November 25, 2014, 07:48:28 PM

Author Topic: Tamron 150-600mm AF servo issues?  (Read 7531 times)

philmoz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Tamron 150-600mm AF servo issues?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2014, 04:45:35 AM »
there are no report from 5D MK3 user that the lens behaves strange.

My post, immediately before yours, is reporting strange behaviour with this lens on the 5D Mk 3.

The same behaviour does not happen with the 100-400L or 70-300L.

It could just be my copy of the lens - I have sent emails to Tamron Japan and the local distributor.

Phil.

i have read at least thousand postigs and you both are the first that says there are issues with the 5D MK3.

so far you both are the only ones who seems to have these issues with "newer" canon bodys.

the question is if AI servos is made to follow a objects that "jump".

On my 5DIII, ff something moves in between the camera and the object in focus, and the camera re-focuses on the closer object, and then the object moves away, then my Tamron will not re-focus on the more distant target.

Both my 70-300L and 100-400L do not behave like this - they will both re-focus to the farther object.

This seems like a defect (at least in my lens).

Phil.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2014, 04:45:35 AM »

Lightmaster

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2014, 04:47:14 AM »

My post, immediately before yours, is reporting strange behaviour with this lens on the 5D Mk 3.

The same behaviour does not happen with the 100-400L or 70-300L.

It could just be my copy of the lens - I have sent emails to Tamron Japan and the local distributor.

Phil.

i have read at least thousand postigs and you both are the first that says there are issues with the 5D MK3.

so far you both are the only ones who seems to have these issues with "newer" canon bodys.

the question is if AI servos is made to follow a objects that "jump".

On my 5DIII, ff something moves in between the camera and the object in focus, and the camera re-focuses on the closer object, and then the object moves away, then my Tamron will not re-focus on the more distant target.

ah ok now i get what you mean.

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2014, 05:39:25 AM »
I am looking out of the window on the 17th floor of a Shanghai hotel, with the cityscape shrouded in mist and evening coming in at 5-15 pm. There is virtually no contrast between the grey spikes on top of the buildings and the grey mist. So, nothing better to do I have tested A1 servo on the 5DIII and the Tamron.

1. Set to centre spot focus, A1 servo and 600mm, the lens locks on very quickly to a very thin pole on the top of a distant building and instantly refocusses as I pan to closer and closer objects and back again. So absolutely no problem.

2. Set to the 9 centre points focus, A1 servo and 600mm, the lens locks on much more slowly to that very thin pole.

3. Set to all points focus, A1 servo and 600mm, the lens locks on even more slowly to that very thin pole and struggles to refocus. So, there is a problem with this setting in these extreme conditions.

But, I recall that with the 300mm f/2.8 + 2xTC @600mm, I have been sometimes been disappointed with the 9 centre points focussing. So, there could be problems under certain conditions when tracking with all points, but this is probably not unique to the Tamron.
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600, EOS-M, 18-55, f/2 22.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2014, 05:44:00 AM »
I am looking out of the window on the 17th floor of a Shanghai hotel, with the cityscape shrouded in mist and evening coming in at 5-15 pm. There is virtually no contrast between the grey spikes on top of the buildings and the grey mist. So, nothing better to do I have tested A1 servo on the 5DIII and the Tamron.

1. Set to centre spot focus, A1 servo and 600mm, the lens locks on very quickly to a very thin pole on the top of a distant building and instantly refocusses as I pan to closer and closer objects and back again. So absolutely no problem.

2. Set to the 9 centre points focus, A1 servo and 600mm, the lens locks on much more slowly to that very thin pole.

3. Set to all points focus, A1 servo and 600mm, the lens locks on even more slowly to that very thin pole and struggles to refocus. So, there is a problem with this setting in these extreme conditions.

But, I recall that with the 300mm f/2.8 + 2xTC @600mm, I have been sometimes been disappointed with the 9 centre points focussing. So, there could be problems under certain conditions when tracking with all points, but this is probably not unique to the Tamron.

I fly back in to shanghai tomorrow, want to grab a beer?
APS-H Fanboy

philmoz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2014, 05:47:03 AM »

Does it still work if you move quickly to a much closer object and back again?

That's where I have problems - if the change in focus distance is small it will re-focus both closer and farther away.
If the change in focus distance is large, then it will only refocus to a closer object.

Phil.

Lightmaster

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2014, 06:18:02 AM »

That's where I have problems - if the change in focus distance is small it will re-focus both closer and farther away.
If the change in focus distance is large, then it will only refocus to a closer object.

Phil.

well i am not an AI servo expert.

you say the EF 70-300 and EF 100-400 lenses don´t behave that way.
thought others reported they behave exactly the same.

so i am bit confused.

what does the lens do when you follow a car and suddenly something near jumps into focus.
as i understand your posts the tamron will not refocus on the car?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 06:25:09 AM by Lightmaster »

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2014, 06:27:25 AM »

Phil.
Yes - I tested that as you had reported a problem. It was fine.
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600, EOS-M, 18-55, f/2 22.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2014, 06:27:25 AM »

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2014, 07:29:59 AM »

I fly back in to shanghai tomorrow, want to grab a beer?

We will be in Pudong tomorrow night before leaving on Monday morning for Guilin for a week. Where will you be?

philmoz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2014, 07:39:24 AM »

Phil.
Yes - I tested that as you had reported a problem. It was fine.

