November 22, 2014, 04:11:39 AM

Author Topic: Rain Photos - Wet Camera Photos/Stories  (Read 9977 times)

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: Rain Photos - Wet Camera Photos/Stories
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 06:46:02 AM »
I was taking shots about an hour ago, of a nice Garden Orb spider setting up for the night in my garden. Camera on a tripod, speedlite on a gorillapod on the ground, directly underneath pointing upwards so it didn't fog the shot or light the background.
Then I decided the web would show up better if it were wet, so I grabbed a mist-spray-bottle from the kitchen and sprayed it everywhere to dew-up the web. Took nearly half the bottle until it looked good.
Then took the whole lot inside, and took this shot of the speedlite. 430EX isn't sealed is it? oops.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 06:46:02 AM »

Tim Adams

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 09:05:35 AM »
Grand Am, Road America.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 08:11:20 PM »
Biggest quick-downpour here that I can ever remember. Was driving when the worst of it hit, wipers couldn't go any faster and we still couldn't see so were only doing 40km/h.

When I got home, I couldn't *not* go out in the rain to see how the neighbourhood was faring. Kept my camera inside my arctic-parka as much as I could, pointing downwards because the EFs 15-85 isn't sealed. Still, the lens held up fairly well, but the joystick 'right' didn't work once I got it inside. Took the lens off, battery and CF card out, blew around the joystick as much as I could and left it. After a while, moving the joystick right worked as if I were pressing it in the centre. Then a few hours later it all worked perfectly fine again.
Nothing wrong with the 15-85 at all, I zoomed in/out and wiped a few times to get all the water away from the moving barrels, it's perfectly fine now.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

kitaoka

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2011, 09:12:13 PM »
Rain? So what!

So lets see some of these photos taken in the rain.  Seriously.  If you keep on shooting when it starts to rain, lets see some of those photos.

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 12:16:03 AM »
I'm away from my computer or I would post some of the last photos taken with my XSi in the rain on the coast of Oregon.  The shutter froze up on it later that night (just got it back after a $200 round trip to canon and all seems well again).

However, I had to post to applaud kitaoka on the awesome street photos!  Seriously compelling shots!

kitaoka

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 02:03:44 AM »
Thank you friedmud for your kind words. My first love is street shooting, but alas I have little time to be out there anymore.

jerome2710

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 05:57:40 AM »
I once got my 16-35mm mk II killed during a trip into a Thai jungle.
It was holding a B&W MRC UV SLIM filter, but the humidity was SO high, it killed quite a few parts in it..
6D, 2x 450D + grip, 16-35 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L, 50 f1.8, 580EX-II + Pocket Wizards

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 05:57:40 AM »

handsomerob

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 11:10:06 AM »
Nice captures, thx for sharing. I like umbrellas.jpg ;)

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 01:00:38 PM »
Kitaoka, nice capture with the umbrella, you are giving me the urge to shoot in the rain!  Only problem is now is the snow season up north over here  :D
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

unruled

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 02:46:47 PM »
It was holding a B&W MRC UV SLIM filter, but the humidity was SO high, it killed quite a few parts in it..

sometimes these things failing appears so random. I spent 2 months in thailand and surrounding countries with my 40d and tamron 17-50, neither which are sealed and I had noissues at all. Use them in rain often actually.

kitaoka

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 03:28:20 AM »
Thank you.

niccyboy

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 04:42:51 AM »

sometimes these things failing appears so random. I spent 2 months in thailand and surrounding countries with my 40d and tamron 17-50, neither which are sealed and I had noissues at all. Use them in rain often actually.

I agree, i worked in Chang Mai and Bangkok for a long time with my whole kit and never had problems.

I had a few in Berlin last winter going from shooting in the snow back to my apartment and the temperature change caused a lot of condensation.... but never had one fail.

Flake

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 05:58:31 AM »
Rain shots are good, but it's very difficult to catch the rain in the shot, backlighting with bright sunlight will do it, flash hasn't got a chance, and if you do want to light it then you need some really powerful kit.  Adding the rain back in post production works really well, and will reproduce what you actually saw, it also looks to the eye more natural than a shot with loads of  splashes  & no rain.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 05:58:31 AM »

nismohks

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 07:47:29 AM »

rainy days. by doritouge, on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 07:47:29 AM »