October 20, 2014, 05:27:48 PM

Author Topic: Off Brand: Sony Readying Branded Medium Format System?  (Read 4341 times)

bbasiaga

• EOS M2
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
Re: Off Brand: Sony Readying Branded Medium Format System?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 03:13:52 PM »
Well, whatever it is it will be a disappointment.  If for no other reason than expectations are so high and so varied.  I mean, this thing is going to cost $5k, even though it should only cost $2.5k, so it had better have so much DR that it doesn't even have  to have any shutter speed settings.  Just take a frame and get the exposure set in post, right?  Total fail if it can't deliver.  I'm being reasonable though, as I am already admitting that they either are too greedy or aren't smart enough to figure out an good way to select DOF in post, so they will need to include an aperture setting in the lens/body system.  We'll have to wait at least two more generations for them to get that right and release a worthwhile system....sheesh this world is a tough one.

;)  In this very thread there are folks who desire a mirrorless/compact system, a full sized MF sensor, and the ability to use 35mm lenses (which probably don't have a large enough image circle nor enough outer edge correction if they did).  So this thing is doomed to a flame war like all the rest of the camera releases.

Sigh,
Brian

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 03:13:52 PM »

Haydn1971

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
Thinking aloud, re a compact medium format system, could something along the lines of an EOS-M be done in that Sony brings a compact medium format mirror less camera out, bespoke mount with 3-4 bespoke compact lenses and a series of adaptor units for mounting medium format lenses at the correct flange distances.
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 01:30:54 AM »
Well, whatever it is it will be a disappointment.  If for no other reason than expectations are so high and so varied.  I mean, this thing is going to cost $5k, even though it should only cost $2.5k, so it had better have so much DR that it doesn't even have  to have any shutter speed settings.  Just take a frame and get the exposure set in post, right?  Total fail if it can't deliver.  I'm being reasonable though, as I am already admitting that they either are too greedy or aren't smart enough to figure out an good way to select DOF in post, so they will need to include an aperture setting in the lens/body system.  We'll have to wait at least two more generations for them to get that right and release a worthwhile system....sheesh this world is a tough one.

;)  In this very thread there are folks who desire a mirrorless/compact system, a full sized MF sensor, and the ability to use 35mm lenses (which probably don't have a large enough image circle nor enough outer edge correction if they did).  So this thing is doomed to a flame war like all the rest of the camera releases.

Sigh,
Brian

It might cost that much initially, but if you wait until between Christmas and New Year's, perhaps 15 months after the initial release, it'll probably sell for less than half the initial street price...especially if they decide to abandon developing anymore lenses for it.  About that time, suddenly it will be seen as a cool camera, and you'll see a lot more people shouting how great the IQ is, in a grandiose manner.  Lots of cityscape shots, children in the parks, street shots, family shots, rainbows, yellow moons, green clovers, purple horseshoes..."look how sharp her eyes are", "check out the amazing dynamic range...don't you wish Canon could yada yada", etc.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2014, 02:07:10 AM »
It'll certainly be something "completely different" from other digital MF: it won't exist. Even though Sony appears to be trying the 'scatter gun' approach to camera systems I cannot believe they will want to develop a system that's in a segment of ever decreasing market share and something of a niche area now. They havent been able to make much inroads into the Nikon/Canon upper end of the DSLR market let alone MF.

I think this rumour's about as credible as the Canon MF one  - CR 0.

The only reason the Full Frame vs Crop sensor debate isn't a Medium Format vs Full Frame is because of accessibility.

If Canon were to release a Medium Format solution, complete with new lenses many would drop full frame like a stone. As someone who shoots a H4D50 I can tell you there's no comparison between the two.

It's not even about MP for me either, 18mp is fine. Just massive pixels, large sensor please.

How much ever superior MF may be to full frame, which it must be, I cannot imagine dropping my 1dx. I love its fps and portability compared to MF.

