December 22, 2014, 11:28:03 AM

Author Topic: How To Water Proof?  (Read 2083 times)

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
How To Water Proof?
« on: April 02, 2014, 07:50:09 AM »
I'm thinking about going on a couple of kayak excursions of the streams that cross the forested areas near where I live.  A couple of them are well known kayaking destinations.  Although I was quite an experienced canoer in my youth, I've never handled a kayak before and I know that even for experienced kayakers, an occasional capsize is not uncommon in some of the narrow passages where a run in with a submerged stump or overhanging tree limb can catch you up.  One of my main objectives of course is to do some photography along the way.

My question is how to stow my gear when it's not in use so that in the event of a capsize, it stays perfectly dry.  I would need some sort of water tight container that could hold a 5D III body, 70-200, and 24-70 lenses, but be small enough to not take up the whole boat.

Any suggestions?

canon rumors FORUM

How To Water Proof?
« on: April 02, 2014, 07:50:09 AM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • also on superhero vacation
    • View Profile
Re: How To Water Proof?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 09:27:43 AM »
I'm thinking about going on a couple of kayak excursions of the streams that cross the forested areas near where I live.  A couple of them are well known kayaking destinations.  Although I was quite an experienced canoer in my youth, I've never handled a kayak before and I know that even for experienced kayakers, an occasional capsize is not uncommon in some of the narrow passages where a run in with a submerged stump or overhanging tree limb can catch you up.  One of my main objectives of course is to do some photography along the way.

My question is how to stow my gear when it's not in use so that in the event of a capsize, it stays perfectly dry.  I would need some sort of water tight container that could hold a 5D III body, 70-200, and 24-70 lenses, but be small enough to not take up the whole boat.

Any suggestions?
It is hard to beat a pelican case for water resistance, but they are particularly awkward to carry in a kayak. One big enough for your body and lens will not fit into the hatches of a sea kayak and for a river kayak... forget it!

You could try a "dry bag". You can find them at just about any outdoors store. Get a heavy duty one, they are a lot tougher than the lightweight hiking ones. put in a towel for padding and throw in a few desicant packs "just in case" and you can keep it in the cockpit with you.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/sealline/dry-bags/ecosee-bag/product

I use a 5L one for my SX-50 and a 10L one for my DSLR
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:41:06 AM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 09:58:54 AM »
You could try a "dry bag". You can find them at just about any outdoors store. Get a heavy duty one, they are a lot tougher than the lightweight hiking ones. put in a towel for padding and throw in a few desicant packs "just in case" and you can keep it in the cockpit with you.

I use a 5L one for my SX-50 and a 10L one for my DSLR

I agree. Dry bags such as those are really terrific. They even have back pack varieties.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Pakneh

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 11:30:48 AM »
I have brought my DSLRs on two Canoe trips and in both cases kept them safe with the earlier recommended dry cases. None the less I was constantly worried about my equipment's fate if the worst should happen. I have used an Outex case twice, once during a rain storm during a Fishing Tournament in October and during a snorkel adventure in Costa Rica. The air in the Outex case gave my 7D some buoyancy, so I was not worried it would sink and although there was a minor....wee bead or two of water in the case after a half hour paddling around in salt water, I like the option of being able to take photos in nearly any environment. 

I'd recommend an Outex case for the main camera body and lens for that absolutely no worries your gear will get wet option while you are paddling in a canoe feeling.

http://www.outex.com/
Canon 7d|Sigma 17-50mm OS|Tamron 70-200mm VC| Tamron 90mm Macro VC|

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 12:44:18 PM »
Either do it right or be prepared for the worst.

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »
Do you have a recommended approach other than those already suggested that you consider to be the "right" way?

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • also on superhero vacation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 03:29:34 PM »
Do you have a recommended approach other than those already suggested that you consider to be the "right" way?
And keep in mind, you are not after the best solution, you are after the best solution that will fit into a kayak.....

There are also deck bags that you can bungie onto the top of your kayak.... but the seal isn't as good as a dry bag. They are more convenient though...

I won't be home until late tonight, but when I do, I'll try to remember to post some photos of various solutions... expect to see them tomorrow evening.

BTW... are you talking about a sea kayak or a river kayak?

The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 03:29:34 PM »

jhpeterson

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 03:34:45 PM »
As one who has made a career photographing from water, I know from costly experience there is no way to be "totally waterproof". But, you can vastly improve your odds if you take a few precautions.
The hard plastic case (Pelican or similar) is one of the best solutions, but, as pointed out, is probably too bulky to be useful when kayaking. Same goes for what I usually use, a large cooler, in which I fit two or three bodies and a few long lenses.
I also kayak quite a bit and, when I do, I use a dry bag. While it would be smaller than a case, I'd make sure it was large enough that your equipment could be quickly taken out and stowed inside. (Not sure what is worse, missing that important shot because you didn't get to your camera fast enough or ruining it because you couldn't put it back before the big splash.)
Before you set out, I would make certain that your dry bag is truly dry. I'd run a test each time you use it, without any gear, just to make sure the all the seams hold and there are no pinhole leaks. It might have worked fine the last time, but setting the bag down on a rough surface, like rocks or gravel, even a small piece of class hiding in what you thought was a safe spot, can cause a puncture (likely one you can't see, but will still let water in).  Also, avoid quick changes of temperature, as taking the bag from warm to cold, or even cold to warm, yields condensation.
Just to be extra safe, carry a towel in the bag as well, and use it to wipe up any moisture before it has a chance to find its way to your gear.
And, one more thing, make sure your bag is well-sealed, so give it at least three turns.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 03:37:07 PM by jhpeterson »
1D iii (x2), 1DS iii (x3), 6D, 16-35L ii, 24-105L, 70-200L IS ii, 24/3.5 TS-E, 40/2.8 STM, 50/2.5, 100/2.8L IS, 135/2L, 300/2.8L, 500/4L IS, 430EX II, EF 1.4x ii, EF 2x iii

rowancastle

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 04:30:39 PM »
Hi,

I do a lot of trekking and have found the best solutions for keeping camera gear absolutely dry is to use Beta Shell cases for your lenses (see www.betashell.com for info) and to use the large Wanganui case from aquapac: http://store.aquapac.net/explore-product-range/waterproof-ipad-laptop-cases/large-whanganui-fits-ipads-668.html to store your DSLR. I have found that if I remove any tripod mount, I can even keep my 5D Mk III in the wanganui pouch with a 24-105L or 16-35L II mounted on the camera.

All of these products will survive submersion for several minutes if used in accordance with the instructions. For extra protection I put the betashell cases inside a kayak dry bag (in my case the dry bag is used as a rucksack liner). Hope that helps.
5D Mk III, 16-35 f/2.8 IIL, 24-105 f/4L, 100 f/2.8L Macro

nonac

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Marty Beck Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 04:47:33 PM »
I kayak and have a small pelican case just big enough for my camera and most used lens.  It rides between my legs in the kayak where I can get to it quickly.  I carry two other lenses in a dry bag in the hatch.  I rarely ever change lens, but I have them if needed and will stop to retrieve them and change them out.
5d Mark III, 7d Mark II, 24mm f/1.4L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 135 f/2L, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, EF 1.4x III

TexPhoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 06:26:37 PM »
All of the above are great ideas.  But consider just getting a waterproof camera, or a camera and enclosure.   If you are into sports/water/active lifestyle think how many more photos you will get with a good waterproof cameras.  Point and shoots, GoPro, mirrorless like the Nikon AW1.  Not asking you to give up the DSLR, just add to it. 

I have been shooting with a Canon G-12 in an enclosure but really like the Nikon AW1.

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 09:25:07 PM »
All great suggestions!  Thanks.

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 09:25:50 PM »
And keep in mind, you are not after the best solution, you are after the best solution that will fit into a kayak.....

There are also deck bags that you can bungie onto the top of your kayak.... but the seal isn't as good as a dry bag. They are more convenient though...

I won't be home until late tonight, but when I do, I'll try to remember to post some photos of various solutions... expect to see them tomorrow evening.

BTW... are you talking about a sea kayak or a river kayak?

River.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 09:25:50 PM »

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 09:33:53 PM »
As one who has made a career photographing from water, I know from costly experience there is no way to be "totally waterproof". But, you can vastly improve your odds if you take a few precautions.
The hard plastic case (Pelican or similar) is one of the best solutions, but, as pointed out, is probably too bulky to be useful when kayaking. Same goes for what I usually use, a large cooler, in which I fit two or three bodies and a few long lenses.
I also kayak quite a bit and, when I do, I use a dry bag. While it would be smaller than a case, I'd make sure it was large enough that your equipment could be quickly taken out and stowed inside. (Not sure what is worse, missing that important shot because you didn't get to your camera fast enough or ruining it because you couldn't put it back before the big splash.)
Before you set out, I would make certain that your dry bag is truly dry. I'd run a test each time you use it, without any gear, just to make sure the all the seams hold and there are no pinhole leaks. It might have worked fine the last time, but setting the bag down on a rough surface, like rocks or gravel, even a small piece of class hiding in what you thought was a safe spot, can cause a puncture (likely one you can't see, but will still let water in).  Also, avoid quick changes of temperature, as taking the bag from warm to cold, or even cold to warm, yields condensation.
Just to be extra safe, carry a towel in the bag as well, and use it to wipe up any moisture before it has a chance to find its way to your gear.
And, one more thing, make sure your bag is well-sealed, so give it at least three turns.

Many thanks!

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 09:34:14 PM »
Hi,

I do a lot of trekking and have found the best solutions for keeping camera gear absolutely dry is to use Beta Shell cases for your lenses (see www.betashell.com for info) and to use the large Wanganui case from aquapac: http://store.aquapac.net/explore-product-range/waterproof-ipad-laptop-cases/large-whanganui-fits-ipads-668.html to store your DSLR. I have found that if I remove any tripod mount, I can even keep my 5D Mk III in the wanganui pouch with a 24-105L or 16-35L II mounted on the camera.

All of these products will survive submersion for several minutes if used in accordance with the instructions. For extra protection I put the betashell cases inside a kayak dry bag (in my case the dry bag is used as a rucksack liner). Hope that helps.

Thank you!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 09:34:14 PM »