July 26, 2014, 04:02:21 AM

Author Topic: Used 1DsIII Prices  (Read 3959 times)

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
Used 1DsIII Prices
« on: October 29, 2011, 09:20:27 AM »
When will the used prices come down? These still seem to be selling for a lot.

:)
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

canon rumors FORUM

Used 1DsIII Prices
« on: October 29, 2011, 09:20:27 AM »

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
Re: Used 1DsIII Prices
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 10:33:30 AM »
They still go for 3k on ebay used (UK). I've got mine listed on Play.com for £2699

Even though the 1DX is out in march a lot of guys still want the autofocus and resolution...and at half the price. I'm still keeping my other one for studio and portraits because of this.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

ianhar

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 11:19:20 AM »
Even when 1ds mk iii first came out the 1ds mk ii can still retain much of its price. I dont think the price of 1ds mk iii will go down much at least until next year or so.

Flake

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 05:43:59 PM »
Why would you want one?  The reason it didn't sell very well was because the 5D MkII comprehensively out performed it, even though it was three times as expensive!  I suppose there might be an arguement for a last 1Ds for collectors interest?

When the 5D MkIII (or what ever it's called) comes along it'll still be cheaper than the 1Ds MkIII and will most likely be a massive improvement over it.  If it's not for a collection then I'd be saving my money.

Zuuyi

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »
The 1Ds3 might drop in prices once the 5d3 comes out.  Because the 5d3 New will be all around better  and cheaper than the 1ds3 used.

If you can get Canon Loyalty to give you a 5d2 with the 20% off (faulty camera) discount at $1600 it's a better buy.

But if you want a 1Ds3 wait until the 5d3 is announce prices will continue to drop.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 09:39:16 PM »
Why would you want one?  The reason it didn't sell very well was because the 5D MkII comprehensively out performed it, even though it was three times as expensive! 

Hmmm, the 5DII may well outperform the 1DsIII on price, having video capability plus slightly better low light performance. But this viewpoint seems to come from someone who doesn't use 1-Series bodies on a daily basis. For most jobs I'd reach for the 1DsIII. With a 1DsIII in the bag, a 5D MkII, though undeniably good, is always the backup or second body.

Given the highly evolved performance parameters of the 1DsIII, particularly in dynamic shooting situations, it simply delivers a higher percentage of "keepers" than the 5DII. They are both brilliant cameras, you just need to know which one to pull out of the bag for the situation you are shooting in.

Rather than seeing them them as opponents, they are in fact mighty fine companions.

Paul Wright

ianhar

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 11:22:32 AM »
I dont own 1ds mk iii but if there is a chance i would want one. Its not that 5d mk ii did not serve me well,it did, but there are still limitation on 5d mk ii that the 1ds ace. It might not be very significant to other but it is to some of us

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 11:22:32 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 01:10:55 PM »
Used prices are usually lowest a few weeks before a new body announcement, and go up after the announcement. 

I can't imagine a real -photographer selling their 1Ds MK III and waiting until March for a replacement.  There will always be a few on the market, but there will not be enough of them to drive prices down for another year.

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 07:39:45 PM »
I don't own a 1 series body (nor have I seen one up close and personal), but it could be neat to have and experience.

Not $4k - $6k neat for me, though.

For the prices they go for on the auction site, it must be a pretty darn good camera. The numbers would have to get a lot lower for anything to happen on my end.

I wonder if the 5DIII (or whatever it is called) would keep used 1DsIII prices a bit higher. Obviously, those that want the 5D II/III for video wouldn't be interested, but still photoraphers could be if there wasn't a huge improvement in imaging capabilities.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 08:04:50 PM »

Given the highly evolved performance parameters of the 1DsIII, particularly in dynamic shooting situations, it simply delivers a higher percentage of "keepers" than the 5DII. They are both brilliant cameras, you just need to know which one to pull out of the bag for the situation you are shooting in.

Rather than seeing them them as opponents, they are in fact mighty fine companions.

Paul Wright

Realisticly, with a 5D, you do need to spend more time worrying about your camera as well - so shooting in adverse conditions can be problematic.

Even though my wife's 5DII is coping quite admirably with a workload of up to 5000 frames a week recently, she is very conscious of the need to be careful in rain and dust.

A 5D(II) would never stand up to the rough handling I have seen/heard of a 1Ds being subjected to.

Depending on the work you are doing a few thousand bucks of capex is nothing compared to the damage to your business of not being able to do a job.  Add to that the higher keeper ratio when working in a pressurised situation.  Hence why my wife will be looking very seriously at the 1DX as a replacement for the 5DII when it has to be put out to pasture.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 08:04:50 PM »