October 02, 2014, 01:16:15 AM

Author Topic: Wiggly focusing ring.  (Read 423 times)

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Wiggly focusing ring.
« on: March 23, 2014, 08:45:59 PM »
So a few weeks ago I was trying out a new system of attaching my 400f5.6 to the shoulder strap of my pack.
It was extremely convenient. Too convenient, and when the last thing in the world I expected to happen, happened (I tripped on my own snowshoes), the lens came out of the rigging and fell a few feet to the ground (only a few inches of snow, unfortunately).

My new rigging uses a clip that must be actuated to release the lens, so I don't have to worry about dropping my lens anymore (I'm using a quickdraw, a pair of professional grade climbing carabiners attached to each other with some webbing, and one clip thoroughly attached to the webbing on the shoulder strap. I tied a good loop of paracord to the lens-plate for the other end).
The focusing system seems fine, if there are any problems it's too minor for an f5.6 lens to care, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and seen further consequences later on. Or if they have an estimate for how much it cost to fix.

The other half of the point of this post is just to re-iterate that Murphy is real, and he is out to get you.
-100% RAW-

canon rumors FORUM

Wiggly focusing ring.
« on: March 23, 2014, 08:45:59 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Wiggly focusing ring.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 11:36:37 AM »
Until the lens is disassembled, its impossible to determine how many internal parts are damaged.  There can be much more damage than you think, but I expect it to be minor.  Non-IS lenses are simpler and more robust.

Canon has fixed prices for repair, yours would likely be the minimum repair, about $250 or so.

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 12:23:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply. $250 doesn't sound so bad (relatively speaking) as long as it's just a mechanical problem.
After reading so many articles from Roger (Lensrentals) I'm almost afraid to send a lens to the manufacturer for repair. Lensrentals should start a repair service, I know I would use it.
It's the same deal with Volkswagen dealers around here, I've never heard a good thing about them (mechanical service), but one guy starts an independent repair shop specializing in that brand of cars and everyone loves him.

Found a Reddit AMA from a few days ago, so close.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2058f7/we_are_lensrentalscom_today_our_technicians_and/
[–]echo_61 15 points 8 days ago

Have you considered opening a repair service? It appears from many blog posts that you guys beat the factory service teams on quite a few lenses.

Can you order factory parts directly, or do you have to buy them from a third party?

[–]LensRentals[] 19 points 8 days ago

We have considered it, and eventually we may offer that service, but we currently don't have the capacity to service any other lenses besides our own.

Parts depend on the manufacturer. Nikon parts are right out, which is unfortunate.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:36:12 PM by 9VIII »
-100% RAW-

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 03:14:04 PM »
I dropped my 400 5.6 twice - both times from a falling tripod (nearly 6' onto rocks one time, pavement the other) and both times the hood took the impact and was dented just enough to make closing it impossible.  Both drops didn't cause any mechanical or obvious optical issues and I kept using the lens for many weeks until I got annoyed enough to send it into Canon.  The repairs (hood replacement and lens alignment/calibration) cost me around $400 each time.  It's a tough lens and took a beating with no issues. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 03:14:04 PM »