July 28, 2014, 05:40:44 PM

Author Topic: Help on what to bring to Krabi...  (Read 2618 times)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
Help on what to bring to Krabi...
« on: March 31, 2014, 02:12:51 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krabi

I'm thinking of bringing just 2 or 3 lens along with my 6D.  Initially, I've thought of just bringing the 24-105L + 50mm F1.8.  I want to be as light as possible.  Last time I went to Langkawi, I brought the 17-40, 28mm and 50mm but found a little bit wanting more length.  Side note, wife is bringing a G11 with underwater case...

Canon 24-105L F4
Canon 17-40L F4
Canon 28mm F1.8
Canon 50mm F1.8 II
Canon 100mm F2.8 (macro)
Canon 70-300L
Canon 70-200L F4

Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

Help on what to bring to Krabi...
« on: March 31, 2014, 02:12:51 AM »

Arctic Photo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Help on what to bring to Krabi...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 06:32:32 AM »
Hi,

I've been to Langkawi several times when we lived in SEA., not yet to Krabi but I can't imagine it's much different and I know many of my countrymen (Swedish) loves Krabi.

Light travel go with the 24-105 and the 50 1.8 for low light. I'd add the 100mm Macro for portraits and off course all flowers, cool bugs and critters one might find.

Enjoy!

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 09:46:21 PM »
I love Krabi, but depending on what you are looking for I would also suggest Koh Lanta (which you get to from Krabi airport - 3 hours and two ferries away). On Koh Lanta my favourite beach is Kantiang Bay, which is the home of one amazing 5-star resort (Pimalai) and some really cool smaller hotels and a bar. What is great about this beach is how few people there are, plus you can head out diving (depending on the month) from there too.

When will you be there?

Anyway, back to photography!

Of the lenses you mention, I would suggest you take these three:

Canon 17-40L F4
Canon 50mm F1.8 II
Canon 70-300L

Have a safe and enjoyable trip, krub!

1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 01:36:01 PM »
I love Krabi, but depending on what you are looking for I would also suggest Koh Lanta (which you get to from Krabi airport - 3 hours and two ferries away). On Koh Lanta my favourite beach is Kantiang Bay, which is the home of one amazing 5-star resort (Pimalai) and some really cool smaller hotels and a bar. What is great about this beach is how few people there are, plus you can head out diving (depending on the month) from there too.

When will you be there?

Anyway, back to photography!

Of the lenses you mention, I would suggest you take these three:

Canon 17-40L F4
Canon 50mm F1.8 II
Canon 70-300L

Have a safe and enjoyable trip, krub!

We'll be staying in aonangphupetra resort.  Thanks for your suggestions.  I'll post some photos once I'm back.  We're going there this May 1-4.  We're excited already.  :)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 01:44:38 PM »
Hi,

I've been to Langkawi several times when we lived in SEA., not yet to Krabi but I can't imagine it's much different and I know many of my countrymen (Swedish) loves Krabi.

Light travel go with the 24-105 and the 50 1.8 for low light. I'd add the 100mm Macro for portraits and off course all flowers, cool bugs and critters one might find.

Enjoy!

I brought very much the same thing last time we went there but instead of the 24-105, I brought a 28, a 50 and the 100mm.  Good enough but not wide enough and not long enough.  :(  I didn't get any pictures of those eagles... One thing I miss when I moved to FF is that lenses are a pain to bring.  When I was using APS-C, I only need 3 light lenses, 18-55, 55-250, and a 28.  Of course, IQ-wise, I don't miss any of it.  ;D

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 08:53:05 PM »
We'll be staying in aonangphupetra resort.  Thanks for your suggestions.  I'll post some photos once I'm back.  We're going there this May 1-4.  We're excited already.  :)

I spend an awful lot of time in Thailand. If you can, and like quiet, but beautiful beaches, then please do try to get to Kantiang Bay on Koh Lanta. It is in Krabi, but takes about 3 hours to get to from the airport.

Enjoy your time there!  ;D
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

t.light

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 10:44:05 PM »
I had spend some month in the area. Many interesting spots. Few days are definitively not enough.
Canon 17-40L F4
Canon 50mm F1.8 II
Canon 70-300L
I would also choose these lenses.

and btw....:-)
Greetings from Ao Nang!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 10:44:05 PM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 03:18:08 AM »
I had spend some month in the area. Many interesting spots. Few days are definitively not enough.
Canon 17-40L F4
Canon 50mm F1.8 II
Canon 70-300L
I would also choose these lenses.

and btw....:-)
Greetings from Ao Nang!!!

