December 22, 2014, 10:17:29 PM

Author Topic: Cinema EOS C200 & C400 at NAB? [CR1]  (Read 4936 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Cinema EOS C200 & C400 at NAB? [CR1]
« on: March 28, 2014, 10:45:43 AM »

EOSHD has posted about the possibility of an EOS C200 and EOS C400 for NAB 2014 in April.

According to EOSHD’s source, Canon will introduce the Cinema EOS C200 as a new entry level 4K camera, and the semi-pro Cinema EOS C400 sitting under the EOS C500.

CR’s Take

We have it from pretty good sources that Canon is announcing a few things, but not any cameras. However, there’s always a possibility that Canon has kept the existence of a C200 & C400 to a very small and select group of people and the other goodies are for a broader audience.

We’ve heard absolutely nothing about a C200 and C400, however that doesn’t remove the possibility of their existence, as this site isn’t the first place cinema people go.

The other possibility is these cameras could receive “development announcement” status and wouldn’t be part of the regular product announcement process.

Source: [EOSHD]

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Cinema EOS C200 & C400 at NAB? [CR1]
« on: March 28, 2014, 10:45:43 AM »

IWLP

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Cinema EOS C200 & C400 at NAB? [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 12:17:07 PM »
The biggest problem I have with this is the 200 cited as "a new entry-level 4K camera." The c100 was quite neutered in a number of ways compared to the 300, and I can't imagine Canon taking that big of a step on the lowest end of the line.

I'm really hoping for an upgraded C100, but with the recent dual-pixel AF firmware update, the timing would be odd to me to hard announce a new camera a couple months after that.

Of course, maybe the problem here is that I'm actually thinking about what Canon will do, which generally seems to yield less-than-realistic results.
I'm *this* close to switching to Nikon! I swear - I'll do it! Maybe next month, or in a week, or when they release the D ... oh, look a shiny thing!

leGreve

• EOS M2
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • View Profile
    • leGreve Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 12:20:17 PM »
How peculiar... I had one of those nights where all you dream about is work.... And in yesterdays dream I was working on a C400....
Gotta love syncronicity... :-)
5D III -  Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ~ 24-70 2.8L II ~ 70-200 2.8L II IS USM ~ 100 2.8L IS USM Macro ~ 16-35 2.8L II ~ Canon Extender 2x III

schmidtfilme

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Photographer / Documentary Filmmaker
    • View Profile
    • 35photo
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 01:29:11 PM »
What I am personally hoping for is a camera that does video and pictures better together in one. Therefore it should have an OLED viewfinder of high quality. At the moment my 5DM3 is still the best for this but I really don't like the big Zacuto Z-Finder that I have to use in order to make it useable for video. Maybe one day...

5D Mark III
17-40/24-105/70-200 all f4

transpo1

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 02:47:20 PM »
This rumor sounds too good to be true for us video folks, but let's see what the future holds...

One thing is if the C200 is real and is another AVCHD camera, I'll throw something out the window. --> Pro Res or MXF, please  :)

Tugela

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 04:48:49 PM »
So, basically, what you guys are saying is that they can't develop a new camera since it might interfere with the sales of their old obsolete camera?

When is it ok to develop a new camera? two thousand years from now?

Surely it makes more sense to produce a new modern camera that replaces the old obsolete camera? And do it right now.

Tugela

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 05:20:47 PM »
This rumor sounds too good to be true for us video folks, but let's see what the future holds...

One thing is if the C200 is real and is another AVCHD camera, I'll throw something out the window. --> Pro Res or MXF, please  :)

Why would Canon develop a new camera that is obsolete compared to competitors new cameras? I do not think that would happen.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 05:20:47 PM »

mkabi

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 07:52:59 PM »

Why would Canon develop a new camera that is obsolete compared to competitors new cameras? I do not think that would happen.

Because they don't want to create something like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiniDisc
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415014,00.asp

Or something like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaserDisc
The Last Laserdisc: Are LaserDisc Players the way of the future? (1992)

The majority has not bought into 4K yet.
Only the minority has bought into it, the Cinema industry and the independent filmmaker crowd does not constitute the majority.

But its the same as how the majority did not buy into the MiniDisc or the LaserDisc, I doubt you even remember those disc formats (thats how minor it was).
Canon 7D - EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L, EF - 20mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.0, Custom Cine 50mm & Custom Cine 35mm

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 09:29:06 PM »
Or something like this:
Only the minority has bought into it, the Cinema industry and the independent filmmaker crowd does not constitute the majority.
But its the same as how the majority did not buy into the MiniDisc or the LaserDisc, I doubt you even remember those disc formats (thats how minor it was).
I walked into a time machine, while watching this 1992 report. It gives us a lesson, showing that not just have the best picture possible, but it takes practicality and convenience. I hear people talking about how 4K will revolutionize the market, but one must admit that the BluRay does not actually replaced the DVD, and maybe it will never happen. Why? Simply because the BluRay burner appliance (domestic model) is far from being popular. I have a full HD TV and a BluRay player, but have not bought any BluRay disc yet.

Movie producers should invest in 4K, but nothing changes for the consumer as a domestic media that support 4K does not exist, offering practicality and convenient cost.

Tugela

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 12:01:37 AM »

Or something like this:

High end cameras are not marketed to your "majority", they are marketed to people who have bought into 4k already. No one is saying that they are going to start selling $300 cameras with 4k. But just because people who buy $300 cameras don't know what 4k is, does NOT mean that people who buy $2000 cameras don't either.

Tugela

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 12:17:38 AM »
And, for those still living in the stone age who think that 4K is not for the masses, what is this then?

http://www.shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/HX-A500H

A $399 camera that shoots 4K. And who is it directed at? No less than the masses themselves!!

Some of you guys need to catch up with the modern world.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 12:42:23 AM »

But that is everyone that Canon would want to target a 4K Cinema EOS camera to! :)

Midphase

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 02:03:32 AM »
Whatever Canon announces at NAB, it will likely be way more expensive than everyone thinks it should be, and way underpowered compared to the competition....weirdly enough it will sell like hotcakes!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 02:03:32 AM »

syder

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 04:22:47 AM »
So, basically, what you guys are saying is that they can't develop a new camera since it might interfere with the sales of their old obsolete camera?

Surely it makes more sense to produce a new modern camera that replaces the old obsolete camera? And do it right now.

Oh right... So the non-4k C300 is obsolete. Perhaps you should tell the oscar nominated camera crews who were using it as a B cam on films nominated for best film and best cinmeatography.

And come to think of it, the Alexa isn't 4k so that must also be obsolete. Despite being the most popular camera for both film and tv.

But hey, I'm sure you make far better films and so need cutting edge gear unlike those clueless noobs.

Don Haines

• also on superhero vacation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 08:01:59 AM »

And that's why Canon will not put touch screens on a Rebel, why the 6D does not have built in GPS or WiFi, why the digic6 was not introduced in a P/S camera, and why dual pixel did not debut in the 70D. :) if they were to do this it would cut into sales of the 1DX! We will conveniently forget that for every 1DX they sell, thousands of Rebels are sold...

New tech debuts when it is ready. This bit about interfering with sales of a "higher end" camera is garbage. If it were true then it would be only the top end cameras that introduce new technology.... Yet the opposite is true. Top end cameras do not get new tech until it is tried and true.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 08:01:59 AM »