October 22, 2014, 01:03:31 AM

Author Topic: Travel charger for Canon LP-E4N battery  (Read 1838 times)

Virgil Quick

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Travel charger for Canon LP-E4N battery
« on: March 30, 2014, 04:42:13 PM »
The Canon LC-E4N battery charger that comes as standard equipment with the 1D-X is rather large and difficult to pack for long trips.  Has anyone found a smaller alternative that works safely with LP-E4N batteries?

canon rumors FORUM

Travel charger for Canon LP-E4N battery
« on: March 30, 2014, 04:42:13 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Travel charger for Canon LP-E4N battery
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 04:45:34 PM »
The big charger is why I bought a second LP-E4N for shorter trips (I've never needed an extra battery on a single day outing). 

I'd be interested in a more portable charger for longer trips.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 05:02:15 PM »
Don't try a "universal charger" like the one they sell at "The Source".... I have a friend who got one for her SX-40.... and it didn't work.... I tried it on my LP-E6's.... and it didn't work... she gave it to anther friend with a Rebel and it didn't work... and the last person in our group had a Nikon p/s and it worked for her...

Moral of the story, universal chargers aren't....

The best camera is the one in your hands

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 02:04:48 PM »
Don't try a "universal charger" like the one they sell at "The Source".... I have a friend who got one for her SX-40.... and it didn't work.... I tried it on my LP-E6's.... and it didn't work... she gave it to anther friend with a Rebel and it didn't work... and the last person in our group had a Nikon p/s and it worked for her...

Moral of the story, universal chargers aren't....

Not surprised.  Jack of all trades, master of none (actually cann't make any work)

Halfrack

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 06:41:26 PM »
Car charger an option?

Thanks, but no. The car charger just replaces the AC cord as a way to power the battery charger itself. The issue is that, uike the compact charger for many other batteries, the 1-series dual battery charger is the size of a paperback novel.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 07:02:44 PM »
In a perfect world the batteries would be like the ones for a device at work: The wall-wart plugs into a charging base which can charge two batteries, or directly into one to charge it and power the device.  In the meantime, we have the current (sorry) debacle.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 07:02:44 PM »

WillThompson

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 11:41:57 PM »
The Canon LC-E4N battery charger that comes as standard equipment with the 1D-X is rather large and difficult to pack for long trips.  Has anyone found a smaller alternative that works safely with LP-E4N batteries?

It is called an inverter, 12 VDC to 110 VAC.
Will T.

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 02:22:51 AM »
i've used an LC-E4 charger from China via ebay which is half the size and works fine for 1Ds batteries, but I've only used occasionally and therefore can't comment on longer term use. Funnily enough, I tend to drag 2 chargers wherever I travel, and the chinese clone is only used when I'm really tight on luggage (but I still take a Canon)

Is the LC-E4N "compatible" with LC-E4 ?

Just search for LC-E4 battery charger if you're interested...
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 02:53:44 AM »
I travel on a lot of and have always wondered why Canon did not make a one battery charger (even if only to buy as an accessory). I use more than one battery a day quite frequently, but would be more than happy with a one battery charger if they made one. As it is now, I just travel with the original.

No third party charger is ever going anywhere near my Canon batteries.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 05:04:41 AM »
Hi Will.
Correct, but these guys are looking for a smaller charger (transformer) ie reducing mains 110-240 Volt ac supply to battery voltage 12V dc.

Unless I've missed your point?

Cheers Graham.

It is called an inverter, 12 VDC to 110 VAC.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 02:39:27 PM »
I haven't found one for my LP-E4's and after the dismal experiences I had with even good quality third party chargers for my old 1 series batteries, I would be exceptionally wary if I did.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 05:27:52 PM »
I travel on a lot of and have always wondered why Canon did not make a one battery charger (even if only to buy as an accessory). I use more than one battery a day quite frequently, but would be more than happy with a one battery charger if they made one. As it is now, I just travel with the original.

I do agree, and would have purchased one like you if Canon did it as a backup. Any long trip (>1 week) then I always take 2 chargers, so two singles or a single n double would be ideal.

Not to challenge, more to understand, but why not? Do you not use 3rd party batteries?

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever opened the brick which Canon supplies? I always got the impression that it's 80% empty inside...
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 05:27:52 PM »

Halfrack

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 07:46:34 PM »
Car charger an option?

Thanks, but no. The car charger just replaces the AC cord as a way to power the battery charger itself. The issue is that, uike the compact charger for many other batteries, the 1-series dual battery charger is the size of a paperback novel.

Oops, I seem to have overlooked the added requirement of the base unit anyway.  A proper 12v charger would be nice and small.  I'm kind of disappointed that a third party like Targus doesn't make a model that does laptop and camera charging.  Even a quasi-DC bus design that you can put 2-3 'ends' on  (laptop, camera, phone, etc). 
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 10:50:41 AM »

+1000

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 10:50:41 AM »