Thanks a lot!   ;)

Tyroop

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 04:38:22 AM »
Without knowing what your photographic interests are it's difficult to suggest lenses.  The destination alone isn't enough.  Krabi is a pretty province and I would definitely recommend something wide for landscapes and seascapes - from your list I'd take the 17-40 with a full frame body.  I took a 10-22 with a 1.6 crop body.

If you like birds and wildlife there is quite a lot in that area and a long lens would be useful.  For example, Krabi is one of the few places where birders can get to see Gurney's Pittas.  You should take a boat tour in the mangroves.  I took a 400 f/5.6L last time I went to Krabi and used it quite a lot.  The 70-300L in your list should be ideal.

Those two lenses should suffice.  With the 6D's low light capabilities you shouldn't need a fast lens.  A possible third lens would be the 85mm f/1.8 (not in your list).  It's small, light and great for portraits.  If you also take an extension tube you can get great macro shots with the 85mm and this combo is lighter than the 100mm f/2.8L.

I always find it interesting to hear which places in Thailand people who don't live in Thailand recommend to others.  These are generally the places that I avoid.  It is also an idea to avoid referring to Krabi as Crabby.  The Thai pronunciation is quite different.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 10:11:17 PM »
Without knowing what your photographic interests are it's difficult to suggest lenses.  The destination alone isn't enough.  Krabi is a pretty province and I would definitely recommend something wide for landscapes and seascapes - from your list I'd take the 17-40 with a full frame body.  I took a 10-22 with a 1.6 crop body.

If you like birds and wildlife there is quite a lot in that area and a long lens would be useful.  For example, Krabi is one of the few places where birders can get to see Gurney's Pittas.  You should take a boat tour in the mangroves.  I took a 400 f/5.6L last time I went to Krabi and used it quite a lot.  The 70-300L in your list should be ideal.

Those two lenses should suffice.  With the 6D's low light capabilities you shouldn't need a fast lens.  A possible third lens would be the 85mm f/1.8 (not in your list).  It's small, light and great for portraits.  If you also take an extension tube you can get great macro shots with the 85mm and this combo is lighter than the 100mm f/2.8L.

I always find it interesting to hear which places in Thailand people who don't live in Thailand recommend to others.  These are generally the places that I avoid.  It is also an idea to avoid referring to Krabi as Crabby.  The Thai pronunciation is quite different.

If you look at my flickr pics, most of what I've taken are landscape, macro and portraits.  Thanks for the advice.  yes, I've been lusting for an 85mm F1.8 since but can't justify it IQ-wise due to my 100mm F2.8 USM non-L and the 24-105L.  Using the 24-105L, I find that it's not hard to get some bokehlicious pic if you just know how to use the lens.  Anyway, thanks man.  I'll see if I can get an extension tube for my 50mm... It might be fun though I really hate leaving that 100mm macro.  It's my favorite lens.  :)

Here's one taken by the 24-105L. 

TexasBadger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 02:41:49 AM »
Enough already.  Next we will have to deal with...

I am going to the bathroom to poop.  What should I bring?
5DC, 5D3, Elan7, G12, 28 1.8, 50 1.8 II, 85 1.8 USM, 135 2.0 L, 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 2.8 L, 560 EX, 580 EX II (2) --- all Canon.

Arctic Photo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 03:42:10 AM »

Bring your phone so you can shoot a couple of selfies and post instantly  ;D

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 12:55:48 AM »

Wow!  I didn't realize there are still these kinds of people in the forum.  Did you just have a very bad day?  Anyway, peace to you sir.  There's no need to be rude.  An honest inquiry doesn't hurt anybody.  If you don't like it, then move on to the next thread.  No one is forcing you to read or comment.

Anyway, thanks to those who are very much willing to give their free advice.  You are all very much appreciated.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 12:55:48 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 12:57:41 AM »

+1.  Why not give us something else to talk about? I think he just had a bad day or maybe pissed so much.

Arctic Photo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 03:02:17 AM »

+1.  Why not give us something else to talk about? I think he just had a bad day or maybe pissed so much.

;)
Well I hope you'll have a great trip. I'm going back to SEA in a week, going with my daughter to visit friends over Easter. I have missed it very much. Your part of the world is my second home, I've lived down there quite a few years and will always come back.

Btw, I am bringing three primes only this time. I have a portrait session coming up there with a model I've worked with before. Normally I like zooms but I want to try something different this time. I'm also bringing light gear. I want to create my version of some shots that Kernuak posted in the B&W thread here.

Have fun!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 03:02:17 AM »