October 23, 2014, 02:07:50 PM

Author Topic: Travel charger for Canon LP-E4N battery  (Read 1846 times)

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
Re: Travel charger for Canon LP-E4N battery
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 11:35:58 AM »
I travel on a lot of and have always wondered why Canon did not make a one battery charger (even if only to buy as an accessory). I use more than one battery a day quite frequently, but would be more than happy with a one battery charger if they made one. As it is now, I just travel with the original.

No third party charger is ever going anywhere near my Canon batteries.

+1000
+1001 and I'm sure the reason Targus & co. aren't making any aftermarket accessories is because it's such a tiny market.  1D bodies make up such a small number of the overall sales that there's little incentive to create one. 

the 1-series dual battery charger is the size of a paperback novel.
I knew it was going to be big, but I was still shocked when I pulled it out of the box.  Damn that thing is huge.  It's definitely easier to bring 1 or 2 extra batteries instead of the charger.  I'm still debating on purchasing a second battery.  I'll probably wait until I have the need because my 5DIII will always serve as a back up.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 11:35:58 AM »

LookingThroughMyLens81

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 09:08:13 AM »
Don't try a "universal charger" like the one they sell at "The Source".... I have a friend who got one for her SX-40.... and it didn't work.... I tried it on my LP-E6's.... and it didn't work... she gave it to anther friend with a Rebel and it didn't work... and the last person in our group had a Nikon p/s and it worked for her...

Moral of the story, universal chargers aren't....

Canon has changed the battery chips to make them incompatible with third-party chargers and third-party batteries won't work with the latest design of Canon chargers either. Nikon has done the same thing for the past several years. The only solution is multiple battery packs.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »
I can image a travel charger where the power supply is outside the charging unit - there are many wall (120/240V) to 12V power supplies.  The output side is a round/cylindrical plug.  Could be a common with a AA charger, ...

Attached to batter would be a much smaller unit - connection to the LP-E4(N) battery and a bit logic necessary.  The latter unit I suspect would be no larger than 1 x 1 x 2 inches.  If I knew enough electronics I would find an old charger and take it apart to see if this would be possible.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »