October 30, 2014, 09:13:59 AM

Author Topic: Lee Filter Adapter Question  (Read 2700 times)

RobertG.

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Lee Filter Adapter Question
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 08:04:58 PM »
Hi,
I use the Hitech filters in a Lee filter holder. The Hitech filters were cheaper and easier to get. I though about switching to Lee for a while already but can't imagine that the image quality would improve enough to justify the investment. The newer Hitech filters like the reverse grad NDs or ProStop IRND are also a bit better than my older grad NDs. A single Hitech grad ND or a Hitech grad ND + pol filter is fine. Two Hitech grad ND filters is not such a good idea because you may notice a tiny bit of haze caused by 3mm of additional plastic infront of your lens. But the pictures are still pretty good.

BTW, depending on the exact position of the Hitech reverse grad filter to the sun, a much more reddish picture can be the result. This is often quite welcome. The attached photo shows the efect quite well. Both pics are out of cam but resized. Half of the 2nd one was stacked up as a layer on the 1st one. They were taken seconds apart and differ only in the position of the reverse grad filter and shutter speed (1/15sec vs 1/5sec).

Best regards, Robert

5DII | TS-E 17 mm L | TS-E 24 mm II | EF 35mm f1.4 | TS-E 45mm | EF 50mm f1.4 |
Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 | EF 85mm f1.8 | TS-E 90mm f2.8 | EF 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 08:04:58 PM »

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 07:30:58 AM »
Hi,
I use the Hitech filters in a Lee filter holder. The Hitech filters were cheaper and easier to get. I though about switching to Lee for a while already but can't imagine that the image quality would improve enough to justify the investment. The newer Hitech filters like the reverse grad NDs or ProStop IRND are also a bit better than my older grad NDs. A single Hitech grad ND or a Hitech grad ND + pol filter is fine. Two Hitech grad ND filters is not such a good idea because you may notice a tiny bit of haze caused by 3mm of additional plastic infront of your lens. But the pictures are still pretty good.

BTW, depending on the exact position of the Hitech reverse grad filter to the sun, a much more reddish picture can be the result. This is often quite welcome. The attached photo shows the efect quite well. Both pics are out of cam but resized. Half of the 2nd one was stacked up as a layer on the 1st one. They were taken seconds apart and differ only in the position of the reverse grad filter and shutter speed (1/15sec vs 1/5sec).

Best regards, Robert

Robert, thank you so much for taking the time to not only answer my question but also to send the photos, which I found to be quite helpful. --Vivid

Goldingd

• SX60 HS
  • 5D Mk III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 01:03:13 PM »
I use the Lee 100mm system. I am supremely happy with it. I have both standard and wide adaptor rings. The difference in-between standard and wide is that the wide adaptor places the "ring" behind the front edge of the lens, as a result, if your lens retracts into the barrel when focusing, the ring might prevent that (focus direction lens dependent).

If your lens supports use of the wide adaptor rings I would go with that ESPECIALLY for wide angle lenses.

I would advise visiting the LEE web page for clarity on that.

http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:07:25 PM by Goldingd »

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 08:29:20 PM »
I use the Lee 100mm system. I am supremely happy with it. I have both standard and wide adaptor rings. The difference in-between standard and wide is that the wide adaptor places the "ring" behind the front edge of the lens, as a result, if your lens retracts into the barrel when focusing, the ring might prevent that (focus direction lens dependent).

If your lens supports use of the wide adaptor rings I would go with that ESPECIALLY for wide angle lenses.

I would advise visiting the LEE web page for clarity on that.

http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system

Thank you, Goldingd!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 08:29:20 PM »