July 28, 2014, 02:17:02 AM

Author Topic: Canon Announces M15P-CL Industrial Camera with Monochrome Sensor and Nikon F-Mount  (Read 4399 times)

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
Hi Neuro.
I think you hit the nail on the head, it's not a consumer camera, however many consumer level people on this forum have been confused by its appearance here on what I would guess is primarily a "consumer oriented" site, my only confusion was why it was posted here. I'm thinking with Canon now getting in to security and industrial imaging there ought to be a topic dedicated to announcements of this (non consumer) type product where we can avoid the confusion created here, and people who understand the implementation, strengths and limitations of this type of product can drool over them.  ;D
Neat that Canon is innovating though.

Cheers Graham.

This is a QC production line and machining camera. Why can't the posters here get this?
+1

Bottom line - this is not a consumer camera.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosine 100-300 retired)

canon rumors FORUM

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
This is a QC production line and machining camera. Why can't the posters here get this?

Maybe because some of us have never heard of a "QC production line and machining camera" and have no idea what it is?   ;)

I had never heard of it, but now I am switching over.  I am done with commercial/creative/sport photography and will now exclusively shoot production line and machining photography.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Hi Neuro.
I think you hit the nail on the head, it's not a consumer camera, however many consumer level people on this forum have been confused by its appearance here on what I would guess is primarily a "consumer oriented" site, my only confusion was why it was posted here. I'm thinking with Canon now getting in to security and industrial imaging there ought to be a topic dedicated to announcements of this (non consumer) type product where we can avoid the confusion created here, and people who understand the implementation, strengths and limitations of this type of product can drool over them.  ;D
Neat that Canon is innovating though.

Cheers Graham.

+1

I think we are seeing it here because CR is broadening out bit by bit into a photography site.  There are posts and forums for various brands of cameras, printers, computers, software, tablets, and even smart phones.

If nothing else, its good to learn new things, who knows, perhaps some day one of us might find that we need such a product, and knowing about them will be a help.

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Hi Mt Spokane.
I was meaning it should still be here, just under Commercial products. Like
EOS for Stills.
EOS for video.
Technical support.
Canon General.
Canon commercial.
I think this would have prevented the confusion and people like me could have a gander and know what we are looking at and those not familiar could learn or ignore.

Cheers Graham.

I'm thinking with Canon now getting in to security and industrial imaging there ought to be a topic dedicated to announcements of this (non consumer) type product.

Cheers Graham.

I think we are seeing it here because CR is broadening out bit by bit into a photography site.  There are posts and forums for various brands of cameras, printers, computers, software, tablets, and even smart phones.

If nothing else, its good to learn new things, who knows, perhaps some day one of us might find that we need such a product, and knowing about them will be a help.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!

TeT

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • I am smiling because I am happy...
    • View Profile

I bet if you handed them out, about 1/2 the ppls posting in this forum would hook it up to their bird feeder with remote motion activation...

It is a digital camera afterall...

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
Considering all the fuss about people confusing this for a consumer product, I guess a joke about Canon 'finally answering' the threat from the Leica Monochrom would not be adviseable, wouldn't it?
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
I bet if you handed them out, about 1/2 the ppls posting in this forum would hook it up to their bird feeder with remote motion activation...

Sure they would…assuming they have an MDR26 cable to connect it to their computer, a CameraLink-compatible framegrabber board in the computer to plug that cable into, control software, etc.  I'd be surprised if more than a few people posting in this forum (there's at least one - me), much less half of them, have access to the necessary hardware to use a machine vison camera.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Hi Neuro.
Not everyone has the correct hardware, but most of us have google, a soldering iron and ambition beyond our ability, I'm sure I could make a hybrid cable to connect this camera I've been given to my PC. ::)  Of course there is no guarantee that smoke will not escape from one or the other or even both!  ;D ;D

Cheers Graham.

Sure they would…assuming they have an MDR26 cable to connect it to their computer, a CameraLink-compatible framegrabber board in the computer to plug that cable into, control software, etc.  I'd be surprised if more than a few people posting in this forum (there's at least one - me), much less half of them, have access to the necessary hardware to use a machine vison camera.

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
So, when will you obtain one of these cameras and do some testing? Test the important stuff like DR...

Doesn't sound too portable, but I've seen skits where people lug desktop computers around on 2 wheel carts and set up in internet cafes (CRT monitors too). I suppose another cart and assistant would be needed for the back-up UPS, or a long extension cord.

;D

Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Doesn't sound too portable

It's not bad - there are ExpressCard/34 CameraLink framegrabbers that work with laptops.

So, when will you obtain one of these cameras...

Why bother?  It's monochrome, so it'll get a big fat zero (maybe a 1?) for color depth...meaning the MP15-CL will get a far lower DxOMark Sensor Score than other Canon cameras, and those are already terrible compared to all other makers.  Clearly, this camera is a non-starter from an IQ standpoint.  ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

slclick

• 7D
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
I'm certain it will be in the iPhone 6
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Hi Mt Spokane.
I was meaning it should still be here, just under Commercial products. Like
EOS for Stills.
EOS for video.
Technical support.
Canon General.
Canon commercial.
I think this would have prevented the confusion and people like me could have a gander and know what we are looking at and those not familiar could learn or ignore.

Cheers Graham.

I'm thinking with Canon now getting in to security and industrial imaging there ought to be a topic dedicated to announcements of this (non consumer) type product.

Cheers Graham.

I apologize, I  misunderstood you.  (nothing new for me)

I doubt that there will be enough posts to justify a separate forum, its pretty much a one shot deal.  The same with security cameras, we may see a post every few months, but nothing worth a separate topic. 

That may change, and if it does, I'm sure that there will be yet another forum.

On the other hand, we may start seeing forums dedicated to other brands.

canon rumors FORUM