October 01, 2014, 06:55:39 PM

Author Topic: Much Ado About Nothing at NAB 2014 From Canon  (Read 2648 times)

bosshog7_2000

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Much Ado About Nothing at NAB 2014 From Canon
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 01:18:56 PM »
I'm a fairly 'long-time' Canon guy...started shooting with a new Ellan II in the 90's.  I have bought numerous Canons: Ellan II, 20D, 5D, 1DSII, 5D2 plus numerous P&S's.  I still have my 5D2 as the 5D3 wasn't enough of an upgrade for me to spend the money.  The last two years I have also been shooting an XPro1 with the 35mm, 23mm and some Leica glass.

The sad truth is I find myself shooting less and less with my 5D2.  I wish Canon would come out with something new and groundbreaking to make me excited about the brand again.  Even their foray into mirrorless was a joke; coming out with the 'M' when they had the opportunity to produce something exciting along the lines of Fuji and/or Sony A7R.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 01:18:56 PM »

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 01:29:31 PM »
I'm a fairly 'long-time' Canon guy...started shooting with a new Ellan II in the 90's.  I have bought numerous Canons: Ellan II, 20D, 5D, 1DSII, 5D2 plus numerous P&S's.  I still have my 5D2 as the 5D3 wasn't enough of an upgrade for me to spend the money.  The last two years I have also been shooting an XPro1 with the 35mm, 23mm and some Leica glass.

The sad truth is I find myself shooting less and less with my 5D2.  I wish Canon would come out with something new and groundbreaking to make me excited about the brand again.  Even their foray into mirrorless was a joke; coming out with the 'M' when they had the opportunity to produce something exciting along the lines of Fuji and/or Sony A7R.
Have you tried the 5DIII?  I was in the same camp as you in thinking that it wasn't a big upgrade - but then I used one.  It's a totally different camera and is better in nearly every way.  I agree that they have been playing it pretty safe, though, and if the Fuji suits you well, then Canon's probably made you pretty unhappy as they haven't catered to the street shooter/traveler market in quite a while.

bosshog7_2000

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 01:33:03 PM »

Have you tried the 5DIII?  I was in the same camp as you in thinking that it wasn't a big upgrade - but then I used one.  It's a totally different camera and is better in nearly every way.  I agree that they have been playing it pretty safe, though, and if the Fuji suits you well, then Canon's probably made you pretty unhappy as they haven't catered to the street shooter/traveler market in quite a while.

I forgot to mention I already owned the 7D too:)  Anyway, the one thing that DID appeal to me about the 5D3 is the user interface is much like the 7D which I actually really loved.  I only sold the 7D as I was never really happy with the image quality.  Anyway, I know the 5D3 is a great camera but as I said I just couldn't justify the money for a better user interface and improved AF.

In addition to street shooting (hence the Fuji) I enjoy landscape photography so I am hoping Canon will eventually release a counter to the D800E....and with an improved UWA option.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 01:54:13 PM »

I forgot to mention I already owned the 7D too:)  Anyway, the one thing that DID appeal to me about the 5D3 is the user interface is much like the 7D which I actually really loved.  I only sold the 7D as I was never really happy with the image quality.  Anyway, I know the 5D3 is a great camera but as I said I just couldn't justify the money for a better user interface and improved AF.

In addition to street shooting (hence the Fuji) I enjoy landscape photography so I am hoping Canon will eventually release a counter to the D800E....and with an improved UWA option.
I guess that's what I'm getting at - the 5DIII is much better in many other ways as well - the built in level, silent shutter, better build quality are very nice, but the shadows are so much better, ISO 3200 if very useable, and the AF blows away the 5DII if you're shooting anything that moves.  I'm not trying to sell you one :) but I think you'd be surprised by the level and number of improvements if you shot with one for several days.  I had a 7D, too, and sold it not long after buying the 5DIII - the crop factor wasn't enough reason for me to keep it.  I was never happy with the 7D at ISO 1600 or above.

that1guyy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 01:58:49 PM »
Yay more disappointment from Canon. Maybe I should lower my expectations that Canon doesn't release anything that appeals to me so I won't be disappointed.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 02:00:26 PM by that1guyy »

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 04:07:01 PM »

I understand your complaint, but one nice aspect of the A7R (unless you want it for sports/herons-catching-fish etc.) is how well it works with Canon lenses (others too, of course), even those for which the latest metabones adapter doesn't provide AF (I recently spent some time using mine with the 100L, using MF & the A7R's focus peaking, with - to my pleasant surprise - a high success rate).  Buying one may not make you excited about the Canon brand again, but it might make you excited about your Canon lenses again, especially given your remarks in a later post re an interest in landscape photography.   I've not done anything resembling a scientific comparison, but I'm pretty sure that the images my Canon lenses make with my A7R are even better than the images they make with my 6D & 5DIII.  Brand loyalty is all very well, but promiscuity is more fun.

Tugela

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 04:13:07 PM »
Actually, they did introduce new high end cameras at NAB 2013. The G30, XA20 and XA25.

In NAB 2014 they have a workshop called "Canon Small Chip Sensor Workshop". The abstract for that session is "Discover how to create and deliver near instant video production in the field and in the studio with the XA20, XA25, and Vixia Mini X. Learn how to take advantage of their incredible image quality and superb Wi-Fi capabilities, and see what's new for 2014 within the Canon small chip sensor camera line". The bolded bit implies that they will be talking about 2014 cameras that have not been released yet. Granted, those will not be EOS cameras, but to say they will have nothing for NAB this year probably is not true.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 04:13:07 PM »