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2014, 05:13:48 AM »
It'll certainly be something "completely different" from other digital MF: it won't exist. Even though Sony appears to be trying the 'scatter gun' approach to camera systems I cannot believe they will want to develop a system that's in a segment of ever decreasing market share and something of a niche area now. They havent been able to make much inroads into the Nikon/Canon upper end of the DSLR market let alone MF.

I think this rumour's about as credible as the Canon MF one  - CR 0.

The only reason the Full Frame vs Crop sensor debate isn't a Medium Format vs Full Frame is because of accessibility.

If Canon were to release a Medium Format solution, complete with new lenses many would drop full frame like a stone. As someone who shoots a H4D50 I can tell you there's no comparison between the two.

It's not even about MP for me either, 18mp is fine. Just massive pixels, large sensor please.

How much ever superior MF may be to full frame, which it must be, I cannot imagine dropping my 1dx. I love its fps and portability compared to MF.

Good point.  But what if, in the future, perhaps in the second generation after the 1DX (not the next one coming in 2016, but the one after that), Canon has produced a lens lineup for an approximately 45mm wide sensor, that is similar to the current EF lineup...and this future "1DX" uses this sensor, and those lenses?  (Those lenses in the same focal length, but not the same FOV...need not be much heavier than the current EF lenses, because the image circle is not that much larger.)  What if you could get different resolutions of sensor in that same body (with the high MP version limited in its fps at that resolution...but able to shoot in sensor crop mode...and the lower MP versions able to shoot at 16 fps with servo AF tracking)?  And what if this camera body, is smaller than current MF cameras such as Phase One, and Hasselblad, but only slightly larger than the current 1DX...and weighing only ounces more, if that (and definitely lighter than the Leica S2).  And what if it didn't cost much more in current dollars (adjusted for inflation and other factors), than the current 1DX?  What then?  Would you say "no I am still going to stick to 'full frame', because that's what 35mm film used to be"?

A decade from now, not too many people will remember film.  Kind of like how now, people don't seem to remember or care, what happened in the 1990's and early 2000's.

vscd

• EOS M2
  • 5DC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »
How much ever superior MF may be to full frame, which it must be, I
cannot imagine dropping my 1dx. I love its fps and portability compared
to MF.
Yeah, it's all about 12 Frames per seconds. And without ISO 204800
there is no way out. Damn, the 2 Cardslots are always full...

Did you ever make a photo planned in 2 hours, build up in 15 minutes,
loved for years? No? Think so.

MF is not for snapshooting but all about photography.
5DC, 24-85, 85 1.2L II, 80-200 2.8L, 100 2.8L IS, 14 2.8, 35 1.4, 75-300 IS, 40STM

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 03:27:22 PM »

I disagree with your first two sentences. Firstly the choice between MF and FF isn't just about accessibility. The larger sensor and equipment create their own restrictions on the photographer, something where the size of the 35mm has proved itself to be highly versatile, and MF, even in the castrated guise of 645 and most digital sizes have never been able to match.

Digital has given a massive IQ boost to this highly versatile 35mm size, and the IQ/Versatility/Ease of use/Costings mean that there are now a lot less people who would be prepared drop FF and jump on MF, because there is not the need as there once was.

There are enough people out there to purchase really expensive kit for the sake of it being 'unique'. I'm amazed at how many S2 units Leica sells: having stated earlier that Sony needs MF expenditure like a hole in the head, I suppose I can see the route of losing a load of taxable profit in MF development in the aim of giving the rest of their imaging products more credibility - a little like the F1 in car manufacturers case, because although Moodies gave Sony's stock junk status they still have a load of cash floating about. There are enough well heeled amateurs to buy a few units.

Regarding night and day of the H4 to FF it depends on application IMO. Yes the larger sensor is better, but so much of it depends upon the final print size, and the demand for the size and dpi, intended viewing distance etc is limited.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 03:27:22 PM »