October 01, 2014, 12:56:12 PM

Author Topic: New 1DX review with AF info  (Read 3048 times)

kirispupis

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
New 1DX review with AF info
« on: October 31, 2011, 11:21:58 AM »
Thought I would post this - http://www.ronmartblog.com/2011/10/hands-on-canon-eos-1d-x-lots-of-photos.html

Not a huge amount new here but there are some details on the RAW buffer that I haven't seen elsewhere and some thoughts on the high ISO capabilities.
5D3|TS-E 24 II|TS-E 17|TS-E 90|200-400/1.4x|MP-E 65|100/2.8 IS Macro|70-200/2.8 IS II||16-35/2.8 II|EOS M

canon rumors FORUM

New 1DX review with AF info
« on: October 31, 2011, 11:21:58 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: New 1DX review with AF info
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 11:49:51 AM »
About the 14 fps mode, he states, "In addition, it only supports JPEG so its pretty useless in most scenarios," then about the in-camera CA correction, he states, "While this feature was available for select Canon lenses in DPP before, its now possible in camera where people will actually use it. Woohoo!"  Woohoo indeed, except that the first statement also applies to the second, so if shooting in JPG is useless, so is in-camera CA correction since it applies only to JPGs (and merely toggles the setting ON in the RAW metadata, just like peripheral illumination correction does now, both of which apply only if you use DPP).

This, I like: "The programmable buttons on the front of the camera mean that you can finally program mirror lockup to a hard button without having to go into the menu."
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 12:02:05 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

kirispupis

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 01:23:35 PM »
I believe his issue with the 14 fps mode isn't really that it only works in jpg - but that you must lock focus and can't see through the viewfinder.  This makes the mode a lot less useful.  Personally, I can see this being useful in sports like baseball, but I suspect I will rarely use it.
5D3|TS-E 24 II|TS-E 17|TS-E 90|200-400/1.4x|MP-E 65|100/2.8 IS Macro|70-200/2.8 IS II||16-35/2.8 II|EOS M

Picsfor

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 03:01:17 PM »
I'll stick with his conclusion.

I done a wedding reception on Saturday, and i was cursing only having 6400iso with H2 set to 25600.
I would have gone mad with the 51k iso and got sooo many more shots.

I was impressed with this camera when i tried it, but couldn't see the practical benefits over my 5D2's - sadly now i can see several benefits over it. AAANNNNNDDDDDD - i'd forgotten about multiple exposure mode. This was something i used often in film days being a mainly night time shooter!

2 x5D2's any one?  ::)

ronmart_blogspot_com

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 04:03:47 PM »
I believe his issue with the 14 fps mode isn't really that it only works in jpg - but that you must lock focus and can't see through the viewfinder.  This makes the mode a lot less useful.  Personally, I can see this being useful in sports like baseball, but I suspect I will rarely use it.

Look at the photo above that comment Joe - it is actually JPEG only.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 04:14:43 PM »
About the 14 fps mode, he states, "In addition, it only supports JPEG so its pretty useless in most scenarios," then about the in-camera CA correction, he states, "While this feature was available for select Canon lenses in DPP before, its now possible in camera where people will actually use it. Woohoo!"  Woohoo indeed, except that the first statement also applies to the second, so if shooting in JPG is useless, so is in-camera CA correction since it applies only to JPGs (and merely toggles the setting ON in the RAW metadata, just like peripheral illumination correction does now, both of which apply only if you use DPP).

This, I like: "The programmable buttons on the front of the camera mean that you can finally program mirror lockup to a hard button without having to go into the menu."

Actually, jpeg shooting for photojournalists can be a good thing.  They do not obsess over the last tiny bit of quality, speed of publishing the photo online is where the money is, the first one with a great image gets published and the journalist gets paid.  Thats why the network connection /wifi adapter will be popular for those where time is money. 

They can always develop the raw image for magazine or book publication at a later time.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 05:02:09 PM »

Actually, jpeg shooting for photojournalists can be a good thing.  They do not obsess over the last tiny bit of quality, speed of publishing the photo online is where the money is, the first one with a great image gets published and the journalist gets paid.  Thats why the network connection /wifi adapter will be popular for those where time is money. 

They can always develop the raw image for magazine or book publication at a later time.

I've watched sports shooters - they're completely uninterested in raw. They're also already using WiFi. Look at any camera setup for a grand slam tennis tournament - lots of WiFi adapters.

At some events, they can shoot upwards of 15000 images in a full day (I wouldn't be surprised if it was 20k or more) at 10fps. At 14fps, that's over 22,000. And yeah, at that rate the shutter needs replacing in less than a month at 400k cycle.

Oh, if it were raw and 1MB per MP, that's over 250GB of RAW data in a day. You can see why they want to work with JPEG.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 05:02:09 PM »

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 02:46:39 AM »
dilbert's post gives me a great visual of the modern sports photographer, wireless trigger clenched tightly in his tired, sweaty palm in the rainy stands at Wimbledon.  You can see him in some of the pics if you look closely enough, but at 18mp you'll not spot the tiny hint of a tear gathering in his eye.

In reality, there's always a potential for a big debate if you try to catch a sports photog with a question about speed firing.  Those who shoot a more traditional way will certainly appreciate a faster shutter and less viewfinder blackout, and even the faster shooting speed, but I've come across at least one pro who disdains firing away blindly in hopes that the right moment will be there.  If raw speed were the only consideration, you'd expect more sports photographers to be using DSLRs with video to just extract the right frame (we're at the point where resolution is more than enough for newspaper shots, and two-page spreads aren't too far behind).  And I've seen that argument run its course as well.

Multi-camera setups pose a real challenge for the craft, since you are getting many more opportunities for great shots, but ultimately less control over any one of those viewpoints.  Quantity over quality (if only to a small degree) - it's still a compelling argument, especially for photogs working alone.  The big names in the industry (SI for example) still seem to find the money to pair up one viewfinder with one pair of eyes, though.

About the linked article - nice go at it, but too many inspecifics and too many lessons taken away from too little data.  The JPEG-only 14 shots has been publicly known since DPR posted their stats breakdown, and I'm wary of the phrases peppered throughout this article like "sports shooters will be pleased," of which there are more than a few (though the wedding photographers and ISO line is hard to disagree with).  I'd pay more attention to the fact he's straining at some of the comparisons, like so:  "Time will tell if it is simply a match to the D3s or if they will be competitive with the D3s replacement."  Also: "I didn’t have enough time to test buffer flush performance."

There isn't much that seems like Irrational Exuberance! but much of it appears as speculation and known factoids repackaged with "hands-on" credentials.  At this point, I really don't care to see yet another simplistic-and-truly-unhelpful rain and buckets analogy for pixel pitch from another camera tech layman so we can learn what Chuck Westfall and Canon want us to know (whether or not it is strictly true or not).  If I lean up against a BMW in the showroom, does that mean I can offer "insights" into its handling?  Too many of the interesting insights of this piece are hard to find because you have to trudge through other stuff to get there.  Well, I suppose the insights into how this photographer (who is pretty typical) expects the camera to hold up would be interesting if the released camera deviates from them in some way, and also to see what things matter (unsurprisingly, the new batteries and charger get a mention).
I don't think Michael Reichmann will be the first to buy this camera, though it's nice to hear Canon finally listened.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:01:06 AM by Edwin Herdman »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 02:46:39 AM »