July 30, 2014, 08:37:11 PM

Author Topic: Canon Tops in the ILC/DSLR Market for the 11th Straight Year  (Read 3843 times)

David Hull

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Tops in the ILC/DSLR Market for the 11th Straight Year
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 10:46:46 PM »
Rather than disseminating useless marketing fluff, Canon should give us the raw data, so we can see whether their claim is substantiated or not.
They could publish a costed BOM for each of their cameras too, that would be nice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 10:46:46 PM »

David Hull

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 10:49:53 PM »
What would be nice to see is a chart indicating average repair costs, customer satisfaction, use by professionals, units remaining in service over years, etc.  Categories where Canon has probably done well, but who knows how well compared to other brand.

Courtesy of Roger at lensrentals.com.  This is data from 2012-2013, he has previous years available on his blog, too.

The average repair cost is not surprising -- my 24-105 went belly up a while back and they charged me $408 to fix it.  That was a bit of a surprise.

Interestingly enough, I had it back in roughly 5 days.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:52:02 PM by David Hull »

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 10:51:18 PM »

That's a very informative chart ... surprising that Nikon charges as much as Leica for repairs ... also Nikon's repair time is pretty pathetic only topped by the scandal hit Olympus.

It doesn't tell you what was repaired. For example both Canon and Nikon have quite high repair costs. Is their service generally more expensive then the other brands? Or do for example the (assumed) often rented out for comparable rough use  superteles skew the result?

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 03:25:03 AM »

That's a very informative chart ... surprising that Nikon charges as much as Leica for repairs ... also Nikon's repair time is pretty pathetic only topped by the scandal hit Olympus.

It doesn't tell you what was repaired. For example both Canon and Nikon have quite high repair costs. Is their service generally more expensive then the other brands? Or do for example the (assumed) often rented out for comparable rough use  superteles skew the result?
It is impractical to include what was repaired by 10 different manufacturers with hundreds of items, in a chart like this. I recently had a damaged filter thread (due to a fall) repaired at the local Canon service center ... the service center chap took less than 10 minutes to replace & return it to me, while I took 30 minutes to decide on buying the 100-400 L IS at the same time. The repair/replacement cost me $173
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

mustafa

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 05:46:48 AM »
Have I got this right?  Canon have sold 70m EOS cameras and 100m lenses?

There must be an awful lot of people who have only one lens, and don't really need an ILC.

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 05:55:04 AM »
Rather than disseminating useless marketing fluff, Canon should give us the raw data, so we can see whether their claim is substantiated or not.
They could publish a costed BOM for each of their cameras too, that would be nice.

The average repair cost is at least partially providing information regarding costs for parts replacement. This is of course not the same as a BOM, but should imply that vendors like Nikon or Leica do provide rather expensive parts. Once you apply factors like production costs depending on production volume the difference to Canon becomes smaller, as both Nikon and Leica don't produce the same quantities Canon does. Of course quantities produced at Nikon are still far more than at Leica.

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 10:45:52 AM »

There must be an awful lot of people who have only one lens, and don't really need an ILC.

wrong conclusion. :-)

There are an awful lot of low-end Rebel DSLR buyers, who expect "better image quality than from compacts and smartphones" but will never buy another lens other than the kit lens supplied. Even if they do buy a double-zoom kit, most of them loathe taking along a second lens or changing lenses.

Obviously, they'd be much better served by a very compact, non-mirrorslapping, noise- and vibration-free, sturdy  APS-C sensored camera. Something like a G1X II but with a 3:2 sensor, reasonably fast dual-pixel hybrid AF (70D). Fully retractable zoom lens, no need for f/1.8 or so, but rather a bit more tele ... say 18-80mm/3.5-5.6 IS STM. The whole thing priced at a reasonable USD 299. It would sell liek hotcakes. :-)

Instead, Canon believes they can sell the weirdo G1X II for 799,-  ::) :P  ... that's why folks still buy DSLRs like Canon Rebels and Nikon D3xxx/5xxx. Each time with a "brand new" 18-55 kit zoom. :-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 10:45:52 AM »

mustafa

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 01:00:56 PM »

wrong conclusion. :-)

There are an awful lot of low-end Rebel DSLR buyers, who expect "better image quality than from compacts and smartphones" but will never buy another lens other than the kit lens supplied. Even if they do buy a double-zoom kit, most of them loathe taking along a second lens or changing lenses.

Obviously, they'd be much better served by a very compact, non-mirrorslapping, noise- and vibration-free, sturdy  APS-C sensored camera. Something like a G1X II but with a 3:2 sensor, reasonably fast dual-pixel hybrid AF (70D). Fully retractable zoom lens, no need for f/1.8 or so, but rather a bit more tele ... say 18-80mm/3.5-5.6 IS STM. The whole thing priced at a reasonable USD 299. It would sell liek hotcakes. :-)

Instead, Canon believes they can sell the weirdo G1X II for 799,-  ::) :P  ... that's why folks still buy DSLRs like Canon Rebels and Nikon D3xxx/5xxx. Each time with a "brand new" 18-55 kit zoom. :-)

So it was the right conclusion then.  Or does :-) mean you're writing the opposite of what you mean?

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 01:58:05 AM »

At least a minority doesn't get a new kit lens with every body. A 24-70/105, 70-200, the odd prime paired with successively a 5D, 5D2, 5D3 and you're about to end up in the 1.5 lenses/body-group quite fast. And then you have 3rd party lenses, Canon wouldn't include those in the announcement. ;)

mustafa

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 07:44:06 AM »

At least a minority doesn't get a new kit lens with every body. A 24-70/105, 70-200, the odd prime paired with successively a 5D, 5D2, 5D3 and you're about to end up in the 1.5 lenses/body-group quite fast. And then you have 3rd party lenses, Canon wouldn't include those in the announcement. ;)

But on the other hand I can't be the only one with two EOS bodies and eight EF/EF-S lenses.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 08:11:33 AM »
But on the other hand I can't be the only one with two EOS bodies and eight EF/EF-S lenses.

You're not!  Which is why people on this forum are not representative of the typical EOS users.

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 08:20:54 AM »

Depends on the timeframe - That "100-400 still MK I" I had served together with about 5 generations of bodies, the same with the 17-50/24-70/70-200 and some of the primes. Thats less then one lens sold for each body. ;) To get a decent ratio of bought first hand/owned and not just currently used equipment most people would have to keep tons of never used lenses around - if only because they have vastly different service durations.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2014, 09:38:42 AM »

You're not!  Which is why people on this forum are not representative of the typical EOS users.

DARN! I have 2 bodies and 9 lenses.... I have to sell one off to be "normal"....
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2014, 09:38:42 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2014, 10:36:06 AM »

DARN! I have 2 bodies and 9 lenses.... I have to sell one off to be "normal"....

I have 2 bodies and 14 lenses... I'm ok being abnormal.   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

mustafa

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2014, 11:50:25 AM »

I have 2 bodies and 14 lenses... I'm ok being abnormal.   ;)

The point I'm labouring to make is that if the average EOS owner owns only 1.4 Canon lenses, then the opportunity for Canon is surely to sell them more.  This may require better promotion and/or more aggressive pricing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2014, 11:50:25 AM »