPro Hero 4, Canon 24-105L, Canon 70-200 2.8L is II, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 macro, Tamron 150-600

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 06:58:23 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys! much appreciated I've got top level tickets in the grandstand so i hope they met me roam around a little and I also really appreciate the detailed panning technique tips and shutter speeds :)
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 06:58:23 AM »