August 27, 2014, 04:58:18 AM

Author Topic: New Full Frame Camera in 2014? [CR1]  (Read 16165 times)

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: New Full Frame Camera in 2014? [CR1]
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2014, 04:31:50 AM »
To you or anyone, where did the "kiss" name come from, for the Rebel line in Europe?  Is it meant to market to certain people, and if so, which people?  In America they could almost use "kiss" also, if for no other reason than almost nobody in the potential customer base, would associate it with the rock band.  They're too young, and even their parents are almost too young too, lol.  To me, "rebel" seems more fitting, but maybe that's just because I'm accustomed to the name and the line over time.

Actually, "kiss" is the Asian name for Rebel series. In Europe we have D series - 300D-700D, 1000D-1200D and 100D aka SL1.

My mistake.  Where did it come from, if you know?

Could be the same place all weird Japanese stuff comes from :).

Haha, that is not very reverent of the Japanese, who design and build your cameras...

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2014, 07:11:03 AM »
To you or anyone, where did the "kiss" name come from, for the Rebel line in Europe?  Is it meant to market to certain people, and if so, which people?  In America they could almost use "kiss" also, if for no other reason than almost nobody in the potential customer base, would associate it with the rock band.  They're too young, and even their parents are almost too young too, lol.  To me, "rebel" seems more fitting, but maybe that's just because I'm accustomed to the name and the line over time.

Actually, "kiss" is the Asian name for Rebel series. In Europe we have D series - 300D-700D, 1000D-1200D and 100D aka SL1.

My mistake.  Where did it come from, if you know?

Could be the same place all weird Japanese stuff comes from :).

Haha, that is not very reverent of the Japanese, who design and build your cameras...

... and I love my Japanese cameras :). I just don't understand some design and marketing decisions they make. Like my 6D having 1/180sec flash sync and that option is not available if the flash is not attached to the camera, so I have to use 1/160sec shutter speed with my non-TTL triggers. Not a big deal, but still...
Selling lenses (non-L) without a piece of plastic called "lens hood" and asking an unreasonable amount of money for such accessories (like $70 for a hood for the 35/2 IS USM) is beyond my logic as well :). Canon started implementing "the pinch cap technology" lately, so there is hope :).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:13:28 AM by ecka »
FF + primes !

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2014, 02:59:26 PM »
What about a 4D? It's just a matter of time :)

No then all the Physicists would get confused they might think it were referring to advanced hypothetical spacial relationships beyond the current acknowledged 3 Dimensions...  :-*

Why do you think they went from 1D and then straight to 5D?
Bypassing 2D, 3D and 4D... then 7D.... whoops we missed the 6D so lets fill that space too...
I don't think they would ever do a 2D, 3D or 4D... simply because its a pun waiting to happen...

The number 4 in Japan is an unlucky number, same as with the number 9. I generally would not expect to see any products with those numbers from Japanese companies...but then Nikon went and made the D4...so you never know. :P

I think the 2D and 3D are definitely puns waiting to happen, or at the very least confusing names for a DSLR that is very likely to have video capabilities. The 3D just sounds too much like a camera capable of taking three-dimensional video.

I'd kind of like to see a 4D though...something above the 5D line in specs, but not as costly as the 1D line.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2014, 03:03:34 PM »

You have a 6D. You have never felt completely satisfied with it for many reason. Reasons that could include 5DmkIII envy, CF, focus points and overall build etc. It is personal and may or may not make sense to everyone.

Dual card slots on the 5D3 are one of the BEST features of this camera, albeit limited in speed on the SD slot. That said, I usually have it configured to shoot to both cards simultaneously and if I really need the speed I can click a couple of buttons and remove the SD card as a bottleneck to the buffer.

Have you checked that you have the fastest available SDXC card? It should read at least 600x next to the class 10 UHS-1 markings. Slower class 10 UHS-1 cards work fine in the 6D, but the speed difference is noticeable when the camera saves multiple images or HDR is used.

Don't feel that this would be wasted if you buy a 5D3 with an even faster CF card, there is also a second (SD) slot that I'm sure could be useful for backup.

Although, the 5DIII cannot take advantage of the faster SD cards. I think the top speed achievable is 133x.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2014, 07:55:12 PM »
Here is the situation:

You have a 6D. You have never felt completely satisfied with it for many reason. Reasons that could include 5DmkIII envy, CF, focus points and overall build etc. It is personal and may or may not make sense to everyone.

Most importantly, you feel you are not getting the most out of your 70-200mm 2.8L II or 85mm f1.2 in some situations.

You have the opportunity to trade in the 6D for a reasonable price and pay the difference on a 5DmkIII. You are completely happy with this potential transaction. Ultimately a loss in original investment, yes, but finally getting into the 5DmkIII you have lusted after.

Here is the question:

With all the recent rumors of a mkIV, sensor/focus technology etc etc. would you pull the trigger on the 5DmkIII or continue to wait, potentially until 2015?

Time is somewhat of an issue, as I want to keep shooting. Also, I would spend the extra money on a MKIV, but would not be comfortable with a price point like the current 1D X.

I'm looking for general thoughts and opinions, because I'm torn.

Many thanks, cheers!

If you are happy with the transaction then get the 5Dmk3 the AF is blazingly good and in a completely different world to that crap 9 point system. The overall 5D3 package is a really great all round performer
APS-H Fanboy

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2014, 08:17:57 PM »
the 5Dmk3 the AF is blazingly good and in a completely different world to that crap 9 point system.

I have to take issue with that false statement.  Sorry, but you're mistaken. Wrong.  Incorrect.  You're mischaracterizing the 6D's AF system, bub.

The 6D has 11 AF points. 

:D
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2014, 08:29:54 PM »
the 5Dmk3 the AF is blazingly good and in a completely different world to that crap 9 point system.

I have to take issue with that false statement.  Sorry, but you're mistaken. Wrong.  Incorrect.  You're mischaracterizing the 6D's AF system, bub.

The 6D has 11 AF points. 

woops sorry :-[

anyway its still no better than the 5Dmk2 AF which was junk too ;)
APS-H Fanboy

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2014, 11:15:07 PM »

The 6D has 11 AF points. 

Alas...9 points and that 8way+center controller actually made sense...so it had to be changed.