November 26, 2014, 10:16:57 PM

Author Topic: Reasons to get a ST-E3-RT?  (Read 2136 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: Reasons to get a ST-E3-RT?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 12:53:34 PM »
Ugh? I just got the YN-E3-RT and you nearly never can use it with the central AF point as it projects the red stripes right next to the point. Multipoint af works better, but alas, is also useless with the 6d's mediocre outer af points. I'm really puzzled, am I doing something wrong here?

Probably the projection grid in your YN-E3-RT is misaligned.  Can you return/exchange it?

FWIW, my OEM Canon ST-E3-RT has no problems with a misaligned AF assist grid.   :P :P :P

I don't think there is an alignment spec at Yongnuo, it goes where it fits, if it doesn't fit push it harder seems to be the QC ethic.

I blow hot and cold on it, it does some stuff well but the truth is at $100 difference you really can see where that $100 goes and most people would be far better off getting the $100 more expensive ST-E3-RT.
Never look down on anybody, unless you are helping them up.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 12:53:34 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 01:02:40 PM »
Probably the projection grid in your YN-E3-RT is misaligned.  Can you return/exchange it?
I don't think there is an alignment spec at Yongnuo, it goes where it fits, if it doesn't fit push it harder seems to be the QC ethic.

Doh, I can get it exchanged or even returned and I still would like the Yn because of the af assist if it works.

Edit: I've found the cause, it's an issue on all Yn units, read more about it in the neighboring thread: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=18534.msg385243#msg385243
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:32:11 PM by Marsu42 »

JonAustin

• Canon 70D
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 03:17:53 PM »
Without AF assist ST-e3 is useless for me. Don't see any reason to buy it.

Same here. I have 4 600's, because I do fair amount of in-studio portraiture with two lights on the subject and one on the background. (The 4th 600 is the non-firing master.) That said, the camera / master flash are tripod-mounted, so weight and balance are non-issues.

I would only consider purchasing an ST-E3-RT if I could get it for a "steal."
Photographic equipment

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 05:29:54 PM »

Same here. I have 4 600's, because I do fair amount of in-studio portraiture with two lights on the subject and one on the background. (The 4th 600 is the non-firing master.) That said, the camera / master flash are tripod-mounted, so weight and balance are non-issues.

Then why is your studio so dark AF doesn't work? There is absolutely no need for that what so ever, having said that I struggle with the ST-E3-RT when tripod mounted sometimes as all the screen and controls are on the top!
Never look down on anybody, unless you are helping them up.

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 07:54:05 PM »
Must be a very dark studio... mood lighting for shoots?  ???

Yeah, when the panel is pointing somewhere else and not visible, it's really great to have speedlite control through the LCD.
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

JonAustin

• Canon 70D
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 11:20:31 PM »

Then why is your studio so dark AF doesn't work? There is absolutely no need for that what so ever...

Really? How can you know that? Do you say "always" and "never" much?

I could possibly AF with the ST-E3-RT in the studio in question. But I chose to spend the extra $$ for a 4th 600, instead, to have the AF assist when needed, as well as the additional versatility of a 4th flash.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:23:51 PM by JonAustin »
Photographic equipment

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 01:00:38 AM »

At the time I felt the same way.  I "stole" mine for ~$150, and won't likely ever go back to 600s as master.

It's possible I don't push my AF hard enough.  I haven't needed AF assist as I don't have any problems locking focus in low to dim light.
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 01:00:38 AM »