November 28, 2014, 08:29:54 AM

Author Topic: EOS-1D X & EOS-1D C Cold Weather Autofocus Issues  (Read 3899 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Re: EOS-1D X & EOS-1D C Cold Weather Autofocus Issues
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »
Well good luck folks!  From canons website:

Working Temperature Range
32-104°F/0-40°C

Sometimes they work and sometimes they dont.  Perhaps canon will fix the problem out of the kindness of their hearts which they do from time to time.  However using it below working spec does give them an out if they so choose.

They have fixed the issue on cameras produced after January 2013, and they silently fix the camera if you take it in for service because of this issue, you probably get a "focus adjustment/calibration" as the work done.
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »

dhachey77

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 10:34:12 PM »
I updated the post to include the date the issue was reported internally at Canon, as well as a photo showing what the issue is.

I retract my concerns.  Thanks to the moderator's update, the date of manufacture of my body is most likely out of the affected range.  It really irks me when manufacturers put out these internal product advisories, but don't tell consumers. 

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 12:46:26 AM »
I updated the post to include the date the issue was reported internally at Canon, as well as a photo showing what the issue is.

I retract my concerns.  Thanks to the moderator's update, the date of manufacture of my body is most likely out of the affected range.  It really irks me when manufacturers put out these internal product advisories, but don't tell consumers.
Lawyers, on the other hand, love it.  Hiding a problem is the stuff of class action lawsuits, and the attorneys always win.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 02:40:32 AM »
Wonder what causes some cameras to completely stop and that's it and others to work as it would in warm weather. I can understand for exampl afma tolerances, but this is strange to me at least.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 04:09:16 AM »
Oh damn, I'm going to both Antarctica and Iceland later this year.  How am I to determine if my 1D X is affected?  Is there a serial number list to check?  I haven't had any problems with it so far, but never really shot in really cold weather.

Put it in the freezer? ;)
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 05:02:16 AM »
This is one of the "joys" of the internet age; whereas in previous years, not many outside of the select few would have know of this issue (or noticed it), now it will be splashed all over the web with accompanying howls of derision. Or perhaps it is leading to companies being more open with service notices: Canon seem to be getting better after being badly burnt by the whole 1D MkIII AF episode; Nikon are learning the lesson the hard way! Was Six Sigma always a myth?

chanceslost

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 08:00:39 AM »
Was Six Sigma always a myth?

I thought it used to take six Sigmas to get a good one, but their QA is getting better.  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 08:00:39 AM »

Jon

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2014, 09:52:03 AM »
I just finished a trip in early March across Baffin Island in the high Canadian Arctic, our daytime/nighttime temps were ~
-35/-40C  and we camped the entire time, so the gear was subject to cold the entire time.. I was using a 5D3 and 1Dx (loaner from CPS) Not sure if it had had the modification described, but I experienced no problems with either. My discussions with Canon prior to the trip about the cold and also the two C100 video cameras was the temp rating listed in specs is mostly the battery specs.. I kept batteries for both camera in a vest in between layers, and thus was able to swap warm batteries when needed, (about once a day) The C100's experienced issues with the LCD screen going black from the cold.. We did not try it but I think hand warmers, judiciously placed/taped would have solved that problem.
5D3, 1Dx, Canon 28 f2.8 IS, 35 f2, 16-35, 50 f2.5, 85f1.2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 300 f4 IS, 300 f2.8 IS, 50mm Zeiss f1.4, Sigma 8mm

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2014, 12:42:48 PM »
I just finished a trip in early March across Baffin Island in the high Canadian Arctic, our daytime/nighttime temps were ~
-35/-40C  and we camped the entire time, so the gear was subject to cold the entire time.. I was using a 5D3 and 1Dx (loaner from CPS) Not sure if it had had the modification described, but I experienced no problems with either. My discussions with Canon prior to the trip about the cold and also the two C100 video cameras was the temp rating listed in specs is mostly the battery specs.. I kept batteries for both camera in a vest in between layers, and thus was able to swap warm batteries when needed, (about once a day) The C100's experienced issues with the LCD screen going black from the cold.. We did not try it but I think hand warmers, judiciously placed/taped would have solved that problem.

Its camera specs that are published, not battery specs.  I was advised by canon to avoid operating at less than spec but it could take it for a short period of time if left on as the internal components generate heat.  Canon recommended no more than 30 minutes below temp but could be extended if precautions were made for supplemental heat.

Ive used battery powered handwarmers in a cooler which work well.  The chemical handwarmers generate too much condensation.

JimB

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2014, 02:03:42 PM »
If you have the info please release...  Particularly about the lenses.  I have thousands invested in L lenses and if there are problems I would like to know.  If there are lens problems with models I currently do not own as yet it would be very useful to avoid when planning future purchases.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 11:32:05 PM »
My 1D X was a pre-release pre-order, and although I haven't used it extensively in sub-freezing temps, I have been out shooting eagles on a couple of occasions for a few <32 °F hours, and for several shorter periods when my kids were out playing in the snow.  I experienced no AF issues on those occasions.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

cpagility

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014, 12:10:10 AM »
I have one of the early 1dx models and I had it in Yellowstone for a week in Feb 2013 and Feb 2014 with temperatures ranging to -35 below zero (-45 with the wind chill).  I didn't have any problems with it at all. 

I sent it in for a clean and check a couple of weeks ago and got a notice back that they were replacing the Mirror Assembly at no charge. 

I got it back and the first time I used it on my 500 f4 (which was also just back from a clean and check) it wouldn't focus at all.  I went put on my 1div and shot with that then tried my 70-200 back on the 1dx and it was focusing.  I tried the 500 f4 again and it was working.  I had mounted and removed the lens a couple of times as well as turning the camera off and on the first time I put that lens on and it didn't work.  It now seems to be working fine but I'm not feeling very confident that the problem happened the first time I used it after Canon's mirror assembly replacement. 

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 11:44:19 AM »
I have one of the early 1dx models and I had it in Yellowstone for a week in Feb 2013 and Feb 2014 with temperatures ranging to -35 below zero (-45 with the wind chill).  I didn't have any problems with it at all. 

I sent it in for a clean and check a couple of weeks ago and got a notice back that they were replacing the Mirror Assembly at no charge. 

I got it back and the first time I used it on my 500 f4 (which was also just back from a clean and check) it wouldn't focus at all.  I went put on my 1div and shot with that then tried my 70-200 back on the 1dx and it was focusing.  I tried the 500 f4 again and it was working.  I had mounted and removed the lens a couple of times as well as turning the camera off and on the first time I put that lens on and it didn't work.  It now seems to be working fine but I'm not feeling very confident that the problem happened the first time I used it after Canon's mirror assembly replacement.

May have been a coincidence.  Ive had it happen to me on other bodies and usually just unlocking the lens and relocking gets it going again.  I now routinely clean the lens contacts with high grade contact cleaner and a qtip and the issues are less seldom.  Maybe once per year.  If it recurs you may want to have them check it out again.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 11:44:19 AM »