Thanks for testing.

So it could be my copy of the lens, or perhaps some setting on the camera.

Will do some more testing tomorrow and see what happens.

Phil.

candc

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2014, 09:28:14 AM »
After reading the posts here I did some experimenting with the lens on a 6d and a 70d. At 150 it works fine but at the longer focal lengths with the cameras set to ai focus and if you focus on a distant point and then quickly move to a near target or vice versa, the camera does not try to refocus unless you let go and repress the AF on button. This has never been a problem but I see its there once I looked for it. I use the lens in ai focus mode most of the time and it seems to track okay but it seems it will quit if there is a drastic change. Its not a big deal to me but something to keep in mind

you are the first who reports this with the 5D MK3, 6D and 70D.

unless it´s the typical behavior you also see with other original canon telephot lenses too.

this kind of "issues" attract people to test things and notice behavior they have not notice before and blame it on the lens.

for comparison i tried the same test using the sigma 120-300 and found that the bare lens is fine but if you add tc's then you get this same behavior so it seems an issue of max aperture and how well ai servo functions and not an issue that is specific to the tamron.

philmoz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2014, 02:40:28 AM »
After reading the posts here I did some experimenting with the lens on a 6d and a 70d. At 150 it works fine but at the longer focal lengths with the cameras set to ai focus and if you focus on a distant point and then quickly move to a near target or vice versa, the camera does not try to refocus unless you let go and repress the AF on button. This has never been a problem but I see its there once I looked for it. I use the lens in ai focus mode most of the time and it seems to track okay but it seems it will quit if there is a drastic change. Its not a big deal to me but something to keep in mind

you are the first who reports this with the 5D MK3, 6D and 70D.

unless it´s the typical behavior you also see with other original canon telephot lenses too.

this kind of "issues" attract people to test things and notice behavior they have not notice before and blame it on the lens.

for comparison i tried the same test using the sigma 120-300 and found that the bare lens is fine but if you add tc's then you get this same behavior so it seems an issue of max aperture and how well ai servo functions and not an issue that is specific to the tamron.

It could have something to do with the max aperture and non-Canon lenses.

I did some more testing today, and found the Tamron lens would sometimes re-focus to a more distant object if there was sufficient contrast for AF to lock onto.

I tried my Canon 100-400L with a Kenko 1.4TC. At 560mm (400mm x 1.4) the camera registers the aperture as f/8; but the lens was still able to re-focus between near and far objects most of the time. It would occasionally refuse to refocus on a more distant object like the Tamron.

I still like the Tamron, and mine is sharper at 600mm than the 100-400L + 1.4TC.

If I hear anything from Tamron, I'll post it here.

Phil.

weixing

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2014, 07:11:27 AM »
Hi,
   I also just got my Tamron. From my observation for 1 session with my 6D (center point AF), the AF servo once in a while (notice 2 times) will go out of focus a bit on a stationary subject... but I'm not very concern at the moment unless it happen very often.

Anyway, the result look quite good... 500mm and 600mm @ F6.3 is slightly sharper than mine EF400mm F5.6L + kenko 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300 (560mm) @ F8.0, but EF400mm F5.6L had less vignetting than the Tamron.

By the way, the EF400mm F5.6L + kenko 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300 (560mm) reported in my 6D correctly as 560mm @ F8.0, but on the Tamron, it reported 600mm @ F6.3... without the TC.

Have a nice day.

Lightmaster

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2014, 07:27:12 AM »
   By the way, the EF400mm F5.6L + kenko 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300 (560mm) reported in my 6D correctly as 560mm @ F8.0, but on the Tamron, it reported 600mm @ F6.3... without the TC.

i don´t get that sentence.
you mean concerning the max aperture for AF?

the 6D will focus with the tamron + 1.4 TC from kenko... but only if contrast is good.
otherwise it´s hunting forever.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 07:31:28 AM by Lightmaster »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2014, 07:27:12 AM »

weixing

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2014, 08:14:09 AM »
Hi,

i don´t get that sentence.
you mean concerning the max aperture for AF?

the 6D will focus with the tamron + 1.4 TC from kenko... but only if contrast is good.
otherwise it´s hunting forever.
    I mean when I use the EF400mm F5.6L with the Kenko 1.4x TC, it'll reported the actual focal length and f-stop correctly to my 6D (560mm @ F8.0), but when use the kenko 1.4x TC with the Tamron, it'll report the focal length and f-stop without the 1.4x... ie 150mm @ F5.0, 400mm @ F5.6, 500mm @ F6.3 and 600mm @ F6.3.... just wonder how the focal length and f-stop reporting work??

Have a nice day.

Lightmaster

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2014, 01:17:14 PM »
got an email from tamron germany.

i asked if there is a firmware update or a new revision of the lens (both internet rumors i heard).

it says the AF on the tamron works and if not.. then it´s a single problem with my lens copy.

i would qoute the email here.. but it´s not allowed.

Any review, reliance or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited.

well i have no issue with my copy, i just asked if there is a new firmware or a new revision of the lens.

so i guess the talk about shipping delays because of a new revison and a firmware update are just that... rumors.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:23:45 PM by Lightmaster »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2014, 01:17:14 PM »